NC Dept Of Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

NC Dept Of Insurance Reviews

2.9
Wayne Goodwin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Office of State Fire Marshal/Engineering and Codes Division is a wonderful place to work."

Former Employee - Education Program Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Education Program Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Although many roles require that you work alone, everyone is willing to help/assist when necessary, Great team environment. There is room to grow within your roles - to a point. Also, work schedules were easily adaptable for life and family circumstances. Generally there was no micro-management as management trusted employees to perform their duties/responsibilities without being overbearing.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunity. Most of the positions are terminal in that there you could only grow/increase your responsibilities to a point. Although there is a lot of opportunity for one to gain longevity/experience in their role, there is no opportunity for you to move into a position of greater responsibility. Also, with any state agency, the money is much less than you would make in the private sector and there is no opportunity for annual raises. Merit raises are almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

A few of the positions need to be rewritten due to changes in processes and technology. Also, offer more merit raises. You have a lot of good people without whose help the department/division would not be as effective as it is. Look for ways to reward your employees. Many of them feel that they are not appreciated.

2. "Still believe in the Good Ole Boy System"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a government position so benefits are fairly good. Health Care, vacation, sick days, community service time, state pension and retirement account were a big plus.

Cons

Raises depended on the legislature. There were years we only received additional vacation leave. Four raises in thirteen years. Management believes in the do as I say not as I do policy. Employees were belittled, treated with little to no respect, and women especially were held to a different standard. Filing a grievance was tantamount to placing a large red target on your back. If you filed a grievance and were a woman, you were labeled as difficult, a troublemaker and so on. Even though we were a regulatory agency, management and their friends felt that they could circumvent the law and but required staff to comply and even more so required staff to firmly regulate the other agencies we oversaw. Very stressful place to work.

3. "Not a good place for women or architects"

Former Employee - Building Code Consultant, Engineering and Codes Division in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not too many Pros are left. Most of the fun staff have left for other jobs or have been reduced in force ( rif)

Cons

Lots of COns, Very prejudicial toward educated women, Architects are considered second class citizens, if you have an engineering degree and have never worked in a regulatory field you are considered an "expert" . Very much the "good ole boy" network is sin play here

Advice to Management

Management need to review hiring practices, afford training for staff and management and rewrite a lot of job descriptions. Management needs to set an example for staff. Currently they follow the " do as I say, not as I do" rules.

4. "Excellent work environment; however the pay and benefits are horrible."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Management is wonderful and very caring.
    Professional and well arounded employees

Cons

Pay and benefits are horrible. At the mercy of the state legislature to approve any pay raises and whatever raises we receive goes directly to healthcare cost. No cost of living adjustment.

5. "GREAT Place to work!"

Current Employee - Continuing Education Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Continuing Education Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

There are some really nice employees within the department. Most people are genuinely helpful and will lend a hand or their expertise when needed. Supervisors are readily accessible and very respectful of your concerns/feelings. I have been able to take on greater responsibilities, thus allowinfg me to increase my professional development.

Cons

The only downside of working at NCDOI is that because of the current state of the economy we were not given a cost of living raise this year and probably won't receive one for some time to come. Additionally, state government pays a lot less than the private sector. But even in light of the aforementioned (pay/raise), the experiences gained, both personally and professionally, far outweigh the rate of pay. Not to mention, having any job these days (due to the economy) that is NOT overly stressful and a place where you really enjoy the people and environment/atmosphere with whom and in which ypou work is quite rare.

Advice to Management

At this point there is really no advice I can provide in that I feel you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

6. "OSFM"

I have been working at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, somewhat flexible work hours

Cons

Pay low and micro management cause low morale among staff.

Advice to Management

Retire already and stop being an example of "ineffecient governement"

7. "TERRIBLE ATTITUDES & NEGATIVITY! Do not work here"

I worked at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time

Pros

A few nice people who were welcoming and easy to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Ridiculous family/friend network of negative employees. Many take advantage of the system and rip off the residents of the great state of NORTH CAROLINA.

Advice to Management

Clean house! Start over with all new staff. Or at least half new staff.