NCI Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NCI President Brian J. Clark
Brian J. Clark

Pros
  • Up-front, good benefits, flexible, good admin, (in 15 reviews)

• HR information was very organized, pay was solid, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Plan to be absent if you find upper management comes down for introduction and "pep talks" (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of movement in upper management, Health insurance overpriced (in 6 reviews)

1. "PC Technician"

I worked at NCI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are new to IT and don't know what the hell you want to do. Its a start. Maybe.

Cons

Contract Woes, Low Pay, Top Heavy and Political.

2. "Run . . . Run Fast and Far from this company"

Former Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at NCI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mug and the pen they give you the beginning.

Cons

If I start getting into it, my PTSD will return. Sorry, can't explain the so many, horrific details.

Advice to Management

You have project managers that are working against the projects they're supposed to be managing.

"Bad management. Bad morale. Stay away!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at NCI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few people that care about your well-being and career. That's all I can say about this company.

Cons

Management is out for themselves. You are just a number and make you feel like you are lucky to have a job. Poor morale and no teamwork. High turnover. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees' concern and let them be part of a team. We are all experienced professionals that have a brain. Let us use it and make us feel that we matter. Change the dictatorship attitude and you might actually maintain good talented people.

"Worse than your average contractor"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I have been working at NCI (Less than a year)

Pros

We get a paycheck. The hours are standard so work and life balance is good. That is all the good I can say about NCI.

Cons

Upper management is clueless to what goes on.
    They waited till the last minute to tell us we need a new IT certification. Instead of paying for it them selves, they used a state funded grant and make the training time outside of working hours.
    401K is 50% of 6%, so if you put in 6% they only match 3%.
    Very strict work hours and lunch hours policy, we need approval to make time up, something that is very unusual for this business.
    We can only take time off in 4 hour blocks, they have never explained the reason for this.
    Only health insurance options are high deductible and have a high monthly premium.

Advice to Management

Shape up and do your employees right. Not paying for the certifications out of pocket for a requirement, and then making the training outside of work hours is wrong.
    Also pay attention to questions employees ask, I heard someone ask the question about the PTO policy and we never received an answer.
    You are a bad company and there is no way around it, you need serious restructuring to make working for you worth it.

6. "Software Tester"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC

I have been working at NCI as a contractor

Pros

I get a paycheck and appreciate the co-workers that actually work and know what they're doing. The team is what kept me around this long.

I have very little opinion on the Corporate level employees. This review is based off of my experience on a contract and most of the negativity is based off of my Project Manager.

Cons

Corporate isn't really involved in nor seems to care about what goes on within the contracts.
    Management acts immature and entitled. Favorites are played daily and lots of backstabbing occurs, almost feel like high school again.

Any PTO used is complained about by the PM, therefore you always need an explanation as to why you need to use it and in times that it is personal, that personal information is released to the team every time. If you say "I do not feel comfortable talking about it" he grills you harder, makes up lies about you, and trashes you to the team.

Interviews are based solely on what their resume says so you get crap workers that know how to make themselves sound good on paper and end up picking up a lot of extra slack without benefits. Bonuses and raises are few and far in between, if you can even convince them to give you one. However, I believe all of this was more on the PM versus NCI itself.

Documentation and training resources do not exist which causes more work and stress on current employee when new hires come in. As well as causes stress on the new hires because they have no idea what to do.

Advice to Management

I think corporate needs to come around more - there is a lot you don't see and a lot of people are afraid to speak up due to the PM, myself included.

Exit interviews with corporate would be better than exit interviews with the PM. Especially for employees near the Reston area. Prior co-workers have wanted to tell corporate about the issues and concerns they had when leaving but no one gave them the opportunity.

7. "I worked for AdvanceMed (an NCI company)"

Former Employee - Fraud Investigator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Fraud Investigator in Nashville, TN

I worked at NCI full-time

Pros

decent starting pay. I felt I needed to include a review for the parent company because they are in control of a good amount of the policies and procedures.

Cons

Aside from no raises and bad health insurance, my main issue I had while employed at AdvanceMed (NCI) was the lack of professionalism and proper procedures. For starters, AdvanceMed (NCI) micromanages their employees beyond belief. There is no room for your own intelligence or mind. Day to day you are bogged down with tasks and administrative requirements that take up so much time you barely have time to actually do "real" work. The turn over rate is extremely high. Someone is being fired or walking out once a week or every other week. Upper management is a joke. They do not care for their employees. Morale is extremely low due to this. They will threaten to dock your pay (even though legally they can't) and when you complain to HR, nothing happens. There is no proper training because they are so understaffed, you have to do your best to learn as you go. ( NOTE: Sitting in a board room learning about systems you don't have access to for another year DOES NOT COUNT AS TRAINING. ) But when you make a mistake, they will be quick to point the finger. Basically it is a high school clique. If you are lucky to be under a decent supervisor, your experience may not be as bad. But since most of the "good ones" have left by now, get ready to deal with gossip, pressure and unreal expectations.

Advice to Management

There is a reason the turn over rate is so high. Start listening to what the people are saying and actually make changes.

8. "Shadiest Large pub traded government contractor to date. The 'Enron' of Gov K Consulting."

Current Employee - IPT Lead in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - IPT Lead in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at NCI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Makes employees humble, nostalgic, and appreciative of their former ethical employers. Huge eye opener - will recognise the red flags next time for sure.

Cons

Being affiliated with this org- industry perceives you as unethical- limiting future employment opportunities. FT salary employees are really compensated as hourly employees

Advice to Management

What management?

"Not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at NCI (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work day, they pay twice a month

Cons

No training, terrible management, pay should be higher,

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees.

10. "RN Medical Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grove City, OH

I worked at NCI full-time

Pros

The management team is very nice. They try.

Cons

At times there is no work. Most times there is no direction. During my interview I told my soon to be manager I had lots of Medical Review experience, just not in the Medicaee world. I was assured I would be trained. Initially they tried. Then no work. And we say for 3-4 months. Then you had to turn in your reviews , let QA tear you apart and try to learn that way.

Problem is they had no no no training budget. QA was not initially told they would do the training. They thought we knew what we were doing and we're just idiots. They set you up for failure. You feel stuck between " well I'm an idiot and " screw this." Problem is the work I do really matters to me and to the Medicare trust fund. Just with the lack of training I don't think I ever did it right.

Management is nice. Manager is useless but ok. 2 supervisors new with no clue and only one that is super smart and has worked here for years.

Benefits are sub par except you can buy more vacation time.

Advice to Management

If you aren't going to train people then don't hire RNs that do not have Medicare experience. This was truly an awful experience.

11. "Not interested in helping employees, Secretive management"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Scott Air Force Base, IL
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Scott Air Force Base, IL

I worked at NCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employment, though temporary. Only good for a foot in the door job to gain experience or a security clearance, if needed.

Cons

Very very VERY low, not competitive salaries. Management kept secrets about project status until day of. Regular full time employees laid off without notice, by the hundreds after promising to backfill most positions elsewhere in the company a few days prior. Raises were promised for years but never followed through, even after I accepted a MUCH higher position within the company and waited a few more years. Tuition reimbursement is not an actual benefit, as they will force you to work UNPAID overtime to the point of having to drop classes after years of employment. Only interested in making the company look great for potential clients. Careless management. Not concerned about employees as a whole, from the very top down. Messy company making poor business choices in recent years.

Advice to Management

Offer honesty, flexibility, genuine care and concern for employees and their families and their health.