NCSOFT Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2021

4.2
NCSOFT CEO Songyee Yoon
Songyee Yoon
Pros
  • "The specific studio I am/was at had an incredible office culture, and a really admirable adherence to keeping a healthy work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "This job has plenty of stressful moments, but it’s also rewarding and will help to jumpstart your career in the gaming industry(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "With the HQ being located in Korea there was a disconnect between operations out here in the west and out there(in 22 reviews)

• "Korea out of touch with the Western market (no surprise) and pushes updates that clearly will not hit with(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

A fantastic studio to work for

Nov 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

We’re given the freedom and agency to work on games without having to worry about too much oversight from the HQ in Korea. NCSOFT is a study that pours its heart and soul into each game we put out into the marketplace. There’s a reason so many of our games are so popular. Definitely one of the best gaming studios to work for.

Cons

With the HQ being located in Korea there was a disconnect between operations out here in the west and out there. We do our best to work through it.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The culture at NCSOFT is fantastic

Apr 28, 2021 - 3D Artist in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture. Great people. Genuine people. Good values. Welcoming environment.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Tight deadlines.

3. 5.0

Nobody pinch me!

Apr 26, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

From the word go, my time at NCSOFT has been everything I could have imagined and more. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that working here is literally a dream come true. Every detail of every game we make is given the utmost care and attention. This isn’t a rush-through kind of operation. They don’t want us to churn and burn through ideas faster than we can adequately flesh them out. It’s all about the subtleties and making every element, from the design to the story line, shine. “Conducting research” literally just means playing video games to see what we like and don’t like, what works and what doesn’t, what we would change and what we would leave the same. I don’t think I could have dreamed myself into a better career when I was a kid. I know it sounds like a bunch of BS, but it really is true that if you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. I love working for NCSOFT and, if I have it my way, I’ll be working for them until the day I die.

Cons

Every day isn’t perfect. I still get stressed out and overwhelmed, but I wouldn’t say there’s any “cons” to working here. If you feel the way I do, you’ll absolutely love it. If you aren’t as passionate, you shouldn’t even apply and possibly take a job that someone else would die to have.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I already love it!

Apr 20, 2021 - Human Resources in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There. Is. So. Much. To. Love. About. Working. Here! Everything video games, all the time – Duh! The people are fantastic! I can’t say enough good things about my colleagues. They are the most incredible group of people I’ve ever met, let alone gotten to work with. They’re smart, talented, and wickedly creative. I learn more just by picking their brains in the break room than I did in all 4 years at college. Managers are actually cool. They’re not constantly trying to assert their dominance or maintain some archaic power dynamic. They just want the work to get done and everything to line up with the schedule. As long as you’re on board with making that happen, they’re no different than any of your coworkers really. They pay really well. I mean REALLY well. Their starting offer blew my expectations out of the water. I don’t know what our competitors pay, but I’d be surprised if it was anywhere close to this.

Cons

If there are any (which I totally don’t think there are) I haven’t seen them. I could be wrong… but I doubt it.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Professional, but fun work environment

Apr 18, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You don’t have to worry about harassment or favoritism, because it’s not that kind of company. But it also isn’t so stuffy that you feel like you stepped into some weird 21st century version of mad men. NCSOFT does things by the book when it counts (like when it comes to anti-discrimination and equal opportunity policies), but lets loose where it can (like dress codes and email etiquette). I think it’s the perfect balance, and I know from experience just how rare that is to find.

Cons

We work our butts off. If you don’t love game design, you’re going to burn out real fast.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I learned a lot and made great friends

Apr 25, 2021 - Senior Data Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exactly what I wrote in the title. I learned a lot during my time here about almost every aspect of game design, and even if that weren’t the case, I made life-long friendships that have helped me grow both personally and professionally.

Cons

There weren’t as many opportunities to move up as I would have liked. If an opening had been available for a higher position I never would have left.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Highly recommend

Apr 27, 2021 - 3D Artist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good, strong company. I enjoyed working for them. Would recommend.

Cons

Only con was communication between Seoul and US offices.

8. 4.0

Dynamic working conditions

Mar 31, 2021 - 3D Artist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible timing, projects and dynamic teamwork.

Cons

Stressful working environment and high requirements

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Come ready to work your butt off!

Nov 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you’re looking for a career and not just a job, then I recommend working here. Don’t think you’ll just be able to come in here and play video games all day (which may happen during slower days). You’re going to be spending a lot of your time working your butt off. This job has plenty of stressful moments, but it’s also rewarding and will help to jumpstart your career in the gaming industry.

Cons

I don’t have any cons as of this time.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great and friendly workplace

Feb 11, 2021 - Senior Data Engineer in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Open culture, easy to work and collaborate

Cons

Management does not have visibility on how the US markets work

Viewing 1 - 10 of 178 Reviews