NBCUniversal Reviews | Glassdoor

1,323 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,323 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No respect of employee work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Always are compensated for long hours (in 80 reviews)

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal (More than 3 years)

Pros

NBC has some wonderful divisions and plenty of room for career growth if you work within one of these divisions.

Cons

While working at NBC I worked in two divisions, one was fabulous, but the other one was a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Divisions with continuous employee churn have management issues.

2. "Camera Operator"

Former Employee - Camera Operator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Camera Operator in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Wonderful people and strong workers Union

Cons

I don't have any negative feelings about working for NBC TV

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep doing what you are doing

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there - Thanks for leaving this review. We're glad to see you enjoy our company culture and environment. We take pride in our community atmosphere and in the great talent we have. Best of ... More

3. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - CAE in White Marsh, MD
    Former Employee - CAE in White Marsh, MD

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money, friendly enviornment and great benefits

Cons

Work nights and had to close every day

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there - Thanks for leaving this review. We're glad to see you are satisfied with your compensation and employee packages. If you are unsatisfied with your hours, we recommend reaching out to ... More

5. "Overall good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Universal City, CA

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fun perks, good work life balance, good education and career furthering opportunities

Cons

Pay could be more competitive, just like any other company the overall company can be great but what division you land in can make or break you.

Advice to Management

Really take a good look at the people you have calling the shots and pulling all the strings. Make sure those people are actually qualified to do so and above all, please make sure they are fit to lead people. Every person that comes into the company that has direct reports (and those that are in the company now with direct reports) should really take the JUMP course. It is billed as a class for new managers but it should be mandatory.

6. "NBC Peacock Productions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can get benefits after a certain period. Some positions offer overtime. People that are mean don't last long and everyone is general pleasant to work with.

Cons

Rates are low. Some people get taken advantage of and work insane hours. They rarely promote. It's nearly impossible to advance your career at this company.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees and explore employees talents that are definitely being under utilized.

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there - Thanks for leaving this review. We're glad to see you enjoy our employees benefits packages. If you are unsatisfied with your compensation we recommend reaching out to your departments ... More

7. "social media manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Universal City, CA

I have been working at NBCUniversal (More than 5 years)

Pros

great company, good pay, good perks.

Cons

short contracts, can be clicky

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there - Thanks for leaving this review. We're glad to see you enjoy our employee benefits package. We sorry to see you feel as though our environment can be cliquey. We recommend reaching out ... More

8. "Learned a lot and met really great people"

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at NBCUniversal (Less than a year)

Pros

Was exposed to a great deal within the television industry, met great contacts

Cons

Occasionally felt undervalued, pay is very low

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there - We're glad to see you enjoy our company environment and feel as though you have increased your network connections. We're sorry to hear you are unsatisfied with your compensation. We ... More

9. "Large Company, decent culture"

Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company. Multiple divisions and departments. Decent benefits.

Cons

Because the company is so large, it doesn't feel united or consistent/fair. Could offer much better perks.

Advice to Management

Increase employee moral by offering similar perks, opportunities, and events to all employees, especially when they work on the same brands/divisions.

"Beware"

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time

Pros

None that I can think of other than working for an industry leader. If I remember correctly, their medical benefits were very good.

Cons

This is only in relation to the department and team I worked for. However, you'll see that this is also common across the company.

I want to warn everyone of my experience. A reorg occurred in my department where I was rolled up to a new manager and, essentially, a new team. The new manager was a micro manager who literally would go to my previous manager and ask questions about me. One incident that didn't set well with me is the fact that my previous manager told my new manager that I worked from home a lot. To clarify, the only time I worked from home was due to inclement weather which my previous manager advised all of us to do and a couple of days when there was a medical reasoning which my previous manager told me to work from home (I didn't even ask they told me to). Well, when I rolled up to the new manager within the first couple of weeks I received an email from him stating that from conversations with my previous managers he became aware that I was not in the office a lot. Then he went on to state that NBC has a strict in office presence and if I had questions to reach out to HR. I wrote back to the new manager questioning how he came to this (even though it was obvious my previous manager had said this) and explained to him the reasons I've worked from home 1) inclement weather and 2) my previous manager told me to.

Guess what...my new manager never replied or even acknowledged my email. A week went by and still nothing. Since he didn't acknowledge my email I decided to forward my response to my previous manager and asked if we could meet to clear the air and any misunderstandings. Guess what...my previous manager didn't reply or acknowledge my email either. Since that email, any time I'd pass my previous manager on the floor he would literally look past me to avoid eye contact. As I mentioned previously, it's a dog eat dog culture. I guess for calling him out on a lie, I was now to be treated differently.

A few months later I received another odd email from my new manager. In this email he starts it with "per our discussions". First, let me say that him and I never once had a performance discussion. Not once. But according to his email, him and I have had prior performance discussions. The email basically stated that he noticed some things that weren't up to par. 3 days later I was let go. When I asked him for clarification as to why I wasn't approached or spoken to about not meeting their expectations he said that he wasn't able to speak to that and to contact HR. Well I did just that. And all HR would say is you weren't meeting their expectations. Sound fishy?

FAIR WARNING to all. Since the time this happened to me I've heard multiple stories of this happening to others as well. A recruiter I was working with told me that his girlfriend worked there and left because they were doing that to her team. My wife's cousin had this happen to her as well. And one of my wife's cousins who is upper level management acknowledged that this is a typical thing.

I wish I had known this prior to accepting the job because I gave up a great offer for them. Now, I'm not saying this will happen to you, but knowing it's a norm there I wouldn't take the chance.

More and more cons...The PTO is horrible. You get 10 days vacation and no bonus unless you are management. HR also tries to low ball you to the bare minimum in regards to salary. Fight for what you're actually worth. HR initially told me they were only hiring at X amount. I told them that wouldn't work and some way some how they were able to come up $30k on the X amount they initially stated to me. The company clearly doesn't have their employees interest at heart. The company is trying to save money any way they can which would explain the severe amounts of turnovers that I mentioned and are also mentioned in other reviews.

Work to life ratio is horrendous. If you work there, be prepared for NBC to be your life. I was working 8-6 and then logging in from home until around 10 pm almost every single night. The crazy part. They expect this of you which is pretty evident in the low PTO. In their eyes, work first life second.

You've been warned (again, I can't say this experience will be for all teams/departments, but since it is known to be common there don't take this warning lightly).

Advice to Management

Properly train your employees. Respect others. Respond to employees.

11. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Training Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Training Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits! Great medical, dental, and fringe benefits.

Cons

My team was a little cliquey and it was very hard to get on the inside with the VP. You very much felt like an outsider if you were not in her inner circle.

Feb 13, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there - Thanks for leaving this response. We're glad to hear you enjoy our employee benefits packages. We value our employees and try to reflect that in our services and benefits options ... More

Showing 1,323 of 1,714 reviews