NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

Pros
  • Getting to work from home right away is also a big plus (in 25 reviews)

• Helping hook student athletes up with college programs feels like something important (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be hectic (in 28 reviews)

• There's a reason each Head Scout only lasts about a year or less (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Keeping it Real"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Culture is upbeat and if you immerse yourself in it, it's very rewarding
    - If you want a job that challenges you and your output is judged by your input, it's for you
    - There is career path you just have to seek it out, make your mark, and be patient given most of that path starts from scratch at a young company

1) NCSA DOES WORK for the families contrary to what you may have read. If the families utilize the tools as they are intended, they will be successful. Are we perfect?...no. However, in the last 5 years our service team has curated more promoters of NCSA than many Fortune 500 companies. Simply put if the family's expectations of the process and NCSA's role in it are aligned, it's a marriage well worth it.

2) The leads that are distributed to our core teams are done so EVENLY. There is someone that has no hands on any one team or individual in the department that does this through an automated system every day using the best data in the industry.

3) NO ONE tells their people they can't attend a planned event or commitment on a weekend they've had on the calendar for months and have to work instead. Many of our top people get their work done Mon-Fri and don't have to work the weekends to make it up. When I first did the job, I was working 60+ hour weeks. Now Coordinators can make more money in less hours putting up less quantity in numbers monthly. The pay is night and day in the positive for our people.

4) There is NOT a ton of turnover in the department. Folks come and go and in a sales role if targets aren't met consistently then like any job, there is a process to get back on track or find another opportunity. That's normal in any industry especially in an entry level role.

Cons

- Given the world we are in the who we serve, there are times when people are asked or expected to work some tougher hours or days. There's no hiding behind that. It's not abnormal and our PTO plan is VERY competitive in the industry.
    - Most cons that you read are all things that are well-explained in the interview process, and no one is forcing them to accept the role or be in it for 3+ years.
    - There is opportunity to do more with our remote employees given that number is growing every month and it's something that's on the radar of management.

I don't work in Marketing and if I wanted to just jump on and say NCSA is perfect, I could have put a 5 and a lot less time into this. My hope is those reading this understand the passion (and accuracy) to what is written.

Advice to Management

Keep the fire underneath you so that there is never complacency with how we help people and how we reward those that do the heavy lifting bringing our clients in.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete Response

Feb 9, 2017 – President and COO

Thank you for the honest post! I promise, we will never lose our fire.

"Damned good job"

Current Employee - Ruby On Rails Developer
    Current Employee - Ruby On Rails Developer

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Working on something more socially interesting than helping Big Bank Foo get richer. Helping hook student athletes up with college programs feels like something important.
    2) Working mostly remote and the team seems to be comfortable with that.
    3) My immediate report is awesome. I have complete trust in him and that is key for me.
    4) People are extremely smart and hard working.

Cons

1) the development process is at time labyrinthine and hard to follow.
    2) Agile process has some rough edges where engineering meets business but the entire team seems interested in addressing those things instead of ignoring them.

"Pretty good working here"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people
    relaxed dress code
    management does not micromanage you
    great location
    nice office

Cons

work life balance can be hectic... can't always go home at 5
    projects can be kinda scattered

5. "Great potential/ horrendous support"

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

A lot of room for profit

Cons

Total lack of support from the central staff and continually changing priorities and organizational focus

Advice to Management

Maintain one set of values and one strategic objectives for longer than six months

"NCSA is a Great Company and you make it what you want!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have worked at a few companies and NCSA has the best culture and team. There is a ton of opportunity and you make it and take from it what you want. Professionally there are opportunities to do more and step up for more responsibility and visibility. There is a lot of work but there is advancement if you are interested. Personally the environment is fun (lots of generally cool people and competitive athletes who like to work hard and play hard). The company tries to keep things fun and interesting and provides us more when they can (Happy Hours, Company parties, monthly lunches, bagel Fridays, improved sick and vacation, tried to update schedules with more flexibility, sports teams, etc.). Really important also is that we have the ability to make a difference (paid Give Back Day!) and working with high school athletes to help them with their futures.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything. It's a great company, great location and great people.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Coaches: Imagine working only 40 hours!!"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a former D1 coach, I remember laughing at my interview when my future boss said apologetically that I would have to work a few weekend days every year. The value of the flexibility you have working from home and designing your own hours (within some guidelines) cannot be understated. You can also still coach youth, high school, junior college, or NAIA while working full time here. Benefits are pretty good, including a wellness allowance. Did I mention you only work 40 hours a week?

Cons

You need to be task-oriented and driven (not that this is a con exactly) because there is a lot of email/texting to handle (in addition to phone calls) and not much down time within your working hours. The pay starts on the lower end, but the trade off is enjoying a work-life balance.

"Review"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Flexible schedule

Cons

Little pay but can make bonuses

9. "Recruiting Coach"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Fun topic but repetitive. Flexible hours

Cons

scrips that are painful and boring.

Advice to Management

None

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work from home
    Control of your schedule
    Every call is different
    Talk sports all day
    Great money

Cons

Work- Life Balance can be an issue - as long as you hit your goals, you have control of your schedule. If you don't hit your goals, you may seem like you're working more to try to get there.

Advice to Management

Don't accommodate for those that don't hit goals - hold them accountable.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete Response

Feb 9, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to hear you are enjoying your role as a Head Scout (now Recruiting Specialist) with NCSA. Work life balance is a topic we are always striving to help our ... More

11. "It was ok"

Former Employee - Assistant Recruiting Coach in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Recruiting Coach in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, relaxed dress code, flexible schedule

Cons

not a lot of them, unless you hate working weekends.