NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home and have great supervisors and co-workers" (in 46 reviews)

• "Love going to work everyday with a mission to help student-athletes" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Skewed view of work life balance" (in 40 reviews)

• "NCSA was founded on the premise of connecting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes with college coaches" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Employee - Las Vegas Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Las Vegas Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere and culture! NCSA has created a great compensation structure that allows you to manage your own business all while controlling how much money you make.

Cons

At this point I have not seen any cons

Advice to Management

NCSA created a clear career path and allowed me to manage my own opportunities. Management did a great job of laying out goals, expectations and gave me the opportunity for career development. I am a former college athlete and the great environment that NCSA has created here in the Las Vegas office gave me a sense of being part of a team again all while allowing me to still be competitive in a sales atmosphere. In less than 2 years I was promoted to a mentor and as I approach my third year with NCSA I have been promoted to Team Lead here in the Las Vegas office. The company is enthusiastic about continuing to grow the office which will open up a wide variety of opportunities for current and future employees.

Nov 30, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and share them. Its wonderful to hear you’ve been enjoying your time here at NCSA. I see you’ve been with us for 3 years now, so you must have... More

"Great culture and positive atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Director of Softball in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Softball in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture and team of coworkers can't be beat. I have been with the company nearly 7 years and I stay because of the people. The environment is competitive but also rewarding. As a former college athlete, I value the work perks, too. I think we have great benefits and the wellness reimbursement is also a great perk!

Cons

For some departments, work/life balance can be tough to manage.

Mar 13, 2019 – President

Thank you for your review and the 7 years that you’ve committed to helping student-athletes!

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, positive atmosphere, supportive leadership

Cons

no downsides at this time

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great People"

Former Employee - Scout Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Scout Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great and driven. Product helps families

Cons

A little disorganized. Only constant is change

Advice to Management

Get feedback from all levels of employees

Mar 13, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your review and the time you spent with us! We wish you the best of luck with your professional career.

"Fun Atmosphere Sports Company"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great benefits, a lot of bonuses, work in sports / speak with young athletes

Cons

Some positions are micro managed. Not much room for growth.

Feb 28, 2019 – EVP of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback and the time that you have spent with us. If professional growth is something that you are eager about, please share that information with your manager so that they can... More

"Thoughts on the Recruiting Coordinator Position"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Most of the staff at NCSA is awesome, solid people all around. I genuinely enjoyed just about everyone I worked with. Lots of fun social events, including the Turkey Bowl.
    - Lots of opportunities to help families in the recruiting process whether they ultimately decide to enroll or not. I truly enjoyed many of the conversations I had with families and genuinely felt I was making a difference at times.
    - The services and products NCSA provides are solid, despite the sticker shock, for student-athletes and families needing help in the recruiting process IF they are willing to put the work into using them.
    - The interview process when I was first hired was efficient, I had an offer the day after my final interview.
    - Causal Dress

Cons

- Despite some positives, the recruiting coordinator position can be rough for many reasons. The job itself is very boring. It is basically just one giant call center. You make 50-100 calls per day on a “smile and dial” mindset. Literally, your job is to set sales meetings for families with closers and that is it. I hardly found the job challenging due to its repetitive nature.
    - The work-life balance can be frustrating in the position. There is a lot of pressure to work evenings and weekends. The company constantly preaches that it is trying to improve work-life balance for employees but never actually makes any meaningful improvements.
    - The micromanagement in this position can be way too much at times. Some managers will get on to you too much about certain metrics. There is a tremendous pressure to set a certain number of meetings per day, even if they are not quality sets.
    - The leads I got almost every day when I first started were terrible. The position is cold calling families roughly 75% of the time. Many of the lead sources are very frustrating as well. Sometimes you feel like you are annoying families in trying to get in touch with them more so than actually helping them. Much of the time, because of these bad lead sources, you are calling families that didn’t realize they sent their info to NCSA and then get mad when you reach out.
    - The base pay for the position is terrible. It is currently $30k, which is actually up from $27k when I first took the job. Although under the current structure you are not eligible to earn commission until you have at least 50 enrollments, which means even if you find success right away you are just stuck with the base pay plus overtime for your first few months.
    - It is possible to make decent money in this position, but you will have to be prepared to consistently work 55+ hours and 6+ days a week. In my last month at NCSA I was right around the company average in enrollments, in addition to working roughly 45-50 hours a week, and still easily made less than $40k/annualized for the month for the amount of work I was putting in, and I know I was not alone.
    - I felt I was misled on how realistic/easy it was to earn a decent commission in the interview process. Additionally, the commission you earn is based on the sales your Recruiting Specialists make from the meetings you set with them. Thus, you do not have absolute control over the commission you make.
    - The burnout and turnover rate in this position is very high. Personally, I already felt burnt out after about 2 months and left for a new job after 5. Very few people last over a year in this role. NCSA struggles to even retain some of its top performers in the role. I would say about half of my recruitment team is planning on leaving within the next couple of months or is actively looking for a new job.
    - There is very little room to grow up in the company from the RC role, despite what management says. Management positions are few and far between. You have to complete a career development program to move up in the company in any capacity.
    - Some other reviews on Glassdoor argue that NCSA is all about profit and does not actually care about the families. I absolutely disagree with this based on my experience especially since there are some tremendous people at NCSA, BUT there is an absolute pressure to set and enroll a high volume of families. As a result, recruiting coordinators and specialists are often pressured to qualify, set, and enroll unqualified student-athletes. A solid number of student-athletes in NCSA’s network will never see the field/court in college.
    - The company is currently hiring way too fast in sales, while on the flipside, the company is completely understaffed on the service side. I had multiple families contact me after enrolling as they were struggling to get in touch with their recruiting coach after spending thousands of dollars on our service side.
    - NCSA is never afraid to pat itself on the back and the rah-rah culture can be very annoying.
    - There were issues of RCs stealing top recruits/leads from other RCs and management hardly did anything about it.
    - Leaving NCSA was a mess. While it didn't happen to me, it is a common procedure for managers to fire RCs on the spot at NCSA when they give a two-week notice.

