NEEA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2017

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great and impactful job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at NEEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, collaborative culture, mission-based work, great benefits, investment in employees professional development

Cons

Flat organizational structure limits upward mobility, process-driven management structure doesn't allow for as much nimble and adaptive management as is required in rapidly changing industry

Advice to Management

Look forward, redefine the organization's value proposition and role in the region

"Caution: trauma ahead. Misalignment critical."

Former Employee - Planning Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Planning Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at NEEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were fantastic and smart. This is one of the few jobs that has resulted in life-long friends. I learned a lot about myself and my capacity for stress. Energy efficiency is a lofty workplace value, and understanding the levers of market change is valuable.

Cons

This was by far the most stressful job I've had. I worked there nearly three years and we reorganized twice. Many co-workers were dismissed without warning, even when doing a good job. They would just disappear.
    Management was set up in a way that there was a layer cake: middle management was pulled in the ever-changing direction of upper management. Upper management was more focused on looking good than doing good work, which is what the staff was concerned with.
    With literally 50 different goals, coordinating large teams was hard as well. We had no infrastructure support, no databases internally, yet worked with exterior consultants that were paid gobs more than we were to tell management what we were saying all along. It was a comical error of overusing cheap tools (like Office, instead of analysis tools that the industry uses) by throwing bodies at it, all the while paying people externally, so we can be perceived as being frugal (because external contracts aren't 'administration overhead'). Penny wise: pound foolish.
    We also had so many meetings, because I was on 8 distinct initiative teams, that performing became difficult.
    Internal upward mobility was only relegated for the politically savvy darlings. And even then, they were axed without warning. A few competent people could make an impact, but then they were dismissed without explanation as well.
    Certain personalities dominated the toxic politics of the office and became local deities.
    I don't know what it takes to be successful there. But I gave it my all for a 25% pay cut to work within my scope of values. Simply put, I was exploited and cast aside. Management continues to blame the victims of their insufficient processes and tone deaf policy. Morale swings between prison camp and the Titanic, post-iceberg.
    By the end of my tenure, and after my third poor on-paper/official annual review (they did that to save money and not give you a raise), I was told that I was no longer welcome.
    I was devastated and had little self confidence. It's only now that I realize that it wasn't me. It was them. I'm a fantastic worker and highly desired now, and have worked in very prestigious positions. I just didn't fit in their culture of turfy layer cake.
    At least I have some genuine friends out of the deal.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an upward channel whereby you listen to the employees without prejudice. A 360 review annually would help. And a review process that isn't biased toward no pay raise is also helpful. Anonymous feedback channels is recommended.
    Employees are afraid to share their struggles because they feel insecure working there. Transparency is missing, and reliance on outdated technology is not a way to keep employees. They can't let their skills wane by working at what seems to be a glimmering beacon of sustainability. You really need to listen, bottom up, instead of sharing your top-down funding woes. An all-hand meeting should be used to bolster confidence, not erode it.
    Instead of focusing on how the organization is perceived, focus on the work that you do and let that speak for itself. You attract amazing talent: utilize them.
    Also provide your employees opportunities to learn and master new software. Keep up on the latest trends. And by Jove, if you're going to be managing regional data, have a way of securing it other than a shared drive. Enact an actual data management plan and have a way to do some analysis on that data.

3. "Sr Program Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at NEEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great cause in energy efficiency, interesting work, great colleagues.

Cons

Poor leadership and lack of teamwork at director level.

Advice to Management

ED needed to get determine high level strategy and get directors to work together better. (2014 timeframe.)

5. "Great team to work for as contractor"

Former Contractor - Research Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Research Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at NEEA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative approach to working with contractors
    Mission driven
    Clear, effective communications
    High expectations with the support to help you meet them
    Fulfilled contractual obligations efficiently

Cons

Industry-wide politics and bureaucracy can stall projects

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

"Has promise"

I worked at NEEA full-time

Pros

Amazing work - groundbreaking, respected internationally, very respected organization

Cons

Sr. management turmoil and lack of leadership from both sr. team and the Board is contributing to low morale and high stress.

Advice to Management

Focus and support is needed internally. Board needs to be managed.
    Board needs to support organization.