NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

2.7
Owen Mahoney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual and fun work environment, creative space, nice and interesting coworkers, caring managers, approachable and attentive Facilities & HR team (in 12 reviews)

• Great people across all departments (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • MapleStory is a death sentence for your work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Not much room for growth, difficult to keep your passion up (in 6 reviews)

"Localization Coordinator"

Former Employee - Localization Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Localization Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer during town hall meetings
    Coworkers were good
    Best manager I've ever worked for

Cons

Pay is low but the benefits make up for it

"Good place to learn things, if you make it into the inner circle, you're golden"

Former Employee - Live Game Production in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Live Game Production in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some of the best co-workers one could ask for
    - You learned a lot from colleagues that were willing to teach
    - Free food on last Fridays of the month

Cons

- Serious cases of Nepotism
    - If you weren't in the inner circle, you weren't moving up
    - Quality workers got laid off, robot managers that don't understand video games got promoted

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees, since they still play video games and understand the market better than any spreadsheets will tell you
    - 360* reviews are a must if you wish to improve your management style
    - Stop making decisions based on numbers and go with what is actually fun and has potential to make money
    - Break away from the old-school mentality where I will only talk to managers and my title makes me your superior
    - Focus more on employee retention and player retention will come naturally
    - Its not always about money

"Dirty office, out of touch management, cutting enjoyable activities"

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great.
    You're working on games.

Cons

HR is power hungry and doesn't want the company to continue doing things they don't think are "fun" (Happy hour, holiday party, Star Wars screening, etc.).
    Half the "perks" are gone. No more happy hour, no language classes, no quarterly town halls.
    It doesn't "feel" like a game studio. It's dead quiet, aside from some teams, half the company doesn't game.
    The games Nexon makes are super lackluster, unoriginal, and cash-grabby
    Work-life balance isn't great.
    BED BUGS! There are bed bugs in the office. Have been for months.
    No room for upward mobility. There is a very strict time guideline for when you can be promoted, even if you moved laterally from another company.
    You rarely get the opportunity to socialize outside of your team.
    Very cliquey. If you aren't "in" with the right people, you're going to have a bad time.
    Salaries are pitifully low.
    Everything is dictated by the mothership in Korea.

Advice to Management

Get people in charge of the major departments who are actual gamers. This is a game studio, we shouldn't be discouraged from having fun at work. Go to Blizzard, Riot, or any other "competitor" and see what the office feels like. Stop making it so corporate.
    HR needs to actually do their jobs and communicate when there are things going on like bed bugs in the office for half a year. Instead they stay quiet and take long lunches while on company time.
    Stop cutting the enjoyable things at the office.

4. "Associate Manager Operations"

Former Employee - Associate Manager Operations in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager Operations in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with on a daily basis were fantastic, both eager to learn and help when needed.

Cons

Constantly shifting focus and management.

"Constant change in strategy, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Mostly nice co-workers
    - Great location in El Segundo close to restaurants
    - Casual dress code
    - Playing video games is part of the culture
    - Subsidized Korean language classes

Cons

- Unprofessional and nasty Head of HR (she has since left the company)
    - Scapegoating culture
    - Low salaries, no stock for non-upper management employees
    - Few skills growth opportunities
    - Teams disempowered by meddling from upper management

Advice to Management

Hire employees whose expertise you can trust instead of getting involved in every level of decision-making. Hire a people-centric Head of HR.

"Overall good company and fun experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I mostly enjoyed my time at Nexon. As a full-time employee (I can’t speak for temps), compensation and benefits were all adequate. Workload was reasonable, culture was relaxed and casual with people playing games, and the workspace and facilities are better than most places I’ve worked. For me, it was generally a pleasant environment for day-to-day work.

Cons

There are a lot of issues with Nexon depending on who you ask, since things vary widely between departments. You’ll find some departments where people are mostly happy and friends with each other, and next to them you can find a department struggling with personal conflicts, or workload issues, or organizational problems, etc.

