NEPC Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston, MA Area

3.3
Richard M. Charlton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good place to work in consulting but lacks vision long term"

I worked at NEPC full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, generally pleasant people to work with, relaxed culture, strong visibility in the industry

Cons

More sales focused than investment focused, thinks like a service-oriented business rather than performance-oriented investment firm, mixed bag of professionals (some highly intelligent but many lacking depth and actual investment knowledge), many older partners do not invest back into firm

Advice to Management

Invest in the firm and retain talent, research and actual investment acumen should be at the heart of the business, if performance is good, no one cares about "client service"

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at NEPC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and locations. Ability to work from home and independently is a bonus. A lot of great people with the organization.

Cons

The pay is lower here especially if you're brought up through the ranks. Need to be able to pay employees what their worth and not get away with cheap labor because they've been there so long.

Advice to Management

Pay employees that are dedicated and loyal who consistently go above and beyond as much or more than new hires that have yet to prove themselves.

3. "Hedge Fund Analyst"

Former Employee - Hedge Fund Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Hedge Fund Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at NEPC (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of autonomy early on

Cons

Position can be boring and redundant

4. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Research Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at NEPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Encourages growth within the firm. Best culture I have worked in since leaving school. For the most part, people are interested in seeing you succeed.

Cons

There are times when compensation may appear to be lower than what is truly deserved, but it is mostly the consultant business model itself.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide employees with opportunities to grow. Keep junior level employees updated on business plans of the company.

"Opportunity is there in the right places."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at NEPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Senior management is approachable and genuinely cares about employees. The same can't always be said for practice group leaders; however, that isn't to say that they don't care at all. Opportunities to stretch yourself are there if you know how to navigate the hierarchy.

Cons

Jumping through hoops should be included in the job description.

Advice to Management

Take a more active role in developing the next generation of management and leaders internally. External hires only work for so long and end up being more costly in the end.

"Undercover Snakes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at NEPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex Fridays in the summer. That's it!
    SOME (when I say some I literally mean a hand full) great people to work with

Cons

LOW PAY (super UNDERPAID)
    Favoritism
    dog eat dog
    They act like they care and they DO NOT
    VERY VERY VERY HIGH turnover rate
    Sneaky People

Advice to Management

Get your head from your nether region. Remember there is a little thing called karma, so be careful. And stop driving Mr. Charlton's hard work to the ground because thats whats happening

"Very inconsistent with Policies and protocol"

Former Employee - Consulting in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consulting in Boston, MA

I worked at NEPC full-time

Pros

Wealth of Investment knowledge at your disposal

Cons

Inconsistent messaging and policy implementation which seems to be very selective.

Advice to Management

Stick to your policies and don't make things up and violate policies in order to accomodate certain people

8. "Great internship experience."

Current Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The overall work environment and treatment of their employees was the best reason for working at NEPC. They truely cared about their employee satisfaction.

Cons

Overall the work was unexiting and uninvolving. It is not as fast paced industry as the rest of the financial world. There is also little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to have more trust in employee knowledge and capabilities. If this was more the case, I think the overall company would benefit from more innovation.

"Focus on providing great investment advice to our clients. The client always comes first."

Current Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA

Pros

People really care and they want to do the best job for clients. You can be recognized for your contributions and promoted from analyst to consultant.

Cons

PAs burn-out and turnover. Not sure senior managmement has a vision for the future. Its tougher to grow now and we have not been able to pay people the same as before. You get different answers to questions when you ask different people running the company or even my team leader vs. another team leader. Not sure everyone's on the same page.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals and let everyone know what they are and what we are trying to do. We can't be everything. Also, maybe we should think about selling to someone bigger with deeper pockets.

10. "Great opportunities if you are a strong performer ."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Great place to learn - very smart people, who are passionate about what they do
    Growth and advancement opportunities for strong performers
    Management cares - they listen to feedback and try to work to make changes
    Great benefits
    Well respected in the industry

Cons

Expectations are very high - can be last minute requests with tight deadlines or changes at last minute - both can lead to long hours. Really depends on your manager. Is not that way for me personally.