NCSOFT Reviews | Glassdoor

NCSOFT Reviews

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are great people -- people who work hard, support each other, and care deeply about the future of this place (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, no bad habits most Korean companies usually have (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The Austin office is void of any Sr management talent, it's hands down the most incompetent executive/leadership team I have ever been around (in 4 reviews)

• sometime decision making is very slow (in 4 reviews)

1. "Contract Writer/Editor"

Pros

Interesting content to work on.
    Writers are fun people.
    There are busy times and slow times.

Cons

Not everyone pulls the same weight, but that's kind of true everywhere.
    This place is great for Contractors, but can be a challenge for Full Time if they want to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities for growth, especially women.

"Don't bother. Seriously."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will do minimal work and still get by. There is opportunity for promotion due to attrition. Unfortunately, the promotions often times will not make any sense.

Cons

Most of the directors and above are useless. Only a few hard working folks keep the games running while management squanders budget on unnecessary travel and benefiting their friends. A lot of people are unbelievably really bad at their jobs, including directors and above. No clear direction of the company at all. No vision. No strategy. No hope.

HR is a joke.

Advice to Management

Advice to new SVP of Publishing would be to run away. Unless you really want to make a change, please remove all remnants of previous exec group and any unnecessary departments that just bleed money. Refocus on strategy and proper org structure.

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

- Regular company gatherings (i.e. - movie outings, summer and holiday parties, etc.)
    - Friendly, respectable co-workers
    - Great health benefits
    - Flexible hours
    - Collaborative environment

Cons

- Lack of ongoing communication from management about the company status and upcoming initiatives.

Advice to Management

Provide more company updates about what is going on at the company and various development studios, whether it be sending out monthly/quarterly emails or holding meetings on a regular basis.

"Poor Work/Life Balance and Horrible Politics"

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at NCSOFT (Less than a year)

Pros

Good office location before they moved (NCSoft Seattle).

Good experience, my first opportunity to work on a large profile product.

Cons

Lots, and I mean LOTS of infighting. Constant drama. Managers will pit people against each other often. You would get thrown under the bus often.

No work/life balance. Thank god I was contracting so I was under no obligation to stay, but I would be leaving at 5:00PM and my manager would chase me down to ask where I was going and if I could stay for a few more hours. There were no real hard deadlines or justification for staying later. Traditional Korean work culture dictates that if you don't work until late at night every day you're not a valuable employee. They also took extreme advantage of the fact that there are a lot of inexperienced professionals eager to work in the video game industry, so it wasn't uncommon to see people stay till midnight just because they were expected to.

From a design perspective, there was relatively no room for creative ownership. All decisions were micromanaged from Korea and Japan, which also created a really bad communication gap and you would have to wait on important answers. Many times my designs were taken and then remade almost 1:1 from their Japanese design team and then presented as their own. Pretty frustrating.

Overall from my observations, people just weren't very happy. I did make a few great friends there, but otherwise their studio had a lot of jaded employees with really bad attitudes due to mistreatment and that became systemic.

"SENIOR TECHNICAL PROGRAM MANAGER"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to manage Challenging Projects

Cons

Communication was very complex. It was very tough to make the communication better.

"Very poor work life balance, horrible environment for the employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at NCSOFT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some amazing people to work with at NCSOFT. Working in a gaming industry can be a gateway to other, better game companies. Excellent Insurance.

Cons

Most teams are expected to work 50-60 hours a week. (Salary)

Less than zero work life balance. You are expected to be at the beck and call of HQ (Korea) and anyone who has a need or whim no matter the day or hour. Out to dinner with your family? Better cut it short and head home to gather some logs. Request approved for Vacation for your birthday? Better cancel that and come in to work for 12 hours. On Vacation? Sorry, there is a ticket we forgot to mention to you until you were already out of the state. You better log in and get to work. Relaxing on a Friday night after a 60 hour week? Well here is a request for 6+ hours of work so some other poor sods can work all weekend. Better get to work.

Well surely the pay makes up for it you say? Nope. In your reviews they will point out that one time you were unavailable for 30 minutes while in transit on your vacation... Also you were less than chipper when you were called for a few "questions" at 2am. No Raise. Great Bonus Structure... if you are a C-Level exec. Otherwise the general day-to-day workers never see a penny of those great bonuses.

The higher ups might ask for your opinion on technical matters... but then will likely ignore them. Also HQ generally dictates how you should do your job, even if it is rarely considered "best practice".

Save yourself the stress, trouble, and headaches... work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, then treat them like people instead of resources. People need time to unwind and see their families. Say "No" a little more often to ridiculous requests from HQ. Follow some best business practices, not just say you do.

"Great Opportunity, Great People and Great a Great Studio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great office environment, lots of healthy snacks, pool table, ping pong table and just an overall fun and smart group of people. So excited to be a part of this fast growing mobile studio! Competitive Salaries, benefits and amazing work-life-balance.

Cons

No equity plan, but am hopeful they will implement one in the very near future.

8. "Forward Momentum"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

It's an established company with a new/upstart take on expansion in the US, and new people in almost all of the key leadership roles. It's been through some rough times in the past, but they're bringing a lot of new talent in to propel them forward, and support the US/Western audience in new ways. Energetic experience with very real possibilities to enact change, be recognized for effort, and help build something great.

Cons

There were some periods of high turnover, and the little top talent they had took the cue and left. The ones who didn't take the cue can tend to be less than enthusiastic/valuable in their roles. I get the feeling it's not an unknown problem though, and likely to be sorted out before too long.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on building the NCSOFT West brand directly.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Austin, TX

I worked at NCSOFT (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment.
    Great coworkers.
    Beer friday's were fun.
    Very relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Business is on a decline.
    Massive Layoffs.
    Job security was always on your mind at the time I worked there.

"Fun Place to work at"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, awesome technology to get your hands on, Beer Socials, laid back environment (shorts and flip-flops) Nerf dart wars, and Management that looks after its employees.

Cons

Professional Training is sparse (but I have not really pushed for it) Long hours, lots of projects, and page-outs can be brutal, but that can be said for any other company

Advice to Management

The Technical Operations department is swiftly turning into a well oiled machine. Keep doing what you are doing.