NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Getting to work from home right away is also a big plus" (in 29 reviews)

• "Helping hook student athletes up with college programs feels like something important" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Skewed view of work life balance" (in 32 reviews)

• "When I took my job as a 'Head Scout' at this company I could not have been more excited" (in 22 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Genuinely nice people, great team mates who support each other. Work ethic and postive attitude drive success and recognition, not office politics and political correctness.

Cons

Chicago office is beautiful, but street parking is difficult. Few lunch options nearby.

Jul 11, 2018 – HR Athleader

Thanks for your comments and I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your time at NCSA!

"Good job with the potential to be great!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

You get the opportunity to work form home and make a good living. You talk sports for a living and you can really make a difference in a young persons life.

Cons

As we continue to grow and change direction there are growing pains that can be difficult to adjust to. Having to work harder and harder every year to maintain sales numbers.

Advice to Management

To many new hires, take care of the employees you have and only add when necessary.

"Amazing mission and a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission in helping student athletes go on to continue their educational and athletic career at the collegiate level is second to none. The people and teammates are exceptional. I've been part of this team for 5+ years, I have a tremendous amount of pride being part of this organization. Leadership is very receptive to feedback from the team, and there are countless opportunities to build and refine your professional skillset.

Cons

There are no cons for me at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep an open door policy on feedback from teammates, it's been extremely beneficial for maintaining a positive culture and cooperative work environment.

Jul 11, 2018 – President

Your comments ring so true for me and is exactly why I’ve stayed at NCSA for over 10 years as well! As you already stated, my door is always open.

"Great Management, Great Culture"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me, the most important factor in deciding where to work is the character of the people that one would be working for. I can say unequivocally that the leadership at NCSA has its heart in the right place, and they care deeply about their employees. The executive team is smart, passionate, and they truly believe in the company mission of helping to build better kids through sport. NCSA has a true team environment unlike any I've seen before, and its employees are highly motivated to help young student-athletes realize their dreams.

Cons

The company is growing really quickly and starting to run out of desks. I'm sure that problem will be solved for soon.

Jun 20, 2018 – HR Athleader

Thanks for your review and compliments on our team. We are truly blessed to have an exec team that really cares about their employees and clients!

"Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

Competitive yet friendly work environment with good benefits.

Cons

Low starting salary and commission structure.

Jul 11, 2018 – HR Athleader

Thanks for your feedback. If you want to discuss compensation trends further or if you have any other feedback, please reach out to our HR team anytime.

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing environment to work in, great attitude and vision from the company and all of their employees

Cons

Very few if any. The only thing for me personally is that the metra benefit covers most but not all of my train ticket, and i live at the end of the line, but not a huge deal

Jun 20, 2018 – HR Athleader

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Its very important to my HR team to deliver world-class and competitive benefits, so I will be sure to mention your feedback!

"Recruiting coordinator"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

Pros

food
    location
    people are fun(young)
    wellness
    environment is awesome

Cons

you guys HAVE to stop hiring. I understand Reign champs wants money you gotta stop this nonsense
    you cant make money here anymore
    you cant be a manager unless your in the "club"
    the hiring process is just not great. you dont even need sales experience to work here anymore
    the leads are spread out very very thin now to the point it doesnt make sense to work OT

we get forced to work weekends now. but we are told work 45 hours a week
    There are days we are forced to come in at 830 and leave at 630 pm just to hit big meeting set number

why do you think people arent hitting 60's and 50's consistently
    understand that we get it. company wants money.
    But LOOK AT THE RECRUITING FORCE.
    VETERANS ARE LEAVING LEFT AND RIGHT YOU ARE LOSING TALENT.'

I did an interview somewhere else and they couldn't believe it!

if you want a job right outta college and you have roommates this is the job for you. Thats what this is for. Living in the north side with 2-3 roommates making 36-40k if that

Thats's the truth

Advice to Management

stop hiring people who arent qualified
    nobody should be interviewing who hasn't even graduated college yet.(ive seen it) that is a slap in the face to everyone
    Have the heart to fire people too. You can leave people who haven't hit commission in 8 months still work here

Stop this super set day mess and then still require us to come in on the weekend.
    Get new lead sources they are bad now
    Since March it's been downhill and everyone knows it.

Count how many vets you have left

Jul 11, 2018 – EVP of Sales

I appreciate your feedback and encourage you to speak with a member of our leadership team if you’d like to discuss further. Here are some of my thoughts on your review. First, it’s clear there is... More

"Solid place to work"

Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'd like to preface this with the fact that I do not work on the sales team. That being said, the job has great benefits, lots of room to grow, I'm learning new things everyday, my coworkers are great, there are few times that I'm expected to do things that are out of the realm of reason (it happens, but it's not often), and the culture here is great.

Cons

My experience hasn't been as bad as others, but in general, the dev team is more meeting heavy than I think necessary.

Jun 20, 2018 – Director of Development

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you on all points about our amazing team, benefits and culture. And I’ll be sure to consider your feedback on the number of meetings we attend each week. Thanks!

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to work from home

Cons

No work/life balance. Too much out of your control to make money. Constantly being micromanaged. "Try harder" is the solution to everything-- even after working 50+ hour weeks

Advice to Management

Be realistic.

"They sell you a job that doesn’t exist"

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You talk sports
    Work from home
    The day you quit is the best day ever.

Cons

Everything.
    -They tell you you’ll make a ton of money...you’ll be lucky to make 1/3 of what they tell you during interview process.
    -Say goodbye to friends and family. Seriously.
    -You are expected to work 70+ hours a week 7 days a week. If you don’t youll be asked “why aren’t you being a team player”.
    -Every weekend is the single biggest weekend in the history of Ncsa. Everyone needs to be in office, dialing phones, online putting in extra hours. Who is gonna step up for the team and really show us how it’s done? They guilt trip you and punish you if you don’t work more.
    Then you get stuck with an empty calendar.
    -you are expected to pay for leads or else you’ll get the bottom of the barrel.
    -Families are straight up lied to about the service and the cost. 80%+ has no idea ncsa costs money
    -Success rates are inflated incredibly bad. If a kid makes a blank profile and never logs in past that 1st day but goes to college, Ncsa counts it.
    -You 8am morning calls, mandatory company and team meetings in the afternoon, and then work 4pm-midnight.
    -micromanaged 24/7.
    -You are supposed to have one day off per week. But then you’re told “most guys end up making a few calls, it’s not actually work cuz they are only in office for a few hours, most don’t punch in for it”. Sounds exactly like a day off.
    -Ridiculously high turnover rate. That alone should scare people off.
    -Don’t let them sell you the lies. It stuck me as odd as how much they “sold me the job” during the interview process.
    -Your direct managers are awful.
    -Upper management is super nice but they either have no idea how the company is actually run or they are part of the deception.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to families
    Stop lying to employees

Jun 21, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Of course, it is very disconcerting to hear you did not have a better experience. I hope that in your three years at NCSA, you did find some... More