NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Owen Mahoney

Pros
  • The work environment will be a little easier if you're Korean or know how to speak in Korean (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of cool perks, such as basketball court, food, etc (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance as well as the system if promotions (in 8 reviews)

• Low salary against huge revenue (in 8 reviews)

"Management Getting Worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good/talented people.

Cons

New CEO(General manager?) is not quite capable of doing this job. A lot of people are leaving and i can see why.

Lower salary compring to other companies

Advice to Management

Few steps back and see the big picture.

"Too Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got my foot in the door working in online games production. Some of the employees are pretty cool, but a lot of "lifers". The company was trying to go through a "Western Renaissance" while I was there, focusing on developing western games and exporting back to asia. Doesn't seem to have worked out, last I heard the parent company (HQ in JP) is reappointing more Korean leadership. They've been down that road before... With the products they're pushing and the developers they have falling apart, I don't see a lot of growth potential for the company.

This was strictly the PC division in El Segundo, btw. Can't speak to the Emeryville mobile location.

Cons

On a personal level,they rarely seem to promote from within. The structure felt too hierarchical and political for a normal worker to rise. Once you realize that those HR performance review things are a load of BS, you'll start looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't get pigeon holed in PC and mobile. Western core gamers are on console and steam... Embrace those markets!

"think carefully"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

good learning experience ina big area of the gaming industry - online. You may or may not be asked to do more that what you were hired for - depending on who or dept you work for. there are some great manager s and execs who super care about the dorection of the company and fight the good fight. The company has really tried to change over the last couple years and the CEO is pretty strong on new games which is exciting. Some great policies like unlimited vacation,is nice and always hopeful on bonus - but not so far. Really nice new building, great new stuff and helps us get together once in while.

Cons

there are always 2 straight up camps - openly waring for control. it makes it hard for the little guy to move through the company - unless you work for the right guy (Korean). Get used to hearing that you are "never as good/experienced" as the Kreans" though - no matter your history or past or what you do for Nexon. No bonus's but everyone works really hard - for YEARS - but we always hear how rich the head corporation is :( no understanding of our side of issues from the Korean devs - we just have to jump when they call. every problem is our problem.

Advice to Management

decide what you want to be when you grow up and then stick to it or at least, don't always blame us when things don't go the way they are supposed to.

"Okay"

I worked at NEXON full-time

Pros

You get to play a game for work.

Cons

Low salary. You don't get the time to rest or chat with other workers. There isn't really training period. You will have to learn most of the things by yourself, which is difficult.

Advice to Management

If you don't have knowledge of game or IT, this will be a difficult job.

"Nexon"

Pros

Benefits are nice, and the people are a lot of fun.

Cons

Nexon is a large but slow moving ship.

"Terrible company"

Pros

Lots of cool perks, such as basketball court, food, etc.

Cons

Just about everything else is terrible

"Favoritism runs rampant"

Pros

Fun atmosphere for the most part with the casual work environment and fun perks

Cons

The executives running the show create employee morale issues because of their favoritism

"Hard to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lunch breaks, benefits, the usual.

They also have a nice break area. The view is great. If anything, this made working for the company tolerable.

Cons

The employees know nothing about their game, and purposefully neglect the playerbase. This is terrible practice, and I truly hope that they rectify it in the future. Most of the time, the employees run around in confusion. Especially during regular game maintenance. It is truly pathetic and I am glad to have escaped their clutches.

Advice to Management

Get good.

10. "Sometimes I really enjoyed Nexon! Most times I sighed and dealt with it."

Former Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I haven't worked at Nexon in awhile, but while I was there:
    1. Backing of the well funded Asian arm ensured the company wasn't shutting down overnight. That counts as a blessing these days.
    2. Effort to be create a full fledged publishing operation created new units and focused on improving many aspects of current operations.
    3. Like-minded, passionate people who you bond with because you are going through a traumatic experience together and spending more time with than your significant other.

Cons

1. Pay was mediocre
    2. Work/life balance was not a consideration. If work to be done, it needs to be done.
    3. The import of employees from Korea plus hiring of locals caused a fissure in the org that really wasn't justified. Nexon is tough on everyone equally.
    4. Leadership lacked experience in running a company.

Advice to Management

Many Korean companies have opened US offices and ended up shutting them down. You guys are winning the marathon. That's a rare accomplishment.

"Definitely interesting, maybe in a bad way."

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to get your foot in the door, this is the place for you. They're desperate to take anybody. To their credit, they are one of the more prominent Korean publishers.

Cons

Politics. They push people out, place incompetent people in management, and promote the unworthy. It's a farce. Incompetent developers coupled with incompetent top management means disaster. Oh yeah, they tend to pay Koreans less than non-Koreans, so watch out.

Advice to Management

Good luck!