NCU (Northcentral University) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
George Burnett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible, good pay, great location, casual and fun, outgoing people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Great culture and work atmosphere (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a poor culture, from the academics to the business side (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have a good reputation (in 3 reviews)

1. "NCU 6 month review"

I have been working at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time

Pros

Job flexibility, Continuing education, room for growth, growing leadership, family environment

Cons

Location for lunch

Aug 23, 2017 – social media manager

We’re pleased to hear you’ve had a great experience working with NCU! Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We greatly appreciate it.

2. "Enrollment Advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of time to waste

Cons

No where to really go

Sep 6, 2017 – social media manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about NCU. We would like to better understand your perspective and move forward in a positive direction. Please contact our Vice President of Human... More

3. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Registrar in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Registrar in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. Atmosphere SEEMS fun, but it's all just frosting on the crap cake.

Cons

Management needs to be concerned about students not just focused on money. Admissions seems like a bait and switch. Get them in, get them trapped then abandon them. If I could give negative stars, I would.

Sep 8, 2017 – social media manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about NCU. Because we value your feedback , we would like to further understand your perspective and move forward in a positive direction. Please... More

"Great opportunity for those just starting out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of amenities, good people, various shifts, good PTO, especially as you tenior. Great programs.

Cons

Low pay for those with experience, lots of micromanaging, poor benefits, lack of follow through. They are all about getting the application, and don't seem to care about starts until you miss an app goal and then they hold start rate over you. There is no communication between those who get the apps and those responsible for ensuring students start.

Advice to Management

Grad teams would definitely benefit this organization. Worry more about enrolling quality students and less about snagging warm transfers and then pressuring students into applications.

Jul 24, 2017 – social media manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, we truly value your input. We're glad to hear about your positive experiences working for NCU. However, we'd like to learn more about some of the... More

"Faculty"

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

self-paced, remote position, average benefits

Cons

leadership is concerned primarily about money, students are not the focus they should be
    workload is intense

Advice to Management

invest in your students! Instead of reshuffling positions every quarter, focus on education.

Jul 21, 2017 – social media manager

"Make up Rules As You Go"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allow you to choose a schedule so you don't have to work Saturdays. Employees do receive paid holidays off and floating holidays. Aren't fired for not missing your goal if you are an Enrollment Advisor.

Cons

The management style for coaching and motivating employees is horrible and atrocious! Upper management uses threats and shame to motivate Enrollment Advisors. Assistant Directors of Admissions are VERY unprofessional, petty and immature. They conduct inappropriate conversations on the floor about personal and political issues with the team members that they supervise. There are no clear standards of what you are being evaluated on or measured by. Poor management style condones bad action on the part of ADOA's. If your ADOA doesn't like you, they will focus on what they PERCEIVE to be your weaknesses and none of your strengths, and "coach" you on them even if you are meeting goals and expectations. They therefore make it very uncomfortable for you so that you end up leaving. There has been a lot of turnover in enrollment and assistant director of admissions. They talk about compliance and code of conduct but don't clearly define those points. They will, however, write you up for being out of compliance or violating the code of conduct and not clearly explain how you failed to meet those standards. They show no interest in finding out what your career goals are yet want you to put the company's best interest first.

Advice to Management

Respect and value your employees. The highest levels of management need to take responsibility for the company being "at risk" by clearly defining compliance, compliance issues and code of conduct instead of leaving your employees unprotected and in the position of taking the fall if a student complains. Clearly define those topics and put them in writing so that your EAs know what is expected of them. Inform your employees ahead of time of what they are being evaluated on and the matrix used to evaluate them instead of writing them up for things they didn't know about. You will save more money with less turnover. Coach your ADOA's and their supervisors on professional conduct and attire. It's hard to take management seriously when they come to work in flip flops, t shirts and shorts.

Jun 30, 2017 – social media manager

Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback for NCU. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide this input. We would like to hear more from you, in order to better understand your... More

"Enrollment Advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facility has more amenities this year that ever before! So they create an outlet for you - which is definitely needed at this company!

Cons

Please be careful! The culture seems laid-back; but management is a group of friends that will ruin your life! The rules here are not standardized, each manager can recreate operating rules (ex: standardized lunches, extended breaks for others, favoritism and more). So again, be careful! This company will try to fire you, even if a top performer, if they don't like you! And go a step further to deny and fight against you gaining benefits. These are the people/companies to stay away from!

Advice to Management

Reap and sow. You may win in the beginning, but over time your ill-willed behavior to your employees will catch up to you and your company! Karma comes back!

Jun 12, 2017 – social media manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences at NCU with us. We appreciate your feedback and would like to hear more from you, in order to better understand your perspective and address some of your... More

"NCU ROCKS"

Current Employee - Executive Enrollment Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Executive Enrollment Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NCU definitely has a work hard and have fun type of culture. I have great co-workers & Leaders. We offer quality programs with many specializations - and, continuing to add more every year. We have fun monthly recognition awards. NCU has quarterly fund raisers that donate to organizations. In the 7 years that I have been here, I have never had a bad experience. I love my job!

Cons

I really cannot say anything bad. If I had to come up with something, it would be that we might be growing too fast. But, I trust the Executive Leadership team and am sure they have things in control.

Advice to Management

NCU is the BEST place to work! Keep projecting growth and making it happen.

"Great Place to Work with Great Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

I've been with NCU for five years and have had a great experience. Opportunity for growth, fast paced environment, and a genuine regard for helping students achieve their goals. My leadership is amazing and I have grown immensely in my field over the past 5 years because of it. I plan on continuing to grow within this company for as long as possible!

Cons

I don't have cons to report right now as my time here has been great.

"Finance advisor"

Current Employee - Finance Advisor
    Current Employee - Finance Advisor

Pros

I am happy that in the merge they raised our pay. I don't have a degree and now I make as much as people with even a master's degree. If you want opportunity without the big degree this is the place.

Cons

I am unsure of how to advise to academics. I know if I just keep doing finance tasks I will be okay but I don't know how to help students who are not passing there classes. This is starting to make me feel bad

Advice to Management

Considering I am now doing the same job for more money, I feel like I shouldn't complain so I havent. I guess don't micro-manage? That would be my one suggestion. We know we are short staffed and you need us on the phones but it is starting to feel kind of bad the way you treat us.