NCIRE Reviews | Glassdoor

NCIRE Executive Director & CEO Robert Obana
Robert Obana

1. "NCIRE"

I have been working at NCIRE full-time

Pros

The NCIRE staff is helpful, benefits are decent, pay is average

Cons

Though the NCIRE staff is helpful if you're working in research your direct supervisor may not actually be working for NCIRE

2. "Nepotism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I worked at NCIRE (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice worker bees. Treat employees with free food often.

Cons

Corrupt upper management. Nepotism over competency.

3. "great non-profit benefits"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate Iii-supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate Iii-supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NCIRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Retirement matching and increased PTO after time off. Very reasonable HR in general and lovely to work with. The experience will depend almost entirely on the PI and team you work with, not NCIRE itself.

Cons

Not easy to negotiate higher wages as some are linked to federal.

Advice to Management

More staff appreciation events

5. "Research coordination for multiple studies"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good, research environment with multiple projects and opportunities. Nice location, good working environment. Senior level researchers are polite and professional. Good place to start.

Cons

Low base pay for area. Additional resources es and equipment needed to successfully complete tasks may be hard to obtain. Lots of red tape and beurocracy.

"RAs, beware."

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NCIRE (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the clinical staff, from UCSF and the VA, are wonderful. They're also some of the most intelligent, talented clinicians and researchers.

The view of the bay from the VA is also incredibly beautiful.

Cons

Compensation is low relative to many of the RA jobs I've seen elsewhere, and living in the most expensive city in North America makes this pay rate particularly unattractive.

As someone who is passionate about the field in which I work(ed) and was genuinely trying to learn, my experience with my research group was unfulfilling. The environment felt stifling and there was very little training; I'm perfectly happy to learn independently, but more structure was needed. Because a person's experience here is so dependent on the group he/she works with, I'd strongly recommend applicants pay attention to and ask about the style of the lab, its culture, expectations, and the investigators/research staff with whom he/she will work to ensure it'll be a good mutual fit.

The research groups also felt really isolated from one another. I made an effort to chat with people I'd see occasionally in the hallways or common research areas, but there were no planned events--at least to my knowledge--to facilitate networking and learning opportunities that allow for a truly collaborative academic environment.

Working at the VA also has lots of its own challenges in that it's extremely bureaucratic and oftentimes frustrating to move things forward as a result. Unfortunately, I also frequently encountered VA admin staff, in particular, with pretty poor work ethic. Common things you'd expect from a medical center (e.g., routine janitorial service) were also almost non-existent in some of the buildings.

Advice to Management

Organize activities that would bring the research community together and encourage continued learning. I would have really appreciated symposiums, poster sessions, conferences, journal clubs, etc. to facilitate learning and collaboration, as would many other research staff.

Find a way to increase compensation--it's difficult to make ends meet in SF as it is.

I'm not sure how much NCIRE can influence the way the VA operates, but finding a way to mitigate some of the administrative hurdles, and quite honestly, improve the work ethic of some of the staff, would be incredibly helpful to achieving research goals.

Cleanliness needs to be a priority!!! My group had multiple experiences with rodents (sometimes dead and rotting--it was awful) and it was unbelievable how long it took for any staff to respond. There should be a same-day response, no questions asked. There are several other issues I could mention, but please, I can't emphasize enough how important this is to employees.

7. "Manager evil but HR didn't do enough to curtail."

I worked at NCIRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some of the best teams to work with and on interesting projects. There was some flexibility.

Cons

Manager was given too much freedom to get rid of people quickly. She was the MDs self proclaimed bulldog. Other managers within were probably fine.

8. "Pretty good"

I have been working at NCIRE full-time

Pros

Great retirement plan. People generally know what they are doing and are easy to work with.

Cons

The VA can be difficult to work with.

9. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Clinical Study Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Study Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NCIRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is decent, vesting is within 2 years, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

There really isn't any.

10. "Old School"

I have been working at NCIRE full-time

Pros

The retirement match is great.

Cons

Its not about what you know, it is who you know. If you chum up to a department manager (hang out, lunch) and convince the person that you are qualified to work in their department, WITHOUT EXPERIENCE, you can pretty much work in any department, even technical.

Advice to Management

The old school or "good ole boy job network" is not helping the company. Activity like this hinders the true performance of a company. If employees only hired there best friends with no qualifications, the company is going to fail.

11. "Staff research associate"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NCIRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

for B.S or M.S may be fit because they just want to hire you 1-2 years, for those students who just want to stay 1-2 years then apply medical school.

Cons

They treat Ph.D as a tech, do mice genotyping, make solution....and the salary is pretty low.