NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Getting to work from home right away is also a big plus" (in 44 reviews)

• "Love going to work everyday with a mission to help student-athletes" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Skewed view of work life balance" (in 40 reviews)

• "The job has become more about putting through anyone and everyone to increase the chances of profit than about really helping student athletes" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Employee - Las Vegas Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Las Vegas Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere and culture! NCSA has created a great compensation structure that allows you to manage your own business all while controlling how much money you make.

Cons

At this point I have not seen any cons

Advice to Management

NCSA created a clear career path and allowed me to manage my own opportunities. Management did a great job of laying out goals, expectations and gave me the opportunity for career development. I am a former college athlete and the great environment that NCSA has created here in the Las Vegas office gave me a sense of being part of a team again all while allowing me to still be competitive in a sales atmosphere. In less than 2 years I was promoted to a mentor and as I approach my third year with NCSA I have been promoted to Team Lead here in the Las Vegas office. The company is enthusiastic about continuing to grow the office which will open up a wide variety of opportunities for current and future employees.

Nov 30, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and share them. Its wonderful to hear you’ve been enjoying your time here at NCSA. I see you’ve been with us for 3 years now, so you must have... More

"Great work place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great team and work environment!

Cons

Needed more than part time and I couldn’t just make the same call over and over again anymore!

Jan 15, 2019 – President

Thank you for your kind words about our work culture! We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.

"Senior Recruiting Coach"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Great energy, work with families to talk about sports everyday, work from home, growth, talk with families all over the country.

Cons

Parking is hard to find in the city when you do come in for work, can be fast paced with no let up on work loads.

Advice to Management

Remember where have come from and that we need to continue to do things well before moving to change too fast.

Dec 21, 2018 – EVP of Customer Success

Thank you for continuing to help families across the country. Our Recruiting Coaches play a huge role in helping families find the right fit

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The camaraderie of the overall company is very strong. I genuinely enjoy working with the people in my division, and generally look forward to coming to work every day as a result. The company culture is strong, encourages new ideas, and is committed to the overall mission and to the company's core values.
    The management team is very receptive to feedback, and is focused on building teammates rather than tearing down. I've always felt that I can go to my immediate supervisor with any concerns, and they will provide immediate and honest feedback without condescension or dismissal. This has felt true to me at each level of the company, right up to the COO and to the Reigning Champs execs.
    Hard work is recognized and appreciated, if not as often as might be desired - though that is something the company is continually striving to rectify for the future with new programs and initiatives. (Growth and new ideas spring from all over the company - the teammates here are some of the brightest, most hardworking people I've had the privilege to work with at any job.)
    There are numerous perks to working in the main office, including team lunches, free bagels on Friday, team happy hours, etc.
    Above all, the company truly believes in its mission and in helping its clients through a challenging time in their lives.

Cons

Payscale is under the market median, which could be a frustration.

There have been concerns about work-life balance in the past, but this is something the company is continually working to improve for the betterment of all involved.

There can be a disconnect between in-office and remote employees, though (not to beat a dead horse) this is something the company is endeavoring to improve.

There can be an unspoken hierarchy between various levels of the divisions of the company. (i.e. some employees look down upon employees in other divisions) This is true of all companies, and is not a widespread attitude or at all encouraged by the management team, but when encountered, it can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to be receptive to feedback from all employees, and to encourage growth from both a personal and career-focused perspective. I cannot recommend working for NCSA enough, as helping it grow has been one of the Highlights of my career to date.

Dec 21, 2018 – EVP of Customer Success

First, I want to say thank you for your 5+ years of giving back to student-athletes and helping them accomplish their dreams. We do have some of the best people working here at NCSA and I’m glad that... More

"Recruiting Coordinator Review"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- NCSA has an incredible overall mission. The company genuinely helps a tremendous number of families in the recruiting process. In my position, I have many conversations with families that really make a difference as far as a student-athlete’s scholarship opportunities and providing help in their desire to play sports in college.

- Generally speaking, NCSA has awesome people. Of course every company has their annoying/frustrating individuals, but I genuinely like almost everyone I work with at NCSA. Recruiting managers can be hit or miss, but I personally really like mine. The company also has great social/other events for employees (Turkey Bowl, holiday parties, rec league sports, etc…).

- For student-athletes and families that need the service/help, NCSA truly offers an outstanding product. While the product being sold does have sticker shock (roughly anywhere from $800 to $3,000+ for families), there can be a substantial return on investment considering the scholarship opportunities it can provide. The product is easy to believe in for the students and families it can truly benefit. If I had kids that wanted to play sports in college (and they had the athletic ability), I would sign them up for NCSA’s services in a heartbeat.

