NCSOFT "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

NCSOFT Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 15, 2020

3.1
NCSOFT CEO Songyee Yoon
Songyee Yoon
Pros
  • "The specific studio I am/was at had an incredible office culture, and a really admirable adherence to keeping a healthy work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "In the golden years, NCsoft (Austin/West) was a great place for opportunity and learning(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Beholden to the South Korea office for all major decisions, from corporate to game teams(in 20 reviews)

• "Management completely and utterly incompetent with no understanding of the western games market(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Potential Company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Try to improve and innovate from mistakes - Good work-life balance - Good benefits

Cons

- Need more people to work - Big hit titles needed

NCSOFT2020-01-16
  2. "I love it here!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Great Pay * Awesome Work/Life Balance * I can be creative without limitations * Great Culture

Cons

Sometimes projects can be delayed, which is frustrating.

NCSOFT2019-07-19

"Really good at giving you a ton of rope to hang yourself with."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Little intervention from the HQ in South Korea meant we enjoyed a surprising amount of freedom and agency in making our game. * Pay was barely competitive with the rest of the SF market * Benefits were good * The specific studio I am/was at had an incredible office culture, and a really admirable adherence to keeping a healthy work/life balance. We're getting shut down, though, so I don't know what surviving studios are like.

Cons

* All that freedom I mentioned came at the cost of upper brass decision making feeling really distant and opaque culminating in our studio getting canned just when we thought we were about to launch with a (hopefully) successful game. This whole experience gave me the impression that HQ is pretty clueless about how to manage their western studios. * Rev share was promised (more like dangled at the end of a stick) and now is just moot because we (the studio that made the game) aren't going to be around when the game finally launches.

NCSOFT2019-02-27

"Great Opportunity, Great People and Great a Great Studio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great office environment, lots of healthy snacks, pool table, ping pong table and just an overall fun and smart group of people. So excited to be a part of this fast growing mobile studio! Competitive Salaries, benefits and amazing work-life-balance.

Cons

No equity plan, but am hopeful they will implement one in the very near future.

NCSOFT2015-11-07

"Going down fast"

I have been working at NCSOFT full-time

Pros

There really aren't very many pros. Easy work/life balance management

Cons

Everything about this place screams failure

NCSOFT2015-05-15

"Paragon Studios was fantastic"

Former Employee - Lead Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paragon had some of the best people I've worked with, a fantastic game in City of Heroes, paid well, and let us do the job we needed to do. Very collaborative place. It also had excellent work-life balance.

Cons

Too much interference from HQ in Korea, too much difficulty in getting a new project off the ground.

NCSOFT2014-05-02
  7. "Nice company"

Former Employee - Concept Artist in Seoul

I worked at NCSOFT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The meal in the cafeteria is delicious. The in-house welfare facilities are very good. Education support, childcare support There are many good employees. Nice work/life balance.

Cons

The decision-making speed is very slow. It takes too long to make a game. There is internal political conflict.

NCSOFT2019-12-12
  8. "Assistant Manager"

Current Contractor - Assistant Manager in Seoul

I have been working at NCSOFT for more than a year

Pros

Good company, work/life balance depends on which division you are in, the facilities and perks that the company offers are very competitive

Cons

Management tends to do an overall on employees every few years, so a small group will be cut.

NCSOFT2016-03-16
  9. "A great, friendly, funky office to work in"

I worked at NCSOFT

Pros

Great team spirit within the office Fab work life balance Good work is noticed and reconised Senior Management very approachable Annual bonus

Cons

Relatively low salary Lots of temp contracts given Seemed lots of decisions came from the US without consultation or communication

NCSOFT2012-03-07

"Not so much of a has-been, more a never-was."

Product Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at NCSOFT

Pros

Massively multiplayer online games are arguably the biggest growth sector in gaming - and it's all that NCsoft does. If you want to be in the field, it should in theory be a good place to start. Benefits in the European office are generally good, with bonuses and payrises (although look out in 2009, considering the redundancies in September 2008). Atmosphere is generally good, although management is not brave enough to talk openly about strategy... mostly because they don't have any. Work-life balance is good, and generally people are respected for the work they do - unless you work in some departments, like Customer Service, but then they've all been put of work as well.

Cons

The company always seemed rudderless and without any sort of long-term strategy - indeed it was admitted time and again that this was the case. It's been previously stated that NCsoft wants to be an 'entertainment company' but beyond that, little detail was given on exactly how this was going to be achieved or indeed what it even meant. This has led to a muddled development strategy that supposedly is strongest when focusing on 'AAA games', despite the fact that the last two 'AAA games' both failed (Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa). This seems to be an all-or-nothing play, and when the biggest force in the MMO field is already sitting on the biggest pile of cash, seems doomed to fail. Ever heard of 'disruptive' business strategies, NCsoft? Because of the redundancies, there is no now development work at all done in the European office, so don't even bother considering it from that angle. What is left is a reduced publishing operation that will take orders from the US office, and this has been stated publicly.

NCSOFT2008-09-29

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews