NCSOFT Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NCSOFT CEO Songyee Yoon
Songyee Yoon

Pros
  • Good company, work/life balance depends on which division you are in, the facilities and perks that the company offers are very competitive (in 6 reviews)

• There are great people -- people who work hard, support each other, and care deeply about the future of this place (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No leadership, complete chaos caused by the HQ and the lack of professionalism in the Seattle office (in 3 reviews)

• Some upper management did try to address this but everyone in Product Support felt it (in 3 reviews)

1. "Current employee motivated!"

Current Employee - Lead Game Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Game Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think management is finally getting it. We have leaders in right roles finally. If we take bad leadership out quickly we will be in good shape to meet goals. Road show is such a great idea to share more and get leaders out in front of employees what a great idea. place now at the studio that will hopefully make a difference. Benefits good especially in my location has Kaiser.

Cons

We are one company NCSOFT and ArenaNet is part of the team. Please include them more. Had no idea who studio leader was until recently. Why keep them separate? We should all know the products we are working on. It's exciting stuff for gamers to share across studios.

Advice to Management

Share more and be visible. Hearing our leaders speak confidently about the things they are working on instills confidence in future of our company.

2. "Great people"

I worked at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

People I worked with were smart and hard-working.

Cons

The management made some dubious decisions.

"Worst work experience in my career"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I worked at NCSOFT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits start day of hire. Unlimited snacks and sodas. Food trucks outside and food delivery for lunches available. I cannot think of anything else great about working there.

Cons

I left a great job to work for this company due to false promises of career acceleration. What was told to me in the interview was not the case and had I known that I wouldn't have left my previous employer. Management is awful. They may offer a generous salary but it is not worth it. This company has very questionable people in their management with questionable morals. Don't waste your time at this company! Turnover rate is high here which says something about their managers.

Advice to Management

Realize good employees when you have them instead of throwing them under the bus to make yourself look good.

"Poor leadership and high turnover rate"

Pros

Arenanet is the only entity who actually values and cares about their employees.

Cons

HR operations is a complete joke. Mistakes made left to right, with no accountability at all. A bunch of judgental women running a circus. No leadership or confidentiality at all. If you have any issues, don't bother addressing with HR. You are better off resigning as that will most likely be the outcome in the end. Very high turnover rate. Come see for yourself!

Advice to Management

Learn to lead. Worry more about the organizational needs rather than stirring up drama within your own department.

6. "Contract Writer/Editor"

Pros

Interesting content to work on.
    Writers are fun people.
    There are busy times and slow times.

Cons

Not everyone pulls the same weight, but that's kind of true everywhere.
    This place is great for Contractors, but can be a challenge for Full Time if they want to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities for growth, especially women.

"Don't bother. Seriously."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will do minimal work and still get by. There is opportunity for promotion due to attrition. Unfortunately, the promotions often times will not make any sense.

Cons

Most of the directors and above are useless. Only a few hard working folks keep the games running while management squanders budget on unnecessary travel and benefiting their friends. A lot of people are unbelievably really bad at their jobs, including directors and above. No clear direction of the company at all. No vision. No strategy. No hope.

HR is a joke.

Advice to Management

Advice to new SVP of Publishing would be to run away. Unless you really want to make a change, please remove all remnants of previous exec group and any unnecessary departments that just bleed money. Refocus on strategy and proper org structure.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

- Regular company gatherings (i.e. - movie outings, summer and holiday parties, etc.)
    - Friendly, respectable co-workers
    - Great health benefits
    - Flexible hours
    - Collaborative environment

Cons

- Lack of ongoing communication from management about the company status and upcoming initiatives.

Advice to Management

Provide more company updates about what is going on at the company and various development studios, whether it be sending out monthly/quarterly emails or holding meetings on a regular basis.

"Poor Work/Life Balance and Horrible Politics"

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at NCSOFT (Less than a year)

Pros

Good office location before they moved (NCSoft Seattle).

Good experience, my first opportunity to work on a large profile product.

Cons

Lots, and I mean LOTS of infighting. Constant drama. Managers will pit people against each other often. You would get thrown under the bus often.

No work/life balance. Thank god I was contracting so I was under no obligation to stay, but I would be leaving at 5:00PM and my manager would chase me down to ask where I was going and if I could stay for a few more hours. There were no real hard deadlines or justification for staying later. Traditional Korean work culture dictates that if you don't work until late at night every day you're not a valuable employee. They also took extreme advantage of the fact that there are a lot of inexperienced professionals eager to work in the video game industry, so it wasn't uncommon to see people stay till midnight just because they were expected to.

From a design perspective, there was relatively no room for creative ownership. All decisions were micromanaged from Korea and Japan, which also created a really bad communication gap and you would have to wait on important answers. Many times my designs were taken and then remade almost 1:1 from their Japanese design team and then presented as their own. Pretty frustrating.

Overall from my observations, people just weren't very happy. I did make a few great friends there, but otherwise their studio had a lot of jaded employees with really bad attitudes due to mistreatment and that became systemic.

"SENIOR TECHNICAL PROGRAM MANAGER"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to manage Challenging Projects

Cons

Communication was very complex. It was very tough to make the communication better.

"Very poor work life balance, horrible environment for the employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at NCSOFT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some amazing people to work with at NCSOFT. Working in a gaming industry can be a gateway to other, better game companies. Excellent Insurance.

Cons

Most teams are expected to work 50-60 hours a week. (Salary)

Less than zero work life balance. You are expected to be at the beck and call of HQ (Korea) and anyone who has a need or whim no matter the day or hour. Out to dinner with your family? Better cut it short and head home to gather some logs. Request approved for Vacation for your birthday? Better cancel that and come in to work for 12 hours. On Vacation? Sorry, there is a ticket we forgot to mention to you until you were already out of the state. You better log in and get to work. Relaxing on a Friday night after a 60 hour week? Well here is a request for 6+ hours of work so some other poor sods can work all weekend. Better get to work.

Well surely the pay makes up for it you say? Nope. In your reviews they will point out that one time you were unavailable for 30 minutes while in transit on your vacation... Also you were less than chipper when you were called for a few "questions" at 2am. No Raise. Great Bonus Structure... if you are a C-Level exec. Otherwise the general day-to-day workers never see a penny of those great bonuses.

The higher ups might ask for your opinion on technical matters... but then will likely ignore them. Also HQ generally dictates how you should do your job, even if it is rarely considered "best practice".

Save yourself the stress, trouble, and headaches... work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, then treat them like people instead of resources. People need time to unwind and see their families. Say "No" a little more often to ridiculous requests from HQ. Follow some best business practices, not just say you do.