- You get to talk about sports all day. Casual/relaxed dress code. Many positions at NCSA have the opportunity to work from home.

- The position CAN be good money if you have been with the company for a long time AND you put in at least 6 days a week. NCSA offers decent and competitive benefits. Top performers in the position make roughly $80-90k/year, a few even hit $100k.

Cons

- On the flipside, the position can be an ethical nightmare at times. While, as stated above, the product can make a difference for many students and families, the company tries too hard to push student-athletes and families through that have no business using our services based on the kid’s athletic ability for the cash grab. It’s completely unethical taking money from a family that we know will receive zero benefits from our services just by simply preying on the hopes and dreams of an unqualified student-athlete. Leadership constantly pushes set meetings and enrollments along the lines of “NCSA can help everyone as long as little Johnny is committed!” No. It can’t. Some kids simply aren’t good enough to play in college. NCSA is not for everyone. Leadership pushes RCs to set meetings for student-athletes that have no business playing sports in college. We have recruiting guidelines for a reason, and props to the RCs and RSs who actually do the right thing and not move a student-athlete forward in the process, despite the fact most of the salary for both positions is based on commission.

- Once unqualified student-athletes are in the recruiting network and paying for services, which unfortunately happens more than NCSA wants to acknowledge, it completely devalues the product and leads to bad reviews and frustration from families. NCSA can’t actually help little Johnny get an athletic scholarship when he’s 5’6” 150 lbs and wants to play OL for a D1 college. Although many responses on this page state something along the lines of “Recruiting coaches can refund families if we can’t help them,” from what I’ve seen, this happens few a far between and most families are just out of luck if they pay for our services but we cannot help them.

- Leads, at times, can be an outright joke. The President of NCSA, in multiple responses on this page, states that “families expect/ask for a call from NCSA.” This is absolutely not the case about 99% of the time. When I first started, I would maybe average one call a day where the family actually expected to talk to someone from NCSA after they started a profile with us. Most of the rest of the families you talk to have no clue about the company due to extremely diluted leads. The reality of the position, especially when you are on the training team, is that you are simply cold calling roughly 80% of the families you talk to. The reason why we receive their info is that they checked a tiny little box on their HS sports registration form, a scholarship website, or somewhere else online. Therefore, they have no idea that they even started a profile with us and have absolutely no idea what the heck NCSA is. Many of the calls you will make as a RC will be to families that think we are a scam, families that don’t speak English, and more often than not, families that just straight up do not want to talk to you. Many kids that start a profile don’t even play the sport they started a profile with us for!

- The basic responsibilities of this position are BORING. You make 50-100 phone calls a day. If you run out of families to call, you then call your previous families again. You can ask for additional families to call, but they may/may not be available. Literally, your job is just to set families up for meetings with closers to finalize the sale of our services. Seriously. That’s it. Some days will be good and you can set 7+ meetings, but other days can be outright awful (especially with poor leads as mentioned above). Effectively, you are a robot in a call center, no other way of putting it. The redundancy of the position is, for me, extremely frustrating.

- As a result, the position has an insane turnover rate. Seriously, it’s awful. While some RCs stay in the position for more than a year, most leave well before then. I was about a month into the position before I already felt burnt out myself.

- Work/life balance in this position is rough. At a minimum, the position puts in about 45 hours a week, which is more than reasonable. However, you are under tremendous pressure to work late evenings and weekends. Different managers have different expectations, but more often than not, you are meant to feel guilty if you do not put in additional time. Again, the only way to make decent money in this position is if you work at least 6 days/55+hours a week.

- While I have just been a RC, the work/life balance in the Recruiting Specialist position, from what I’ve seen, is even worse. RSs are required to work 6 ½ days a week with pressure to work 7. RSs also have to work crazy hours during the week and pretty much all day during the weekends. Many RSs I’ve worked with hardly take a day off outside of holidays.

- The position is micromanaged like crazy. Everything is kept track of. The number of calls you make a day, the amount of time you are on the phone, your conversations are recorded and audited, and much much more. While these metrics are needed to keep track of performance, it can be a little much at times.

- NCSA as a whole is super “Rah rah.” While NCSA does do some truly awesome things, and sure, positively is important, the hardcore “rah rah” nature of NCSA can be outright annoying at times, not sure how else to explain it.

- The base pay for the RC position is brutal. If you work the minimum number of hours per week (40-45) and are towards the bottom of the commission scale, you’ll be around $30-35k/year, especially when you first start. I also felt I was misled on how much commission it was realistic to earn per month while interviewing for this position.

