NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Owen Mahoney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • MapleStory is a death sentence for your work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Not much room for growth, difficult to keep your passion up (in 6 reviews)

"Overall good company and fun experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I mostly enjoyed my time at Nexon. As a full-time employee (I can’t speak for temps), compensation and benefits were all adequate. Workload was reasonable, culture was relaxed and casual with people playing games, and the workspace and facilities are better than most places I’ve worked. For me, it was generally a pleasant environment for day-to-day work.

Cons

There are a lot of issues with Nexon depending on who you ask, since things vary widely between departments. You’ll find some departments where people are mostly happy and friends with each other, and next to them you can find a department struggling with personal conflicts, or workload issues, or organizational problems, etc.

I think prospective employees should talk to people in that department to find out what it’s really like. Don’t rely on HR or Managers to give you the whole story.

Advice to Management

For upper management and HR, I recommend them to keep doing what they started in 2017: getting lots of feedback from employees on how things are going. This idea started off well at the beginning of the year, but then noticeably lost steam.

It’s important to reach out to individual employees and do a pulse-check to find out what’s making them happy or unhappy. Either you’ll initiate this conversation, or they will when they give their 2-week notice. I think you know which scenario happens more often right now.

"Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Majority of people are competent and friendly
    -Benefits/Perks
    -Easy-going vibe
    -Nice office / location (but the traffic is bad)

Cons

-Politics (I work in a safe haven where everything is cool, but I hear rumors)
    -Management tries to make the work culture more Asian: old fashioned and strict
    -Nexon America doesn't have much power over Nexon Korea, so it can be very frustrating for people who are passionate about games
    -Underwhelming salary

Advice to Management

-Communication. Most intelligent people can hear through sugar-coated horse crap quite easily. It's a huge demotivator and it also makes us not trust you. Try your best to make NxK understand and direct the company to cater to the Western market. Read Console Wars

"Steady improvements... but still a ways to go"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nexon America has recently gone through many changes to improve company morale and to overcome many of the inherited downfalls of the company from past leadership.
    New talented individuals have joined the company breathing fresh ideas and perspective for the company, helping eradicate old long standing issues.
    New titles are being added to the current portfolio and creating new opportunities for employees and the company.

Cons

Much of the problems with Nexon are inherited from past leadership and despite current efforts much progress still needs to be made.
    While morale is on the incline it is still overall low and as a result many employees who have been with the company longer than 3 years are eager to find new opportunities creating high attrition.

"Localization Coordinator"

Former Employee - Localization Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Localization Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer during town hall meetings
    Coworkers were good
    Best manager I've ever worked for

Cons

Pay is low but the benefits make up for it

"Great place to work"

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Majority of the people you work with are friendly, hardworking, and come from a variety of backgrounds.
    - Although your experience at Nexon depends on your department and managers, I've yet to come across someone who wasn't willing to provide their support.
    - Fun tournaments, happy hours, company lunches, and team outings!
    - The El Segundo branch is located in a great area. There are plenty of places to eat nearby that you can walk or uber to at a low cost. You can also take the shuttle downtown if you'd like.
    - The new CEO is young, passionate, and friendly. He's willing to listen to what Nexies have to say, and I think that's important. He's all about visibility and tries to keep everyone in the loop.

Cons

- If you don't live in the area, driving can be absolute hell, but lots of people are willing to drive the distance to work here, so don't let the scary LA traffic prevent you from applying.
    - It's not Blizzard or Riot, but it's still a great, growing company that's huge globally. Also, you'll be surprised at how many people that work at Nexon right now are actually from Blizzard, Riot, or other mainstream gaming companies that everyone always raves about.

6. "Nexon M Questionable Ethics, Questionable Practices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nexon M (Emeryville, Ca) has an open office layout in an historic building. The grounds around the building are heavy with flowers (which is great).

