NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Getting to work from home right away is also a big plus" (in 34 reviews)

• "Talk football and recruiting all day while helping student-athletes" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Skewed view of work life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "seeing upper management around the office feels like seeing that ex girlfriend who hates you" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing mission and a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission in helping student athletes go on to continue their educational and athletic career at the collegiate level is second to none. The people and teammates are exceptional. I've been part of this team for 5+ years, I have a tremendous amount of pride being part of this organization. Leadership is very receptive to feedback from the team, and there are countless opportunities to build and refine your professional skillset.

Cons

There are no cons for me at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep an open door policy on feedback from teammates, it's been extremely beneficial for maintaining a positive culture and cooperative work environment.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete Response

Jul 11, 2018 – President

Your comments ring so true for me and is exactly why I’ve stayed at NCSA for over 10 years as well! As you already stated, my door is always open.

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Employee - Las Vegas Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Las Vegas Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere and culture! NCSA has created a great compensation structure that allows you to manage your own business all while controlling how much money you make.

Cons

At this point I have not seen any cons

Advice to Management

NCSA created a clear career path and allowed me to manage my own opportunities. Management did a great job of laying out goals, expectations and gave me the opportunity for career development. I am a former college athlete and the great environment that NCSA has created here in the Las Vegas office gave me a sense of being part of a team again all while allowing me to still be competitive in a sales atmosphere. In less than 2 years I was promoted to a mentor and as I approach my third year with NCSA I have been promoted to Team Lead here in the Las Vegas office. The company is enthusiastic about continuing to grow the office which will open up a wide variety of opportunities for current and future employees.

"Stick to the Core Values"

Former Employee - RS
    Former Employee - RS

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can help some families and student athletes.

Working from home.

Compensation can be very good.

Health benefits are relatively solid.

Cons

You now have to do a larger number of meetings for the same pay because of over-hiring and diluted leads.

We no longer qualify student-athletes, yet we are instructed by higher-ups to tell the student-athlete they are recruitable to college coaches. This is problematic because there are some student-athletes out there that never have a chance of playing in college. Higher-ups instructed us, “there is a home for everyone.” No, there is not.

Literally told by a higher-up, “don’t let academics or athletic ability be an obstacle to you enrolling a family.” This becomes immoral, for example, when we take money from a senior track athlete who is nowhere close to having qualifying times. We have recruiting guidelines for a reason.

Work 6 ½ to 7 days a week. Forced to work 7 days straight at least 1 week per month.

Compensation plan is outdated. Higher-ups push hitting team and company goals DAILY, but neither of those are tied to front line employee's compensation. Why should front line employees care if the company hits goal when it benefits only higher-up’s paychecks?

Severe lack of transparency from higher-ups. When times are tough, they do not admit it or own it. Instead, they act like everything is great and try to gaslight you into thinking “this is going to be the best month in NCSA history!” Just own the challenges that come with a larger workforce and weaker lead sources and tell your people what they are up against. We are adults, we can handle it. We already know what’s going on behind the scenes. Please don’t insult your people’s intelligence. It will also allow your team to respect you more and buy in to the mission.

You cannot have a professional discussion with an RC. Even if you tell them what you’re seeing on your end, and try to work together to improve a process, higher-ups get involved and tells you they’ll talk to the RCs and handle how they should approach families.

Widespread problem of RCs telling families our services are free. Instead of systemically coaching this out of RCs, higher-ups embrace the bait-and-switch tactic and puts it all on the RS to handle.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Tell your people when leads are going to be tough. Tell your people that they are doing another Upgrade Day not because “RSs and families are asking for it,” (which is a lie) but because the company is not hitting goal and it is essential for us to succeed.

Create leadership pathways. The current model of one VP and one RM per team of 35+ is not feasible for success. Too much leadership capital is expended with this set up. There is currently nothing in place to promote from within.

You have a serious issue with front line personnel turnover. Especially high-efficiency performers. Do you not want to keep them? Do you not care if they stay or leave? Offer merit/salary increases and/or extra days off during the week for high-efficiency performers.

Get high-efficiency performers higher-quality lead sources and allow them to open less meeting slots if they want. Too many higher-ups force their people to open more and more meeting slots every week. Don’t tell your people that they should “own their calendar” and turn around and tell them what times they should have and hours they should operate within.

Stop over-coaching. For example, the RF Call will introduce a concept like “mindset,” and then front line personnel will hear about “mindset” several times through emails from all the higher-ups for the REST OF THE WEEK. It wears your people out.

Stop trying to be a S100+ million company. Stop hiring. Cut low performers (including some of the higher-ups), and operate efficiently as a robust $70 to $90+ million company. The current set up is taking money away from the front-line people and devaluing the NCSA brand. More and more unqualified student-athletes are being accepted into the network on paid memberships. This means success rates are significantly lowering, and the product’s effectiveness will be diluted. You can’t help everyone.

