NCheng Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Nerou Cheng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Staff Accountant (FMS)- Very detailed Review"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

N Cheng (in a nutshell) is a NYC accounting firm that caters to non-profit clients, with 2 main service lines: Financial Management Services (FMS) and Auditing. Most hires are FMS that separated into teams based on clients. All staff work 95% of the time at client's office (office quality varies). Experience at the firm varies with team that you are assigned to. For my team, my supervisor does not micromanage and I consider her to be my mentor. Overall, I had a good experience and learn a lot. Hope this review helps:
    + Staff are very friendly and willing to help each other. Not a competitive culture. Average age is 25-35's.
    + Good for people who are interested in nonprofit - will learn a lot from general bookkeeping to preparing financial statements; able to meet with clients
    + Clients are friendly (they invite staffs to events and some have office snacks for staff!)
    + Good work & life balance - rarely any long hours at staff level. Supervisors/Mangers have exponentially higher hours.
    + Firm is growing - decent promotion opportunities (depends on your attitude, skills, and experience)
    + CEO is a cool laid-back guy

Cons

- Client travel- Clients are all over the NYC boroughs. Based on where you live, they will try to assign clients for you to lessen travel. Rarely able to switch clients.
    - Salary is range is low to average based on average NYC salaries for staff accountants. Largely depends on your experience and if the partner think you are worth it.
    - Low interaction with staff outside your own team
    - High turnover rate at staff level - possibly due to nature of routine work, high performers get overwhelmed with tasks/responsibilities, low salary (but have a lot people who stayed for 5+ years who are now management), occasionally management
    - Main HR person is a tough cookie & slightly unresponsive
    - No formal training in place for new hires - pretty much hands-on detailed work
    - Benefits (for staff level): 10 holidays, 10 vacation&sick days, 401K - 3% contribution match after 1 year, (not sure about dental & health insurance - was covered by spouse and didn't need)

Advice to Management

(1) Hold some staff meet & greet events, (2) allow some cross-team work (aka switching clients for staff travel conveniences in FMS), and (3) implement general training for new hires - taking up experienced staff time to train the exact same thing to every single new hires
    Keep improving the firm - Some improvements made: HQ moved to a really nice Wall St. office and updated website & firm name/logo

"Great internship company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I interned at Ncheng LLP as an international student for period of 6 months. Prior to my internship, I did not have any work experience, but at Ncheng LLP I got to experience everything that makes an internship succesful. I had great exposure to different clients (Brooklyn and Harlem), a variety of tasks, meetings, seminars, and of course the "New York way of working. Although I was an accounting intern, I got the chance to work at the audit department for two days, after my request. The audit manager,Ileana Cortorreal, is simply great, I learned more from her in those two days than in my 8 weeks of audit classes.

What I really liked about this company is the attitude of senior management towards their staff. Very open and approachable. Definitely a company I would apply for a full time position if I were living in New York.

Cons

The HR department did not seem well structured. Definitely a point of improvement.

"Great opportunity to learn & to advance career quickly"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NCheng full-time

Pros

Friendly diverse staff willing to teach/help. Interesting specialized work with not for profits. Fast growing firm which allows you to advance as quickly as you are able. Committed senior management team. High ethical standards and commitment to clients & staff. High tech environment. Salaries grow quickly. Opportunities for alternative work schedules.

Cons

In Financial Management Services staff frequently travel to client locations. This can be a pro or a con depending on how a person likes to work. I like traveling around the city.

4. "Stable Job with Potential for Large Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at NCheng full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Great place to develop accounting and business knowledge.
    2) In depth look at many diverse nonprofit management teams and structures.
    3) Office has top notch technology, is new, and in a very good location.
    4) Huge potential to grow in position and salary if you are ambitious.
    5) Great work life balance where you are able to manage your time needs as long as expectations are met.
    6) Very high job security as long as you're hard working.
    7) Open door policy that allows for access to upper management no matter what position you are in.
    8) Nerou Cheng, the managing partner, is a man of vision who knows what he wants. If you do not agree with his vision or his methods he is always willing to discuss with anyone inside the company at any level. He emphasizes the importance of staying ahead of the curve.
    9) The IT at NCheng is top notch and allows access at all locations with top of the line technology. The IT manager on top of being very knowledgeable is a positive influence on the office atmosphere.
    10) Work that is done is for profit, but you are helping good, powerful causes run their businesses successfully.

Cons

1) FMS department and Audit department act as two separate functioning entities. Furthermore, different managers within FMS operate differently with some being better than others.
    2) Although clients business models are diverse they still are mostly all non-profits which can pigeon toe you.
    3) Have to travel to clients and work in diverse environments which are sometimes less efficient then working at a set desk.
    4) Company has roughly 80 employees, but it is hard for even experienced staff to know more then 30% of co-workers by name.
    5) Benefits do not include vision and dental.
    6) HR is understaffed even with a HR manager who dedicates countless overtime to completing tasks.
    7) Due to high job security many employees are able to slide by doing minimal work.

Advice to Management

1) Look at both clients and staff and assess is they are value added or non value added.
    2) Make a larger firm hierarchy that distinguishes staff as they grow or develop.
    3) Invest in quality, loyal staff as they are your biggest asset.

5. "Bad"

Current Employee - Intern Staff Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern Staff Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at NCheng (Less than a year)

Pros

Going to clients and gaining knowledge on fms work. A lot to learn.

Cons

Horrible company in terms of atmosphere and personalities in the office. If I need to get some papers or documents I feel threatened and I know I will be attacked by management. Worse, I probably won't get it out of fear from management.

Advice to Management

Create a peaceful environment in the office where we don't feel watched or threatened by management if we need something we are entitled to.

6. "Staff Accountant"

I worked at NCheng full-time

Pros

I was working as staff accountant at FMS group. My supervisors / senior accountant and manager were very nice and professional. I learned a lot through training within a short period of time.

It's pleasant and rewarding experience working at NCheng. Great place to work if you are looking for opportunities to grow.

Cons

Overall it's great experience for me. The main office is at great location, but some clients are a little bit far.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more staff meetings.

"Totally waste of time"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

None, there is nothing positive about this company. A total waste of time, a career killer.

Cons

Totally a waste of time. Supervisors will micro manage you to the point you want to quit. Lead partner needs a reality check, has no real knowledge of the work to be performed. Never got my 401k started.

Advice to Management

Go home!

8. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great company to work for. CEO is great and the staff is very friendly. The office is in a great location and it is very nice.

Cons

Don't know who works for the company as the staff is always outside. It would be nice to have a daily office staff.

Advice to Management

Have more parties and events for the staff to mingle

9. "Beware..!!! Join at your own risk."

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at NCheng full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none to comment on!

Cons

Management (Senior Accountants & Supervisors) are terrible and no leadership and support of employees. Micro micromanagement. Favoritism. Don't care about employees. Management and the clients are rude, disrespectful and untrustworthy. They don't honor any agreements or commitments. Constantly turn things around to blame the employees and don't take responsibility or accountability for their actions. Poor salary and benefits. Avoid working there.In short this place is a complete joke!

Advice to Management

Be Professional. Doesn't deserve to be rated but had to give a star to complete the review.

10. "Great Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at NCheng full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have got really good clients.Full hands on experience.Mostly Automated work.Salary is good with benefits!

Cons

Few clients are far away from the office location.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!