NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

2.3
Owen Mahoney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Casual and fun work environment, creative space, nice and interesting coworkers, caring managers, approachable and attentive Facilities & HR team" (in 12 reviews)

• "Lots of cool perks, such as basketball court, food, etc" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance was a challenge for my position (but that's not the case for everyone)" (in 12 reviews)

• "not much room for growth, you do the same thing day in day out" (in 7 reviews)

"Localization Coordinator"

Former Employee - Localization Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Localization Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer during town hall meetings
    Coworkers were good
    Best manager I've ever worked for

Cons

Pay is low but the benefits make up for it

2. "Localization Team"

Former Employee - Associate Localization Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Localization Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NOTE: My review is mostly about my localization team experience.

- Katy was one of the best bosses that I have ever had. I learned a lot from her. I could always count on her to hear us out and treat us fairly.
    - Nice coworkers
    - Thorough training
    - Collaborative environment
    - Flexible lunch time

Cons

- Frequent overtime for some team members (but it was steadily improving as I was leaving Nexon.)
    - Work-life balance was a challenge for my position (but that's not the case for everyone)
    - Slightly lower pay than the industry average in LA area as mentioned by employees from other Nexon teams

Advice to Management

Competitive pay would be nice! :)

"Publishing bad games badly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Talented coworkers
    • Functional stepping stone

Cons

• Nexon America is governed entirely by nonsensical edicts from across the Pacific. Values and dynamics that work in Asia (egregious sexualization, pay-to-win mechanics, bottomless gacha pits) enrage Americans, and yet, despite constant financial face-plants, some inexplicable arrogance subordinates this whole office to that formula.
    • Correspondingly, Nexon's hierarchy resents vertical feedback. The only people with agency wear suits on another continent, and apparently these executives would rather jam their hubris forever than listen to the westerners on their payroll trying to raise flags. The experience of this, as boots on the ground, means toiling on projects you know will fail from absolute first glance. No superior wants to hear your concern, whether you voice it one-on-one to your supervisor or in front of the whole office to the president at a Q&A, because what do you know? This game was huge in China—have you seen the books?
    • The company’s culture prioritizes decorum and relationships over product, allowing inexperienced and artless developers to dictate the publishing process. To be fair, however, why would people who can't identify quality sacrifice for it?
    • HR hates everyone, and everyone hates HR. The adversarial vibe is clear, likely because leadership has no connection to games or industry culture, constantly prioritizes their own idea of fun over the office's, and seems to resent providing things employees want. One time, to boost morale after a massive layoff wave, a well-meaning admin dude set up a snack station, and his boss griped audibly about how much people ate.
    • Wages/salaries are well below industry standards. I know this is corporate practice du jour, but excluding employees from benefits as contractors engenders—especially when your products suck—the opposite of loyalty. The only reason to work at Nexon is to then work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

• I don't know how to say this more clearly to whoever's picking which games come west: nobody here wants to play horny garbage. Stop making us stare up little girls’ skirts and spend like whales to have a baseline experience. If you just scoffed, you’re unqualified, and you should quit.
    • Take seriously the concerns your employees raise, especially when they speak for the market you're trying to reach. They know better, as your bottom line demonstrates, and are honestly softening their critiques to sound professional. Every "Have you considered...?" conceals a "How is this still a thing?!"
    • Massaging content to better fit its destination is part of publishing. You have the clout and expertise to tell these developers no, and yet you let them run all over you with attitude. If you don’t use your stature, you don’t have it. Locate your spine.
    • Replace Regina George.
    • Pay your employees industry-standard salaries. I know you lack the funds to do this, but that's because you make bad games (solution obvious).

"Poor leadership only focused on making more money"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard to find pros to be honest.
    -Good coffee machine
    -doesn't have a strict clock in time

Cons

-long working hours despite being able to start later
    -the projects just keep piling up even when previous projects are still pending
    -not much room for growth, you do the same thing day in day out
    -our customer service is one of the worst
    -the only goal of this company is money and more money
    -very low pay
    -we have to get approval from nexon korea which is enefficient as nexon korea loves to take their own sweet time
    -Did I mention that the customer service is bad and all they want is the customer's money? And by bad I mean they don't even bother reading the reports from customers and just send a copy-paste message and mark the report issue as resolved.
    - If you weren't in the inner circle, you weren't moving up
    -Unprofessional

Advice to Management

You should really listen to the customers. Even the gacha and treasure boxes from maplestory m are rigged smh.

5. "Decent place to work for experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy enough job to understand and maintain. It really isn't difficult to do the job you are hired for.

Cons

Publisher. Not a lot of room, if any, for promotion or career growth. You will stagnate after a while if your desire is to move up in the company or obtain another position.

"A lost office"

Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch once per month.
    Occasionally, HR allows people to go home before 5pm (e.g., before Christmas holiday)
    Rare opportunity to learn how NOT to publish games in the West

Cons

Micro-management is the preferred style
    Retrograde treatment of employees
    Bed bug infestations several times per year
    Korean language skills necessary to stay informed
    History of very weak products

Advice to Management

Please please stop scaring all the good talent away.

"Very weak leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not enough to mention here.

Cons

Managers are selected because of tenure or because they don't really want to pay a real manager.

Advice to Management

Hire real managers, not just give the job to anybody.

"Good place to learn things, if you make it into the inner circle, you're golden"

Former Employee - Live Game Production in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Live Game Production in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some of the best co-workers one could ask for
    - You learned a lot from colleagues that were willing to teach
    - Free food on last Fridays of the month

Cons

- Serious cases of Nepotism
    - If you weren't in the inner circle, you weren't moving up
    - Quality workers got laid off, robot managers that don't understand video games got promoted

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees, since they still play video games and understand the market better than any spreadsheets will tell you
    - 360* reviews are a must if you wish to improve your management style
    - Stop making decisions based on numbers and go with what is actually fun and has potential to make money
    - Break away from the old-school mentality where I will only talk to managers and my title makes me your superior
    - Focus more on employee retention and player retention will come naturally
    - Its not always about money

"Dirty office, out of touch management, cutting enjoyable activities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great.
    You're working on games.

Cons

HR is power hungry and doesn't want the company to continue doing things they don't think are "fun" (Happy hour, holiday party, Star Wars screening, etc.).
    Half the "perks" are gone. No more happy hour, no language classes, no quarterly town halls.
    It doesn't "feel" like a game studio. It's dead quiet, aside from some teams, half the company doesn't game.
    The games Nexon makes are super lackluster, unoriginal, and cash-grabby
    Work-life balance isn't great.
    BED BUGS! There are bed bugs in the office. Have been for months.
    No room for upward mobility. There is a very strict time guideline for when you can be promoted, even if you moved laterally from another company.
    You rarely get the opportunity to socialize outside of your team.
    Very cliquey. If you aren't "in" with the right people, you're going to have a bad time.
    Salaries are pitifully low.
    Everything is dictated by the mothership in Korea.

Advice to Management

Get people in charge of the major departments who are actual gamers. This is a game studio, we shouldn't be discouraged from having fun at work. Go to Blizzard, Riot, or any other "competitor" and see what the office feels like. Stop making it so corporate.
    HR needs to actually do their jobs and communicate when there are things going on like bed bugs in the office for half a year. Instead they stay quiet and take long lunches while on company time.
    Stop cutting the enjoyable things at the office.

10. "Associate Manager Operations"

Former Employee - Associate Manager Operations in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager Operations in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with on a daily basis were fantastic, both eager to learn and help when needed.

Cons

Constantly shifting focus and management.