4. "Financial Aid Associate"

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

There was free food sometimes.

Cons

Management doesn't care about you. There is no benefit to working hard. They have no standards and no consequences.

"Not more than a starter job"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. A young and fun culture. Competitive atmosphere, turkey bowl, fun holiday parties.
    2. Ability to work from home.

Cons

1. NCSA has lost its way. The job has become more about putting through anyone and everyone to increase the chances of profit than about really helping student athletes.
    2. This is a high pressure sales role with unrealistic metrics and expectations. You WILL be working 8-6 every day and working weekends. Work life balance is non existent.
    3. There is no career path, here. Management hand picks who they want to groom for promotions. If you're one of the boys, you're in luck. If not, you stand no chance.
    4. Employees are grossly underpaid despite this company's explosive growth over the last two years.
    5. Senior management does not care about the people on the floor busting their behinds to make this company successful.

There are a lot of unrealistic reviews on here put through by management or HR. I worked at NCSA for a considerable amount of time and have noticed that many reviews have been deleted if they contained any sort of negativity.

Advice to Management

Pay your people better so that your top salespeople don't leave for better opportunities. Stop praying on the hopes and dreams of children as a business practice.

Remodel your business model from a bait and switch to a more transparent sale. They way NCSA is handling new business now is UNETHICAL.

6. "Recruiting Coordinator"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job for younger kids just out of school, good environment, fast paced, benefits, get to talk sports/find out about kids looking to play in college, can make solid money if you're on the phone all day and work over 40 hours per week

Cons

On the phone all day long, essentially making calls to families to set up meetings with "recruiting specialists," salary not great, a lot of micromanagement to make a certain # of dials/meetings set per day, bigger/widely known company so parents assume cost for memberships, no areas to really advance unless you have been there for several years, same thing every day/all day

7. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Initial 2 weeks of training was great. Fast paced, learn a lot, meet new friends
    -As others have noted, the people/culture at NCSA is solid
    -If you come into this job knowing it's entry level, it's a decent gig and you pick up on some skills
    -Super laid back, almost to a fault some times
    -Can make decent money but nothing spectacular
    -Benefits are very competitive
    -Overall vision of the company and where it's heading was exciting

Cons

-Monotonous. Need to create other responsibilities for RC's so they don't burn out so quick + also creating some kind of career path
    -Manager to RC ratio is ridiculous. I feel bad for middle management sometimes, yes they can improve, but it doesn't appear they have bandwith to truly manage everyone and make ppl better cause they're managing at least 25 ppl.
    -Base salary is brutal. No other way to put it. Not going to give a number but there is a substantial amount of revenue being made and very little is given to it's sales reps

"Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere and really hands on managers that will help in anyway they can if you have an issue come up

Cons

There are lows and highs to the job, its not consistent so you have to stay level headed if you are having a bad day/week/month.

"Recruiting Specialist"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The company is giving athletes at all levels, and ranges on the spectrum the opportunity to get the things they need to get accomplished with being successfully recruited done in a manner that really helps them drive the process. The different tools & resources that are provided help an athlete and their family save so much time, and they are getting educated, mentored, help with video editing, and financial aid assistance. All of these thing would not only take a lot longer time to do on your own as a family, and the cost associated would be much more expensive then what the cost associate with using NCSA would be. At the end of the day, families are getting the right instructions from former college coaches and players to make sure they are not missing out on the opportunity of playing in college. I have been with the company for almost 4 years, and I can truly say I love what we do and how we are helping families and kids that might have missed out on their opportunity of continuing to play at the college level and getting an education as well.

Cons

At this point, I really don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the Student athlete, and helping the family with better tools & resources a long the way.

"Excellent company that lost its way"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

***When founder of NCSA, Chris Krause, owned and operated the company there were so many more pros than this. Below is what is left under the new venture capitalist group.***

Talk about sports.

Work from home.

Excellent recruiting technology

Good health benefits

Help educate student athletes on the process and at least think about a plan for their future

Cons

***NCSA was founded on the premise of connecting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes with college coaches. After the venture capitalist group took over things turned unethical. The message from the VPs is to sell everybody whether they are athletically and academically qualified or not. I question how ethical it is to try to sell families with low income the dream of free tuition through athletics when you know their child has no chance based on their athletic background. See uploaded photo of sales training slide ***

Work 7 days per week. You have 1 day “off” per week which just means you aren’t doing full product demos/sales with families that night. You are still required to do introduction and follow up calls that day.

Used to be able to make peace with the schedule and hours because the money was solid ($90-$120k) but no longer the case. The company is hiring like crazy so leads are diluted. Company sales revenues keep going up while individual specialist earnings continue to go down.

Advice to Management

Please stop sending messages to the VPs to fill out positive Glassdoor reviews in order to combat every honest, negative review. Instead, focus your efforts on improving the product and service.

Go back to being who we claim to be. Let’s qualify athletes and bring on the ones we can truly help.