Cons

Don't get brainwashed by their constant speeches about promoting from within or diversity that they're struggling to foster. Many teams are broken up into a dysfunctional pod structure that was mandated in order to IMPROVE the many communication failures that plagues the marketing teams. This structure has hindered cultural growth and collaboration between teams has all but vanished. Management, and more importantly, the HR team (which is dominated by nothing but Gree hires...can we say nepotism much?) routinely excludes others from company events, sponsored happy hours or when someone leaves and the company covers the farewell party. Due to this, some teams have no problem flaunting their egos and exclaiming how important they are despite little in the way of contribution coming from them. Turnover is horrendous here and I've never seen a company lose soo many people in just a few months. Do yourself a favor, work for any one of the multitude of bay area gaming companies and give Nexon M a pass.

Advice to Management

Review the talent you have, stop creating a workplace that's not inclusive and break up the buddy clubs that are running your hard working employees into the ground.

"they try and try but fails every time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nexon will train you (even pay to immigrate you if you are from korean) and then other companys will hire you and pay you for what you know. its the best gaming school ever.

Cons

constant revolving door of management and so changes point of view - each person reinvents wheel, changes what last person did and staff pay the price. Corporate High Management don't really care and blames games. Chaos.

Advice to Management

pick one direction, pick one person, trust them, trust the staff and give everyone a chance to succeed. Stop looking for a quick fix and playing favorites - it's so obvious to everyone.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Localization Copy Editor in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Copy Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just want to say that Nexon is a great company. A lot of the reviews on here are semi-misleading because they refer to any of the offices - and we have MANY. Nexon is not responsible for the building upkeep, either. That's PCT. Also, like any game studio, your experience at a company is often based on the team with which you work. Some teams may not be as enjoyable, others will make going to work your favorite thing of the week - something I can proudly say is what I have.
    - Company happy hour: A great monthly event where you get free beer and food and get to hang out with everyone... And get paid!
    - Company lunches: Another monthly event where you get to eat a delicious catered lunch!
    - Awesome people: Like any game studio, you're going to work with some of the funniest, most sincere, and incredibly talented people you've ever worked for.
    - Games: Let's be honest, if you're working in games you like games. Who doesn't like being paid to play games?
    - Location: The Nexon America office in El Segundo is in a great location. Tons nearby and very close to LA.
    - The Work: Depending on your team the work can be very fun and challenging. I've learned more in my time at Nexon than I have in the rest of my career.
    - Work-Life Balance: This is very team specific. But on mine we have excellent work-life balance. Rarely do you work more than 40 hours a week, and when you do you get company paid dinner during OT.
    - Benefits: The benefits are great! I have health insurance! What else could I ask for?

Cons

Things are DEFINITELY team dependent. If you have a good team/supervisor, you're going to have a great time.
    There is certainly some preference towards Koreans/Korean-Americans when it comes to leadership positions. However(!!!) this is a Korean company and often requires constant communication with HQ. Not being able to speak Korean would make that difficult, so it's something I understand.
    Pay could be a bit more. Cost of living in the LA area is high. But this is pretty much common throughout the entire industry. Nexon's not much worse than other game studios, but not quite as good as Riot or even Blizzard.
    Upward mobility can be a little bit difficult. But this is an industry problem.

Advice to Management

Happy Hours on Friday, please! Thursdays are annoying!
    Going back to every other week would also be great.
    Giving us a small budget to decorate our work areas would also be a super cool idea.
    And maybe having more snacks around. This is something many other game studios do. A well fed/watered company is a happy company.

"Great place to grow your skills"

Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a technology standpoint this is a very progressive company. The fact that Nexon is early adopter of industry trends greatly helps grow skills.
    It is also very diverse, your hard work will take you far regardless of how you look or sound.

Cons

Salaries and bonuses haven't been up to industry levels. However this year , the bonus structure has been changed and has potential to work out well for the employees.

Advice to Management

Nexon is a great place to work at, however there is room for improvement specifically in retention of talent.

"Producer"

Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members that are passionate about the work and take care of each other.
    They are trying to expand by getting more Western developed games.

Cons

Controlled by Korean overlords both in Korea and in El Segundo.
    What games to publish, game updates, and development are all heavily dictated by the whims of the Korean office and their higher ups.
    Constant change in both upper management and organization/teams.
    Commitment to Quality is a goal that is preached but rarely obtained. Its hard when a massive MMORPG has 1 or 2 QAs dedicated to it.
    Compensation is not up to market for most positions. Not even close.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees and help them step up/convince Korean developers to see the differences in Korean Market and North American Market.