I think prospective employees should talk to people in that department to find out what it’s really like. Don’t rely on HR or Managers to give you the whole story.

Advice to Management

For upper management and HR, I recommend them to keep doing what they started in 2017: getting lots of feedback from employees on how things are going. This idea started off well at the beginning of the year, but then noticeably lost steam.

It’s important to reach out to individual employees and do a pulse-check to find out what’s making them happy or unhappy. Either you’ll initiate this conversation, or they will when they give their 2-week notice. I think you know which scenario happens more often right now.

"Okay place to work"

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Majority of people are competent and friendly
    -Benefits/Perks
    -Easy-going vibe
    -Nice office / location (but the traffic is bad)

Cons

-Politics (I work in a safe haven where everything is cool, but I hear rumors)
    -Management tries to make the work culture more Asian: old fashioned and strict
    -Nexon America doesn't have much power over Nexon Korea, so it can be very frustrating for people who are passionate about games
    -Underwhelming salary

Advice to Management

-Communication. Most intelligent people can hear through sugar-coated horse crap quite easily. It's a huge demotivator and it also makes us not trust you. Try your best to make NxK understand and direct the company to cater to the Western market. Read Console Wars

"Steady improvements... but still a ways to go"

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nexon America has recently gone through many changes to improve company morale and to overcome many of the inherited downfalls of the company from past leadership.
    New talented individuals have joined the company breathing fresh ideas and perspective for the company, helping eradicate old long standing issues.
    New titles are being added to the current portfolio and creating new opportunities for employees and the company.

Cons

Much of the problems with Nexon are inherited from past leadership and despite current efforts much progress still needs to be made.
    While morale is on the incline it is still overall low and as a result many employees who have been with the company longer than 3 years are eager to find new opportunities creating high attrition.

"Nexon M Questionable Ethics, Questionable Practices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nexon M (Emeryville, Ca) has an open office layout in an historic building. The grounds around the building are heavy with flowers (which is great).

Cons

Don't get brainwashed by their constant speeches about promoting from within or diversity that they're struggling to foster. Many teams are broken up into a dysfunctional pod structure that was mandated in order to IMPROVE the many communication failures that plagues the marketing teams. This structure has hindered cultural growth and collaboration between teams has all but vanished. Management, and more importantly, the HR team (which is dominated by nothing but Gree hires...can we say nepotism much?) routinely excludes others from company events, sponsored happy hours or when someone leaves and the company covers the farewell party. Due to this, some teams have no problem flaunting their egos and exclaiming how important they are despite little in the way of contribution coming from them. Turnover is horrendous here and I've never seen a company lose soo many people in just a few months. Do yourself a favor, work for any one of the multitude of bay area gaming companies and give Nexon M a pass.

Advice to Management

Review the talent you have, stop creating a workplace that's not inclusive and break up the buddy clubs that are running your hard working employees into the ground.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Majority of the people you work with are friendly, hardworking, and come from a variety of backgrounds.
    - Although your experience at Nexon depends on your department and managers, I've yet to come across someone who wasn't willing to provide their support.
    - Fun tournaments, happy hours, company lunches, and team outings!
    - The El Segundo branch is located in a great area. There are plenty of places to eat nearby that you can walk or uber to at a low cost. You can also take the shuttle downtown if you'd like.
    - The new CEO is young, passionate, and friendly. He's willing to listen to what Nexies have to say, and I think that's important. He's all about visibility and tries to keep everyone in the loop.

Cons

- If you don't live in the area, driving can be absolute hell, but lots of people are willing to drive the distance to work here, so don't let the scary LA traffic prevent you from applying.
    - It's not Blizzard or Riot, but it's still a great, growing company that's huge globally. Also, you'll be surprised at how many people that work at Nexon right now are actually from Blizzard, Riot, or other mainstream gaming companies that everyone always raves about.