Advice to Management

- The position is definitely one with many pros and cons. Personally, the position hasn’t been the best fit for me due to the redundant job responsibilities. But, I’ve been still been able to find some positives, and there are many to others that have been in the RC position for years and do a great job at it.

- General advice I have for NCSA on the RC position: Allow for more flexible hours for RCs (example: RCs should be able to work whatever hours they want in a week as long as you work at least 40-45 hours/week, at reasonable times, and make any required meetings… This should NOT be an 8-5 job! Be more flexible!). Eaze up on the micromanagement. Improve the company’s ethics (make sure you are properly training RCs to turn kids away that have no shot at playing in college, among other changes). Improving work/life balance (consider giving top performers extra days off). Stop overhiring and trying to grow the company too fast (leads for RCs are bad enough as it is, over hiring and company growth will make this even worse in the near future). Provide RCs with other responsibilities so they do not burn out as quickly (like I did).

Jan 8, 2019 – President

Thank you for your thorough review of NCSA. I am glad to hear that you feel your day to day responsibilities are well connected to NCSA’s incredible mission. You truly are making a difference... More

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

NCSA is a great place to work. The marketing department is a laid back atmosphere with a very "team" feel. Everyone works together and helps each other out for project success. Fun work events are great and monthly team huddles keep company communication and goals transparent. They do a nice job giving employee's recognition. Flexible work at home options. Great people to work with. Love going to work everyday with a mission to help student-athletes.

Cons

Departments seem siloed from one another at times.

Dec 21, 2018 – President

We are thankful to have you on our team for 3+ years and thank you for the feedback. Our special culture is only possible because of the hard work that everyone puts in to make NCSA such a fantastic... More

"Specialist"

Pros

Growing Company that is heading in the right direction

Cons

Company maybe out growing its market.

Dec 21, 2018 – EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for the compliment that we are headed in the right direction and for dedicating 3+ years of your life to helping student-athletes and their families.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Coach in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Coach in Rochester, NY

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Allow you to work remote. Great culture and a clear vision.

Cons

Weekend and evening hours are expected

Dec 21, 2018 – EVP of Customer Success

Thank you for the compliments on the work culture! We hope to make things even better. Yes, for your particular position weekends and evening hours are expected and we thank you for the time that you... More

"Recruiting Coordinator"

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sports environment, easy job, can connect with interesting talent (athletes and families)

Cons

Never get raise on base, high pressure sales environment, not the best leadership, this is a telemarketing position, they expect you to make 60-70 calls a day, not compensated daily for work, no room for growth long term at company, company believes each person can be easily replaced, push heavily for weekend work, bad work life balance

Nov 30, 2018 – President

Thank you for your feedback although I am sorry you did not have a better experience during your 3 years as a Recruiting Coordinator at NCSA. The Recruiting Coordinator position does require heavy... More

"Think LONG and HARD!!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training Trip to Chicago/Work from home/Health Benefits/Talking sports

Cons

Pay/work-life balance/no support/Quality of meetings set/Upper Management-lower management/Systems that don't work

Advice to Management

If you want a job that consumes every minute of your life and has very little pay, this is the job for you!! I was told I would make $70k+ a year, I made $28k my first and only year. This is a Time Share based sales platform for selling recruiting services to families. Company needs to better qualify meetings set. Majority of families that you will talk to have NO idea that the service costs money. A large portion of families that you will talk to do not speak English. Sales meeting every week cover the same thing over and over, nothing new is ever brought up. There is no support system to help those struggling, the companies answer is alway for you to add more meeting and work 7 days a week. They give you one day off a week, Fridays, however it is not a full day off because you have to prep and make intro calls on Friday for your weekend meetings. EVERY month they have a sale on the last Friday of the month that you are required to work so they can meet their quota for the month. Upper Management always say "Fight for the families! This is going to change their lives!" translation means fight for the sale, they are only interested in sales numbers! They want everyone to be a "used car" salesperson. Follow up sales calls are a joke, the families that go to follow up, NEVER enroll. Telephone system and Online sales demo NEVER work properly. If you do not meet your sales quota of at least $45k a month they will put you on a Performance Improvement Plan for 60 days, if you don't make your minimum in those 60 days they will fire you. Keep in mind your performance is based on the meetings set by the company! Way too much RAH,RAH on how great the company is and how they change high school athletes lives. Think LONG and HARD before you apply and/or take a job with NCSA!!

Dec 21, 2018 – EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your detailed review. You had a lot to say and I will address a few of the points. NCSA has no control over the financial or cultural background in which families come from but what we... More