Advice to Management

- The Recruiting Coordinator position can be a good first job for kids right out of college as you can get some solid sales experience and enjoy awesome colleagues, but it’s definitely is not something I would recommend leaving a current and stable job for unless you absolutely know what you are getting into, especially as most RCs have to grind it out like crazy to make decent money.
    - NCSA needs to be more upfront in the interview process about the RC position, mostly relating to the daily responsibilities, high pressure to work evenings and weekends, and the commission scale. Knowing what I know now, especially involving pay, I highly doubt I would have taken the position in the first place.
    - NCSA needs to immediately address the turnover in the RC role. It’s embarrassing.
    -Slow down hiring on the sales/recruiting side and focus on hiring for the service side.

"Overall a great organization"

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great coworkers and company culture, most employees really believe in the mission and work hard to assist student athletes on their goals of getting to play a sport in college

Cons

the company is growing and is a work in progress in some ways, I believe management is always trying to make things better for both our clients and employees but it does take time to implement some changes. I've seen improvements made in both comp and benefits since I've been with the company

Advice to Management

Work on clear career paths for top performers! We have some great employees that are ready for growth

Feb 4, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the time that you have been with us and for the review. We take pride in the type of teammates that we have and we want everyone to believe in our mission. We also have opportunities to... More

8. "Little room for full time opportunity and low pay"

Former Employee - Member Support Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Member Support Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Speak directly with student athletes and their families as they try to navigate the confusing college selection process. Kids and parents were great to talk and you essentially introduce them to the platform. It's like Linkedin for student athletes to connect with college coaches. Work from home and have great supervisors and co-workers.

Cons

Extremely low pay and lack of hours makes it nearly impossible for recent college graduates to earn a living. Since there are a minimum of 25 hours and max of 29 weekly hours, getting a 2nd job becomes difficult due to lack of flexibility. There are "bonuses" based on productivity but they are rare the amount listed should barely be considered a bonus.

Advice to Management

Hire these member support assistant roles as full time or offer part time employees more flexibility. Being the first point of contact, this position is very important to the overall success of the product but is very undervalued.

Feb 13, 2019 – VP of Recruiting Operations

Thank you for your review and your positive feedback about our managers and teammates. You are correct, our part-time team is an essential part of the organization and are equally as important as any... More

"Great for those who enjoy working from home"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

Pros

-You get to work from home
    -Can be somewhat flexible depending on who your manager is
    -Not micromanaged (again...depends on who your manager is)
    -Did I say you get to work from home?
    -You really are able to help out some families that are completely lost with the -recruiting process and they really can benefit from this

Cons

-It's a sales job....so you need to hit numbers
    -The amount of out-bound calls you have to make....it can be anywhere from 60 to 100 calls daily. It'll depend on if you've met your numbers and some managers will get onto you about it
    -The money is below sub-par. I understand it's a sales job but it can be hard sometimes to hit your commission / bonus numbers. You have to be extremely disciplined and a self-motivator in order to have this kind of job.
    -No room for growth except to either become a Recruiting Manager (which is very rare and you'd have to go into Office to do this) or become a Recruiting Specialist (which is even more of a sales job)

Advice to Management

Nothing really. In my opinion, management has been great thus far. I've thoroughly enjoyed the managers I've had throughout the years that I've been working here. Keep it up and continue to push those to be better.

Feb 4, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your positive review of our work culture and management team. Coordinators are expected to hit certain metrics and averages that they go over with their individual manager. The target... More

"Great work place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great team and work environment!

Cons

Needed more than part time and I couldn’t just make the same call over and over again anymore!

Jan 15, 2019 – President

Thank you for your kind words about our work culture! We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.