NBCUniversal Reviews | Glassdoor

1,321 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,321 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No respect of employee work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Always are compensated for long hours (in 80 reviews)

"My experience has been great. Have been able to grow within the company"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at NBCUniversal (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a great group of smart and creative people. I have been able to grow within the company. Management is open to diverse ideas.

Cons

Currently our office are located in an old building with bad parking. This will change soon; however, as we are expected to move.

Advice to Management

acknowledge talent at all levels

2. "Comcast buyout improved things, but there's still a lot of work to be done"

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comcast taking over from GE helped knock down a lot of silos, but remnants of the old-guard still remain. The benefits are good, but nothing that you can't find at another company.

Cons

There's a lot of top-down, "just do it" management styles in the company. People are largely friendly, but understand that even individual divisions have "big company" resistance to change for largely no reason other than inertia or politics.

Advice to Management

Let individual divisions be as nimble as start-ups

3. "Sourcing Manager"

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Universal City, CA

Pros

Decent Pay and really nice people as peers (not managers). Employees at NBCU who are not in sourcing are generally nice people. Great facility ( I worked on the lot/at the park). Onsite Starbucks and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Great cafeteria and fine dining on site. Plus access to Universal City Walk for lunch. Free movies. In short, great perks.

Cons

Sourcing department is cliquey and petty. They are not kind to each other or to contractors.

Advice to Management

Be kinder to each other and to employees. Promote those who deserve to be promoted.

5. "Producer"

Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a national network means that when you need it, you have alot of resources

Cons

No work/life balance, on call 24/7, little chance to grow

Advice to Management

Respect diverse opinions

NBCUniversal Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review! We are glad you enjoy the many resources we try to provide. NBCUniversal is invested in our talent and we are glad you feel this way! If you have specific issues ... More

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Legal Department in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Universal City, CA

Pros

Good people, good advancement, good vacation policies, great training initiatives

Cons

the pay is below market

NBCUniversal Response

Dec 6, 2016 – Talent Branding Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review! We are glad you enjoy the people, policies and environment! We appreciate this feedback. NBCUniversal has invested in our talent and we are glad you feel this way ... More

7. "GREAT PEOPLE"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NBCUniversal is a fantastic place to work for because of the people. They have an excellent benefits package (specifically vacation & retirement), which attracts top talent in the market. Working with a talented team inspires you to produce some incredible work. This is a company that wants to listen to your ideas and find ways to implement it if it helps the cause.

Cons

The pay is below market.

8. "Great Entertainment Company to work for"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NBCUniversal is a great place to work. People are nice, great office environment, great location. Great benefits.

Cons

You are just 1 person among many many others, as with many big companies communication from the top down could always be better

"Technical Support Analyst"

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposed to all the workings of an overall exciting and positive company (owned by Comcast) that includes SNL, Tonight Show w Jimmy Fallon, lots of cable channels (USA, SyFy, Bravo, Oxygen, COZI, more) and of course tons of News. 30 Rock is a great place with lots of history, good cafeteria, and prime views of the Rockefeller ice rink and Christmas tree. Great benefits, company phone, generally pleasant environment for such a huge corporation.

Cons

Specifically for IT- it's pretty amazing how nickel and dime and low-priority it seems deemed except everyone always needs help right away and lots of hand holding to understand even how to use technology. It also has a very healthy dose of nepotism which makes changing roles (jobs) within the company next to impossible on merit alone.

Advice to Management

IT leadership at NBCUniversal has a 1990's mentality in culture and seemingly hands-on experience. They see content to run a skeleton crew of support asking for multi-role abilities but paying far under the average salary. It is a slow revolving door of IT support which seems to suit them fine.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Streaming Coordinator in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Streaming Coordinator in Stamford, CT

I have been working at NBCUniversal (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of networking opportunity and career help

Cons

low pay, crumby hours and not much future

Advice to Management

Lead instead of manage because you will get better results

"Overall, was great, is now just good/average."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is overall good to employees, however it is a big company and as such, do not expect much personal treatment. The key is to get in to a good group/department run by a solid leader and there are a lot of resources that can be made available to you to help your career. Most coworkers are solid performers and there tends to be some room for advancement.

Cons

Comcast culture is permeating further into NBCUniversal. This was inevitable after the GE buy, but in my limited experience with it, I have not been impressed by what I have seen. Moreover, as they are coming in as the buyer, Comcast people don't seem to be as interested in hearing what experienced people have to offer in terms of operating a large network. Yes, Comcast had some channels on their own, but...let's be real in terms of their scale and reach. Vivendi and later, GE came in with much different approaches that I feel made the transition to "their way" much smoother.

Advice to Management

Listen to the good people you have already in place. Certainly you want to run your company your way, but there are lots of people who feel they were being ignored by management.

Showing 1,321 of 1,711 reviews