NCH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 3, 2017

1.0
Irvin L. Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits with plenty of opportunity to excel (in 8 reviews)

• Steady employment, with a lot of good people who work for the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • very little career development, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• company tends to be pretty old school and stuck in there ways (in 5 reviews)

"Would not recommend to anyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very few if any. Some good people work there.

Cons

- Horrible management. They just complain about how their people don't work hard enough although everyone is answering emails at all hours of the night.
    - Systems are incredibly dated. CIO made the comment that they hadn't put a lot of money into the systems for over 10 years. How does a company function like that?!?
    - Pay is consistently 15%-20% below market value.
    - 2 weeks of vacation for the first 5 years is absurd in todays market and competitive job pool.
    - No maternity leave or no paternity leave. You have to go on FMLA for maternity leave. Really no paid leave at all.
    - Workforce is aging rapidly. Too many times I was told "well this is how we've always done it". New thoughts and processes are encouraged.
    - Everything is very sneaky and you always have to watch your back.
    - You are lied to constantly by Sr Leadership who keep just saying "everything is ok" when the staff knows its not.
    - Offices are old and dated. They do not encourage team events or have any culture at all. Everyone is constantly unhappy and complains. Turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Try to make it a fun place to work. Focus on the younger generation. Stop being "YES" men to your CEO and the Family. Treat your employee with respect.

2. "Sales agent"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at NCH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality products. Well known as being the most expensive products out there with the quality being the same as everyone else.

Cons

Poor management. Poor customer support. They can't wait to terminate you so they can give your accounts to a senior agent.

Advice to Management

Get better managers

"Stay away from ERP Group in IT department"

I worked at NCH full-time

Pros

- Some folks are friendly.

Cons

- No growth
    - I worked in ERP implementations, Stay away from IT department.
    - Cheap politics, No professional behavior at all.
    - Managers think they are flexible, have skills.., but you see old school approach
    - If you need "just" a job, Don't care anything else.. this is the place

Advice to Management

- Senior Management needs to think of new ideas, new culture.

4. "IT intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Irving, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There're lots of smart, hard working colleges working there.

Cons

You are not assigned any meaningful tasks. As an IT person, you are asked to burn CDs or help others to install new computers. Are you kidding me? The management totally suck. Every week they will have a study group which ask everyone to make a 20-min presentation about the book, 7 habits of highly effective people. Besides, no one can return after you finish the internship. The wage is absolutely lower than the average. Everyday there're tons of boring meetings have to attend. The company is full of old people, old-dated technology and official politics. This job for me is totally an insult.

"stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Cant Reveal for Fear of Retaliation in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Cant Reveal for Fear of Retaliation in Dallas, TX

I worked at NCH full-time

Pros

If you love old technology and out of date processes, this place will be a dream come true for you. If you join with high hopes for improvement, don't worry they'll beat you down soon enough. I worked at one of the divisions of NCH, but don't worry they all operate pretty much the same.

Cons

First and foremost they have a dying distribution model. If you are not able to sell a lot of overpriced products, or you work in a non-sales role you'll never make more than scrooge's assistant. They refuse to update to any modern technology, or processes for that matter. Ideas are met with "that's not the way we've done things for the last 35 years."

Advice to Management

consolidate the divisions for Corp level processes. Leverage your strongest internal people in that consolidation. Realize that your people without experience elsewhere are not likely to help you innovate and grow. Reduce brands and work on building brand recognition for those that remain. Consolidate most of the divisions sales forces. Standardize pay plans. Have more people selling all the products. The consolidation will reduce the internal workforce needed- especially the upper management. Then pay the remaining people well. You have to know you are paying well below market in some positions. Oh and maybe insist on high ethical standards in sales. I don't know how some of those folks can live with themselves.

"TWILIGHT ZONE - FRIDAY THE 13TH IS EVERYDAY!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Irving, TX

Pros

Apply at your own risk.

Cons

Prehistoric processes. Absolutely no innovation. Management operates like it's 1919 - no vision. Absolutely no work life balance. Reprimanded for being 1 and 2 minutes late. Absolutely no opportunity for growth. Worst working environment ever - morale doesn't exist here.

Advice to Management

Need immediate development and updates to staff. Insecure. Deathly afraid of progress. Non forward thinkers should not be in position of leadership.

"Past Employee in IT Department"

Former Employee - Technical Service Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Service Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are very nice and easy to get along with. Lower Stress environment compared to most other companies. Depending on your manager, hopefully you won't be positioned anywhere in IT and then it can be a decent place to work.

Cons

Extremely low pay compared to other companies for the exact same position. $15-20K less than normal average for technical positions, with little chance for any kind of decent pay increase.
    Horribly blind upper mngmt and owners. They do not see how much good talent is escorted out of the building by the HR department hatchet.
    The good people that are demanding increases to normal pay scale levels are quietly removed from employment while the lazier, less qualified and less expensive employees are maintained.
    Corporate Headquarters building is antiquated as is most equipment required to do your job.

Advice to Management

Fire all of the existing HR department employees and start over again with people who are honest, fair and won't fire people for trumped up reasons just to make the numbers look better. It is really sad that such a fun, friendly and talented group of employees are held back and under paid because it could be an excellent place to work with the family culture. If the owners knew what went on right under their nose they would have to remove almost all of HR as well as 2 or 3 other teams.

"Worst Company I Have Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Colony, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My only positive comment about this place was that the cubicles were big and not shared so you had a little bit of privacy. The best part of the day was walking out of the door at 5:00 pm.

Cons

Stagnate business with very little growth. No training, no set expectations, and no guidance led to not knowing how to do your job and then reprimands for not doing your job correctly. It was a constant cycle of asking for training, not getting the appropriate training, and then being told you aren't doing your job correctly. There is no team work as no one is willing to help you out. The consensus tends to be "that's not my job". Very old school in management style. Likes to utilize a skeleton crew so you will be overworked and underpaid. Outdated equipment and supplies makes it extremely difficult to do your job. Forget about working from home! It takes an act of God to get the appropriate permissions and equipment needed to work from home.

Advice to Management

I have no confidence in management whatsoever. I went to several managers with concerns and questions which they were completely dismissive about.

"Do not work in IT! Business folks are cool. Nothing ground breaking happening. Clock watchers stuck in The dark agaes!"

Former Employee - Global Implementation Team Lead for ERP Systems in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Global Implementation Team Lead for ERP Systems in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady and frugle, yes that is the only pro.

Cons

Technology, lack of budget, poor management, unqualified directors with egos who take every opportunity to fail to lead, inspire or communicate effectively with their teams.

Advice to Management

Be flexible, allow work from home, quit watching clocks, respect your employees. Get some some management training for those IT managers

"Terrible."

Former Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really.... We were off on weekends? That's about it. There was never really anything good going on there.

Cons

I was a receiving supervisor at the Irving plant. I was terminated with no cause. I was trained for two days and thrown out in my own. My team wasn't allowed to work overtime but everyone else did, putting us constantly behind. When I filed for unemployment they lied and am said I had been written up multiple times with no proof. Because I never had a reprimand. They told the unemployment office I wasn't qualified to do my job... I was there 13 months. Worst company ever.

Advice to Management

You should all be let go.