NBCUniversal Reviews | Glassdoor

1,373 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,373 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance not supported (in 45 reviews)

• Always are compensated for long hours (in 81 reviews)

"Intern at NBC Sports"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Stamford, CT

Pros

Great corporate atmosphere and learning experience

Cons

At times there wasn't much work to do so day dragged on

"Stage hand"

Former Employee - Head Electrician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head Electrician in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full benefits , great pay. It has a strong union on site. Shifts start and end outside of rush hour.

Cons

Union is to strong here, so little room for growth development. Some of the bad coworkers therefore sneak into the system and are locked into positions that they don't deserve.

Advice to Management

Increase availability to grow within the company

Jun 21, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hello! Thanks for writing this review! It really seems like you've found a cohort of supportive, kind people here at NBCUniversal. Working for such a diverse company where everything is intertwined ... More

3. "Full Time with Benefits Until Shift to Freelance/Contractor System"

Former Employee - Senior Television Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Television Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with some good people, great benefits at the time, relatively good job security for the industry

Cons

Very corporate, merit increases were small, hard to move up without leaving the company first then returning at a different level

"Ok"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time

Pros

NBC Universal is a great place to learn your craft. The people are great. Many of the departments work as teams and help each other.

Cons

Unfortunately the corporate culture of Comcast is not as warm and fuzzy as they say they want to be. They have a strange Human Resources department.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if they spoke to middle management and lower levels to see where the work needs to be done.

Jun 21, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We're happy to hear that you've been having a positive experience at NBCUniversal. Our Talent Development team has a variety of career ... More

"Best TV Studio to Work For"

Former Employee - TV Production in New York, NY
    Former Employee - TV Production in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair salary
    Great access to benefits
    Company acts like a family, takes care of their own and will help raise you up
    I've worked with them twice on fixed-term jobs (an internship and one season of a TV show), would definitely work with them again

Cons

Their online job application process very rarely gets you an interview, you really have to know someone to get an interview for any NBC job

Jun 21, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review! We're happy to see that you're having a great time at NBCUniversal. We believe that our employees are what make this company special, and the perks aren't ... More

6. "Theme Park HR in disarray"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free park tickets, close to citywalk for lunch

Cons

The HR department at Universal Studios Hollywood has been turning over at an alarmingly high rate this past

year thanks to mismanagement, being overworked and underpaid. The employee population behave like children and

you feel like having to babysit instead of professionally develop them. It's frustrating to expend so much

effort disciplining a minimum wage individual who can easily be replaced the next day by someone better.

Having to work odd hours during certain seasons also does not help.

Advice to Management

Hire higher quality candidates at the line-level. Bring up compensation for loyal, longtime employees.

"Ok place to work, not great, not bad"

Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the information technology department NBCU has newer technology. The things you work on are either tried and true or a few projects are latest and greatest technology. The Director level management is experienced and good at what they do. Health Benefits are on par with other Fortune 500 companies. Not the best i have ever seen but certainly not the worse either.

Cons

My first line manager was young and a bit immature. He was given to throwing temper tantrums. It was probably that it was too soon for him to have direct reports, he may have done better if he does a stint as a team lead lead first, This happens a lot a person maybe a good technologist but poor at managing people. The data center infrastructure has grown out of control, no real rhyme or reason(i,e, standards). It can get a little frustrating. Its a 24x7 operation but staffed as if it is 12x5 as a result you do tend to work a lot of hours. For the NYC area the pay isn't that great. NYC area is a very expensive market but the salaries are comparable to the midwest.

Advice to Management

None really, The IT department was so disconnected from the broadcast business that you dont really feel like you are a part of NBCU. I was a direct employee to NBCU but it might as well have been a contract job. Thats not really negative it just is what it is.

Jun 21, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review! We really appreciate your time with NBCUniversal, and we're happy to see that your experience was a good one. We're sorry to hear about your experience ... More

8. "Studio Manager"

Former Employee - Studio Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great, dedicated people to work with. Keep the place running no matter what at the highest level of skill and professionalism. An unconventional workplace where having a sense of humor, loyalty to co workers and work ethic fit well together.

Cons

Management structure is weak and very top heavy. Too much focus on metrics, power points, presentation of narrative and "the story", and not on the work they are managing. Few tech savy hi end managers in a technical business. In my experience more are working to keep their jobs then to do them. To actually delegate, manage and make decisions.

Advice to Management

Be undercover bosses. HR in Comcast Era WAY too involved in day to day TV Ops, yet know little about how TV Ops works. In line with the top heavy management structure. The culture and values (see ratings below) are noble but IMO Mid Upper management and HR fail to live up to.

Jun 21, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there! Thanks so much for leaving this review. We're happy to see that you care as much about NBCUniversal on a personal level as you do professionally. That sense of family and community is ... More

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Ad Sales Research Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ad Sales Research Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Successful networks facilitate motivation, summer Fridays.

Cons

Politics/gossip between teams, not collaborative, little vacation time (10 days).

Jun 21, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

"Corporate vibe with little room to maneuver"

Former Employee - Data Coordinator in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Data Coordinator in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting salary and benefits that cover the employee and family. Annual raises based off of good performance. Friendly atmosphere within the department.

Cons

Corporate feel took over after managerial/operational changes were made. There is no room to maneuver between different job settings. There is no incentive to work harder to try and move up. There is a vast disconnect in treatment between inter company employees for whatever reason.

Advice to Management

The VPs need to vet the management/directors more closely. Management uses lesser employees to do more work and to deflect blame if things do not go well.

Showing 1,373 of 1,793 reviews