NCSOFT Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 21 Oct 2019

2.7
NCSOFT CEO Songyee Yoon
Songyee Yoon

"Most dysfunctional game company in the industry"

Former Employee - Publishing in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowledgeable co-workers Good benefits Flexible working hours Competitive salary Get to work in the game industry

Cons

Awful leadership. 3 words can describe it: JUST PLAIN AWFUL The CEO surrounds herself with Yes-Men and never emerges from her Ivory Tower. Management will routinely lie to you HR will force managers to "re-calibrate down" employee reviews during the annual performance review period because "there are too many 4's and 5's" The bonus program is horrible. It's quite laughable. The CEO lives within her own echo... chamber The products are all old, live MMO games with no roadmap schedule for new, cutting edge releases. Korea runs the show; you will do and implement what they tell you to do. To make matters worse, most of the best Koreans at HQ have left the company already, so you are left with the fodder. Work isn't particularly challenging, so there's lots of time to goof off, watch Netflix, or play other people's games. The mobile team in San Mateo is beyond horrible. They are going on 4 years now and have never released even 1 mobile game.

Advice to Management

Even Obi-Wan couldn't save this crew. There's no hope.

NCSOFT2018-09-19
  2. "Great Company"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

Awesome benefits and fun culture!

Cons

None at this time.

NCSOFT2018-09-24
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Honest Review"

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Salary Little Crunch No weekends, at least while I was there

Cons

Studio management has very little power/control over what they make. Every thing has to be approved by Korea which making the Studio heads more like middle management. One of the worst annually review systems I have ever seen in a company. Everything is subjective without guidelines to be judged against. No Free Snacks Get the feeling the NCSOFT does not trust their studios and things go from very good... one minute to very bad the next. Not transparent at all. NCSOFT likes to tell the studios one thing and then do another based off of knee jerk reactions. Very hard to plan long term because the studios are always in a "reaction" mode when feedback come back from Korea. Financially motivated company that wants to follow instead of lead.

Advice to Management

Start innovating with new ideas. Stop worrying about how you compare to Tencent or Activation and start focusing on players and making fun games.

NCSOFT2018-10-05

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great, talented colleagues...and that's it.

Cons

- Old fashioned company with old fashioned rules and approaches to development. (no work from home, no flexible PTO.) - Management completely and utterly incompetent with no understanding of the western games market. - Management approved a big hiring push for a new game they apparently didn't support...and then shut the game down...and then shut the studio down. What a senseless waste. - Poor communication... between management and studio heads, to the point where they needed to hire someone as a go-between. (Always a good sign...)

Advice to Management

First of all, be ashamed of yourselves. Secondly, figure out what your goals are and communicate it to your studio heads. Preferably before they staff up and start work on the project you told them you wanted done.

NCSOFT2018-09-26

"Complete and utter lack of Management"

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Competitive Pay - Subsidized gym membership

Cons

- They spent YEARS making MXM (an ill advised foray in to the MOBA market that is dominated by LOL / DOTA) and then cancelled it with a few months because it was doing so bad - They've been dumping millions in to a mobile studio that still hasn't shipped a game in 4 years - They closed Carbine after stringing them along for two years, giving them zero direction on what type of game they'd like for them to develop.... - They cancelled BnS console because they were incapable of communicating their needs to the contracted company - NCWest management exists because of nepotism from NCSoft Korea

Advice to Management

Completely divest in the west. You have absolutely no clue how to make games here. Go back to Korea, where at least you have some success.

NCSOFT2018-09-23

"Localization Coordinator"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, and nice coworkers

Cons

Limited opportunities to advance in career

NCSOFT2018-08-28
  8. "work environment"

I have been working at NCSOFT

Pros

Free, comfortable, can focus on my work

Cons

Slow decision-making process, a little bit bureaucratic

NCSOFT2017-11-20

"Great Environment, Frustrating Circumstances"

I worked at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

The work environment was excellent. There was zero micro-management. I was able to come in and do what was expected of me without worrying about someone peeking over my shoulder at all times. There was a great sense of trust from management that I was capable of peforming my tasks without constantly being monitored.

Cons

The Austin office felt very isolated from the rest of the company. Being a Korean company whose US headquarters is located in California, at times it felt as though we were disconnected from the rest of the organization. The office was almost entirely closed in 2015, and many of us were suddenly let go in the reorganization.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees with respect and trust, but communicating more about issues that are affecting the organization at large would do a lot to squash the rumors that often pop up.

NCSOFT2017-09-13

"Working under NCSoft HQ (Korea) is soul-crushing"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

It's very easy and you don't really have to do much.

Cons

Korea does not listen to NCWest pretty much at all. NCWest typically doesn't stand up to Korea's terrible decision making. People in the office are pretty jaded at this point. Pretty much everything players think about NCKorea is absolutely true.

Advice to Management

Stand up to Korea, they are ruining basically everything we release and do.

NCSOFT2017-09-06

"Manager"

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location. Working with great people.

Cons

Leadership deceitful, no clue how American market works. Constant layoffs and turnover. HR ignored request to look into harassment of one of my employees.

NCSOFT2017-05-25