NCC Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
NCC Group Chief Executive Rob Cotton
Rob Cotton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I cannot think of many but they do have free fruit, tea and instant coffee on offer (in 6 reviews)

• Small pockets of good management; i (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you take your role seriously - Work life balance can be particularly challenging (in 4 reviews)

• There are no downsides that I have experienced, with hard work you can achieve a lot within the Company and this is recognized (in 4 reviews)

"Great place to work as a consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Security Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Security Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NCC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Lots of training opportunities
    * Fast-paced
    * Lots of smart colleagues who love their jobs
    * Very positive, collaborative atmosphere - no backstabbing or excessive gossip
    * Openness to inexperienced people who are smart & capable of learning quickly
    * More equal gender balance than the cybersecurity industry as a whole (at least in the SF office)

Cons

No major cons.

Some of the pros can be a double edged sword -- the fast pace, constant learning, and being surrounded by incredibly smart people is rewarding, but it can also be intimidating or stressful for some people.

Jun 6, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. You are right and we are delighted to offer training opportunities to all our employees! Our passionate employees who love working at NCC Group are plentiful, which is... More

"No good direction for NCC Group going forward"

Former Employee - Security Consultant
    Former Employee - Security Consultant

I worked at NCC Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can have a passive interest in security and come from different backgrounds, and still get hired to do consulting work. Co-workers are the nicest & friendliest bunch you'll ever meet. There are free snacks & drinks.

Cons

Management, especially top management in the UK, do not care that senior-level and top talent are fleeing in greater numbers in the US. There is a lot of work load and junior consultants are not properly trained, therefore a lot of work is being left to senior consultants. I've personally been taken to a conference room and yelled at. I've witnessed discrimination of another employee whose outside recognitions aren't being considered. Pay and morale are low. As another review mentioned, there is an interim CEO, and given that this is a public company, any revenues are going to shareholders rather than to the hard-working consultants, which I guess is typical.

Advice to Management

Listen to your consultants when they voice concerns, and don't brush them off or ignore the issue. Hire regional management that cares for its employees.

"Operations Need Attention"

I have been working at NCC Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers
    - Good work/life balance
    - Focus on learning and growth
    - Empowered to be creative in problem solving

Cons

- Lack of transparency
    - Ineffective management/lack of leadership
    - Needs improvement of internal operations
    - Reactive as opposed to proactive

Advice to Management

Be transparent about decisions and changes being made. Value your operations team and give them the resources to make the much needed process changes. Work on better integrating with the acquisitions and communicating on the progress. Promote individuals into leadership positions based on aptitude for management rather than on tenure.

Jun 27, 2017

Thank you for your candid feedback! We highly value your input, especially as you’ve been with the company for several years and have experienced a lot of our change and growth firsthand. While we... More

"NCC Group is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

NCC Group treats its employees extremely fairly. They work hard to provide a top tier work environment with extremely competitive pay and perks. The work is rewarding and interesting.

Cons

The work performed at NCC Group is top tier and not easy. It is extremely competitive. Besides the difficulty, the fact that you work with people from other cities, remotely, can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage collaboration across offices and within.

Jun 9, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We are proud that working at NCC Group is fair, challenging and rewarding - our talented employees drives our business forwards so we are pleased that work is never dull... More

"2nd Review"

I have been working at NCC Group full-time

Pros

Management and leadership is not strong so self-direction is possible with regard to setting your career direction. This is a good place for folks who don't need to be told what to do, how to do it or need a lot of affirmation. But...

Cons

...you won't be rewarded for it. The time for independent thinking is over: The culture has transitioned from smart folks being appreciated to getting ahead if you look, dress, talk, act the part, and know now to be obsequious. Speaking truth to power isn't acceptable anymore.

Top level folks are in serious denial. The rank and file are all sensitive to large number of staffers, especially long-timers and senior folks leaving in a short period of time. Unfortunately, unless root problems are addressed, the exodus will continue.

Morale is low for the company but enthusiasm regarding technical project work remains stable.

Pay is on the low-side so the hires in non-tech positions are not the cream of the crop; this means that work problem-solving experience and general business savvy is low.

Advice to Management

Take a good, hard look in the mirror. Fewer and fewer people believe it when you say that everything's fine and that things are under control. Also, they fired the CEO so there's an interim person in there.

"Great"

I worked at NCC Group full-time

Pros

Leaders in their field, good benefits

Cons

Driven by UK HQ, no autonomy in the Us.

Mar 3, 2017

Thank you for uploading your review! We are proud to be leaders, our colleagues and leadership teams work really hard to offer the best solutions for our clients. Organizationally, as we continue to... More

"Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NCC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

somewhat like a start up tech company, alot of young and friendly people.

Cons

management is poorly and lack of guidance.

Jan 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to upload your review, we really value feedback at NCC Group and hope that we can chat so we can understand your view further; at NCC Group, we are proud of our... More

"Dream Job"

I have been working at NCC Group full-time

Pros

NCC Group provides amazing growth opportunities as long as you are proactive and willing to apply yourself. You are constantly put in a position to learn and expand your technical skills directly from the projects and tasks as well as from the people around you. They are also very supportive of research and training, allowing you to have some direct control over what you learn.

Cons

A pro for some, con for others: the environment is often fast pace with new projects every 2-3 weeks and sometimes no "free time" in between. Keeps you busy but constantly learning.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and supporting their career growth. Some will stick around for a long time, others will find opportunities they cannot pass over, but both are good things and the results of your investment in them.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at NCC Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

NCC Group is a fast-paced, exciting Company to work within and for, the Group is growing and you get to work alongside some of the most talented colleagues and the leadership team are extremely approachable. There are plenty of opportunities and your career is truly invested in; its a fun place to work and great that the Company supports nationwide charities!

Cons

There are no downsides that I have experienced, with hard work you can achieve a lot within the Company and this is recognized.

Advice to Management

It is great to hear from the senior leadership team, as it inspires you - it would be great if more talks could be held, even via webinars!

"NCC Group Security Consulting"

I have been working at NCC Group full-time

Pros

Security consulting is an excellent division of the company. The large client portfolio ensures consistent challenging and interesting projects. There is no micro-managing at NCC Group. If you commit yourself to the company and dedicate your time to learning and working hard for two years you will have the skills required to be an advanced security engineer on any infosec team in the the bay area.

Cons

Consulting is constrained by human capacity. Sometimes your schedule can get hectic because there are so many projects in the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Make firm decisions quickly and hand them down company wide so there is more transparency and less confusion/ room for interpretation.