NCH Reviews | Glassdoor

NCH Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Irvin L. Levy

Pros
  • Good benefits with plenty of opportunity to excel (in 8 reviews)

• Cort makes every attempt to make the climate fun and family oriented through the NCH Fun Squad (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Really low pay, calling the same dead accounts month after month (in 6 reviews)

• company tends to be pretty old school and stuck in there ways (in 5 reviews)

"Great most of the time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

NCH as a company is great! The people are some of the best I have worked with.

Cons

Management does not know what they are doing. They will lie on your review if they do not like you.
    They believe in deliverables only, they do not care about quality. It was not always this way.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Be honorable, if you do not like them, do not lie on them. Quality code is important, because that is less support you will have to do. Do not worry about checking off your list only.

"Highly Micromanaged"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Sales training program in St Louis did a good job of teaching someone how to deal with any conceivable objection.

Cons

Chemsearch had me prospecting over 90% of time. Their sales training program wanted us to utilize a whole host of "novelties" (GIVEAWAY GIFTS) during our initial warmup before sales pitch. As an example, secretary/"gatekeepers' would be given hand lotion, most male prospects would be given a pliers plus multitool or fishing filet knife during warmup.
    My boss wanted me to make "70 dials" every Monday to get appointments with buyers! He would call me different times to know how many 'dials I had made thus far along with how appointments I had made. Then he would ride with me every week in field and break down every sales call to what I did right and wrong. Ultimately, I could not take the boss constantly calling me at home along with micromanaging sales calls so I happily RESIGNED ! Ironically enough, the day I resigned, I recieved a company memo showing, I was top dog for number of new accounts.

Advice to Management

If I am getting the new accounts for your company.....then leave me alone !!! Let me adopt my own sales approach which worked ! If your own trainers boast in class that 60-70% of new hires in class wont be here one year from now, then you have a problem !!! I wrote this review after seeing Chemsearch running employment ads again for each of 2 major cities in my state.

"Interesting but limited"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Small corporation giving room to grow; smaller teams make it easier to shine and get work done; they provide free drinks (soda and coffee)

Cons

The brand is not well known when deciding to move on to another company; there is a lack of diversity in the corporation;

Advice to Management

I would advice management to provide the employees with better salaries and try to increase the employee diversity to be more more diverse

"Its a job"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irving, TX

Pros

Professional atmospher
    Time off is fair and flexable
    Management style

Cons

Low salary
    No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Equally distribute accounts among tenure and new reps

"Great Company but Low Pay for Non-Managers"

Current Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, employee oriented company.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Below average pay.

Advice to Management

Look for qualified employees within the current ranks to fill needs. Many employees have much more experience and talent than the company realizes. Employees are pigeonholed into one division and unable to display all of their attributes.

7. "Overall it was good up until the point of my position being suddenly eliminated on a Tuesday"

Current Employee - Network Systems Analyst in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Network Systems Analyst in Macon, GA

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many divisions of different products with varying IT needs and requirements helped to provide exposure to a broad range of technology. Company upgraded entire infrastructure during my employment which allowed a good look at how things get done at all levels in that dept.

Cons

Unless you are willing to relocate to TX in the United States, upper level IT jobs are not there as all North American support is generally done out of HQ in Irving.

Advice to Management

When you acquire a company with competent personnel, macromanagement can be just as bad as micromanagement. An effort should be made to bring those people on as part of the team if they are kept through the acquisition process.

"If you like structure and standard practices this is a good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a Global based company with a wide variety of services & products. The company is pretty stable and has good benefits.

Cons

The hard work isn't always recognized by individual contributors. Thinking outside the box is not viewed in a positive light from all the business areas.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better communication strategy. Let your direct reports and their employees know expectations and vision

"Lack of strategic clarity/alignment. Limited upward mobility."

Pros

Pleasant work environment, fitness center.

Cons

Poor overall communication between management and mid-managers. Lack of clarity and alignment around corporate strategic goals. Limited transparency around corporate problems/challenges inhibits ability to resolve them cross-functionally. Industry is in decline.

"Review 5 years in the making..."

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Able to skate by due to so much going on, no one realizes stuff isn't getting done because everybody thinks someone else is responsible for it so it just never gets done.

Cons

This billion dollar company is still being run like a mom and pop shop. Budgets are so strict some departments still have typewriters and are just unable to properly do their job...frustrated with not being provided adequate tools to do their job (but then get disappointing performance reviews for not doing a good/proper job) people get fed up and quit after 1-3 years. I feel their pain.
    Every single employee does the bare minimum to skate by and get their paycheck. There is no company pride.

Advice to Management

Open your wallet! You gotta spend money to make money. And remember every person below you needs to be treated like a human.

11. "Job Security"

Current Employee - Technical Service Chemist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Service Chemist in Irving, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented company, Stable company, looking for a long term job, this is the place for you.

Cons

salary are a bit lower that others if you don't work at the corporte building

Advice to Management

Encourage employees higher education.