NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Owen Mahoney

Pros
  • Lots of cool perks, such as basketball court, food, etc (in 8 reviews)

• Great people across all departments (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • MapleStory is a death sentence for your work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• No room for growth from customer support (in 6 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Localization Copy Editor in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Copy Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just want to say that Nexon is a great company. A lot of the reviews on here are semi-misleading because they refer to any of the offices - and we have MANY. Nexon is not responsible for the building upkeep, either. That's PCT. Also, like any game studio, your experience at a company is often based on the team with which you work. Some teams may not be as enjoyable, others will make going to work your favorite thing of the week - something I can proudly say is what I have.
    - Company happy hour: A great monthly event where you get free beer and food and get to hang out with everyone... And get paid!
    - Company lunches: Another monthly event where you get to eat a delicious catered lunch!
    - Awesome people: Like any game studio, you're going to work with some of the funniest, most sincere, and incredibly talented people you've ever worked for.
    - Games: Let's be honest, if you're working in games you like games. Who doesn't like being paid to play games?
    - Location: The Nexon America office in El Segundo is in a great location. Tons nearby and very close to LA.
    - The Work: Depending on your team the work can be very fun and challenging. I've learned more in my time at Nexon than I have in the rest of my career.
    - Work-Life Balance: This is very team specific. But on mine we have excellent work-life balance. Rarely do you work more than 40 hours a week, and when you do you get company paid dinner during OT.
    - Benefits: The benefits are great! I have health insurance! What else could I ask for?

Cons

Things are DEFINITELY team dependent. If you have a good team/supervisor, you're going to have a great time.
    There is certainly some preference towards Koreans/Korean-Americans when it comes to leadership positions. However(!!!) this is a Korean company and often requires constant communication with HQ. Not being able to speak Korean would make that difficult, so it's something I understand.
    Pay could be a bit more. Cost of living in the LA area is high. But this is pretty much common throughout the entire industry. Nexon's not much worse than other game studios, but not quite as good as Riot or even Blizzard.
    Upward mobility can be a little bit difficult. But this is an industry problem.

Advice to Management

Happy Hours on Friday, please! Thursdays are annoying!
    Going back to every other week would also be great.
    Giving us a small budget to decorate our work areas would also be a super cool idea.
    And maybe having more snacks around. This is something many other game studios do. A well fed/watered company is a happy company.

2. "Great place to grow your skills"

Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a technology standpoint this is a very progressive company. The fact that Nexon is early adopter of industry trends greatly helps grow skills.
    It is also very diverse, your hard work will take you far regardless of how you look or sound.

Cons

Salaries and bonuses haven't been up to industry levels. However this year , the bonus structure has been changed and has potential to work out well for the employees.

Advice to Management

Nexon is a great place to work at, however there is room for improvement specifically in retention of talent.

"Producer"

Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members that are passionate about the work and take care of each other.
    They are trying to expand by getting more Western developed games.

Cons

Controlled by Korean overlords both in Korea and in El Segundo.
    What games to publish, game updates, and development are all heavily dictated by the whims of the Korean office and their higher ups.
    Constant change in both upper management and organization/teams.
    Commitment to Quality is a goal that is preached but rarely obtained. Its hard when a massive MMORPG has 1 or 2 QAs dedicated to it.
    Compensation is not up to market for most positions. Not even close.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees and help them step up/convince Korean developers to see the differences in Korean Market and North American Market.

"Too Bureaucratic"

Current Employee - Product Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are good and talented people

Cons

Too much internal politics
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

None

"Management Getting Worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good/talented people.

Cons

New CEO(General manager?) is not quite capable of doing this job. A lot of people are leaving and i can see why.

Lower salary compring to other companies

Advice to Management

Few steps back and see the big picture.

"Just Don't"

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

- used to have free happy hour
    - good benefits

Cons

- High turnover: budget Cut / Laid off for most departments
    - Low Pay
    - Too much internal politics
    - no room for growth

Advice to Management

Implement a 360 degree review process and better evaluate your people asset. Listen to others instead of being fixated with the old method.

"A place to go to if you have no dreams and are looking for an easy job."

Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people across all departments. Flexible hours. Good location.

Cons

Company is too cheap to pay to clean floors, refill soap in the bathrooms. Extreme racism towards non-Koreans. No actual experience developing or publishing western games. Most of the leadership, operations team do not speak fluent english, which is embarrassing and frustrating when trying to work with western studios.

Advice to Management

If you want to succeed in the west, learn to adapt to different cultures, and trust the people you've hired.

"Too Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got my foot in the door working in online games production. Some of the employees are pretty cool, but a lot of "lifers". The company was trying to go through a "Western Renaissance" while I was there, focusing on developing western games and exporting back to asia. Doesn't seem to have worked out, last I heard the parent company (HQ in JP) is reappointing more Korean leadership. They've been down that road before... With the products they're pushing and the developers they have falling apart, I don't see a lot of growth potential for the company.

This was strictly the PC division in El Segundo, btw. Can't speak to the Emeryville mobile location.

Cons

On a personal level,they rarely seem to promote from within. The structure felt too hierarchical and political for a normal worker to rise. Once you realize that those HR performance review things are a load of BS, you'll start looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't get pigeon holed in PC and mobile. Western core gamers are on console and steam... Embrace those markets!

"think carefully"

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

good learning experience ina big area of the gaming industry - online. You may or may not be asked to do more that what you were hired for - depending on who or dept you work for. there are some great manager s and execs who super care about the dorection of the company and fight the good fight. The company has really tried to change over the last couple years and the CEO is pretty strong on new games which is exciting. Some great policies like unlimited vacation,is nice and always hopeful on bonus - but not so far. Really nice new building, great new stuff and helps us get together once in while.

Cons

there are always 2 straight up camps - openly waring for control. it makes it hard for the little guy to move through the company - unless you work for the right guy (Korean). Get used to hearing that you are "never as good/experienced" as the Kreans" though - no matter your history or past or what you do for Nexon. No bonus's but everyone works really hard - for YEARS - but we always hear how rich the head corporation is :( no understanding of our side of issues from the Korean devs - we just have to jump when they call. every problem is our problem.

Advice to Management

decide what you want to be when you grow up and then stick to it or at least, don't always blame us when things don't go the way they are supposed to.

"IT work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NEXON (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big IT infrastructure. Good experience. Learning a lot high volume of traffic.

Cons

Hard to balance work and life.