NBCUniversal Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated October 11, 2017

United Kingdom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance not supported (in 48 reviews)

• extremely long hours, hard to move up (in 86 reviews)

1. "Picture Perfect"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at NBCUniversal as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice open plan offices and friendly colleagues. Work is mainly progressive and there is generally a helpful attitude.
    Very good perks, in which the whole workforce is encouraged to participate.
    Perfect location

Cons

Communication between departments can sometimes be strained as the lines of responsibility are not always clear.

Advice to Management

Encourage better inter-departmental communication

2. "Business analyst"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at NBCUniversal as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work

Cons

complex release management process

Advice to Management

None,

3. "Amazing if you find the right team"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NBCUniversal as a contractor

Pros

Some incredible people around doing some interesting work.
    Cool culture and working environment.
    Free barista coffee :)

Cons

If you end up in the wrong team like I did, you're surrounded by permanent employees who have been here for years and no longer give a damn about anything - making your job unnecessarily difficult and stressful. There's nothing worse than a team around you that has 0 interest and motivation when you're on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Typical day-to-day runaround politics you find in an internationally based American corp.

Advice to Management

Weed out the weak links in your team.

"Good... but no cigar!"

Current Employee - Commercial Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time

Pros

Dynamic company, varied projects, great people. Benefits package is good but slowly falling behind other media companies ( lack of flexibility). Comprehensive training programs.

Cons

endemic macro management, lack of independence, highly political. Resource always an issue and decision making can be diabolical. Lack clear career progression.

Advice to Management

delegate, empower, empathise. repeat ...

Sep 11, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review! We're happy to see that you're having a great time at NBCUniversal. We believe that our employees are what make this company special, and the perks aren't... More

5. "Strategy"

Former Employee - Strategy in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Strategy in London, England (UK)

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have made some great movies.

Cons

Dull and unispiring management who sadly undervalue their staff.
    Zero dynamisim fuelled by a highly corporaate culture.
    Management that's been there way too long.
    A channels busines in denial especially when the facts are there for all to see.

Advice to Management

Take a step out of your glass offices and spend sometime with the people who make you look good. Appreciate them. Senior leaderships view of the company and reality are vastly different. Just attend a town hall. All the pizazz but no real punch.

6. "Working Title Films - abysmal recruiting procedure"

Current Intern - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NBCUniversal as an intern

Pros

Working Title Films is a highly respected production company

Cons

Salary is poor - 20k - in London you'll feel like you're below the poverty line.
    Process for recruitment is atrocious - disorganised,no timeline, e-mails ignored by recruiting team, protracted process (3 months+), insatiable demands for additional application material eg. hear nothing for 2 months then get an e-mail on Thursday with two 90 page scripts which must be analysed by Monday. Hear nothing for a month then get 24hrs notice to complete a video interview etc. Even at the interviews the recruiting team had no idea whether it represented the final stage of selection or not.
    - Intern scheme is ad hoc, essentially a dogsbody position - not the structured training programme advertised - making tea, photocopying and being tied to a phone are all likely to be the main experience gained during the year with little exposure to actual production work and no guarantee of employment beyond the year.

-The interview team said they would provide feedback when they had the time - 4 months on and I've spoken to other candidates none of whom received feedback.

Advice to Management

Treat your candidates as people. Be professional. Display the traits you ask your applicants to demonstrate.

7. "Really great company; no unexpected downsides"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at NBCUniversal (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, great office location, excellent leadership and access to great talent. A great employer and a business that makes really sound decisions and is very profitable

Cons

Slow moving, decisions take a long time and a lot of stakeholders. It is easy to get lost in this organisation because it's so big- the onus is on you to network your way through that. There is a tendency to hire externally rather than promote internal talent. Poor performers can sometimes linger in this company without being properly managed or let go. All of this is probably common of large companies and perhaps particularly in the uk.

Advice to Management

Make it clear to junior staff who the ultimate decision is maker in each situation. Can be hard to know who that person is- often many cooks in the kitchen. Run leaner teams. Encourage more internal recruitment at all levels and especially from one division to another- e.g home entertainment to TVD.

"International"

Former Employee - Distribution Coordinator | Applicaon Support Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at NBCUniversal (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent atmosphere, benefits and office. Colleagues are supportive and approachable, even at senior level.

Cons

Difficult to progress but understandable within such a big company

Advice to Management

A bit more integration between departments.

"Flexible company"

Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time

Pros

Fun company where everyone is accessible

Cons

Career progression and all decisions are made in the US

Advice to Management

Less politics and make decisions yourself

May 8, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review! We're really happy that you're having a fun time working for NBCUniversal. We think it's a great place to be too! Keep up the great work and we hope... More

"Great company, not so great managers and projects."

Former Employee - Web Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Really easy going environment. Amazing central London location. Great pension plan. Movies and DVDs.

Cons

Impossible to get things done. Dull projects that in fact nobody like. Unrealistic deadlines. Really basic to non existent project management. Project managers don't have the basic knowledge for doing what need to be done. NBC Universal is a company for contractors, nothing more nothing less. Permanent staff is a rare specimen, therefore you'll see people disappear suddenly or they won't care at all. Contractors are really protective of their job, and they will stab you with a smile. Half of the time you'll get paranoid about decisions that are made and things will be dropped at you without previous briefing. For all the time I've been there I didn't know who my line manager was and nobody knew who should accept holidays requests. Like a million of other corporations they are too big to fall, but from the inside you won't understand how they stand. Tons and tons of legacy code to deal with. Really keen to blame people without even trying to get to the root of the problem.

Advice to Management

Please stop being so blind and start getting your hands on the the way your projects are managed if you don't understand why things are not delivered. Contractors won't give a damn about your company. You should really start getting people aboard who will care about the company.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. While we're proud to offer great perks to our employees, we believe that they should never be a focus. We want to make sure our employees... More

Showing 43 of 1,971 reviews