NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Owen Mahoney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Constant change in strategy, poor leadership"

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Mostly nice co-workers
    - Great location in El Segundo close to restaurants
    - Casual dress code
    - Playing video games is part of the culture
    - Subsidized Korean language classes

Cons

- Unprofessional and nasty Head of HR (she has since left the company)
    - Scapegoating culture
    - Low salaries, no stock for non-upper management employees
    - Few skills growth opportunities
    - Teams disempowered by meddling from upper management

Advice to Management

Hire employees whose expertise you can trust instead of getting involved in every level of decision-making. Hire a people-centric Head of HR.

"Management Getting Worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good/talented people.

Cons

New CEO(General manager?) is not quite capable of doing this job. A lot of people are leaving and i can see why.

Lower salary compring to other companies

Advice to Management

Few steps back and see the big picture.

"Too Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got my foot in the door working in online games production. Some of the employees are pretty cool, but a lot of "lifers". The company was trying to go through a "Western Renaissance" while I was there, focusing on developing western games and exporting back to asia. Doesn't seem to have worked out, last I heard the parent company (HQ in JP) is reappointing more Korean leadership. They've been down that road before... With the products they're pushing and the developers they have falling apart, I don't see a lot of growth potential for the company.

This was strictly the PC division in El Segundo, btw. Can't speak to the Emeryville mobile location.

Cons

On a personal level,they rarely seem to promote from within. The structure felt too hierarchical and political for a normal worker to rise. Once you realize that those HR performance review things are a load of BS, you'll start looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't get pigeon holed in PC and mobile. Western core gamers are on console and steam... Embrace those markets!

"Hard to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lunch breaks, benefits, the usual.

They also have a nice break area. The view is great. If anything, this made working for the company tolerable.

Cons

The employees know nothing about their game, and purposefully neglect the playerbase. This is terrible practice, and I truly hope that they rectify it in the future. Most of the time, the employees run around in confusion. Especially during regular game maintenance. It is truly pathetic and I am glad to have escaped their clutches.

Advice to Management

Get good.

5. "Sometimes I really enjoyed Nexon! Most times I sighed and dealt with it."

Former Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I haven't worked at Nexon in awhile, but while I was there:
    1. Backing of the well funded Asian arm ensured the company wasn't shutting down overnight. That counts as a blessing these days.
    2. Effort to be create a full fledged publishing operation created new units and focused on improving many aspects of current operations.
    3. Like-minded, passionate people who you bond with because you are going through a traumatic experience together and spending more time with than your significant other.

Cons

1. Pay was mediocre
    2. Work/life balance was not a consideration. If work to be done, it needs to be done.
    3. The import of employees from Korea plus hiring of locals caused a fissure in the org that really wasn't justified. Nexon is tough on everyone equally.
    4. Leadership lacked experience in running a company.

Advice to Management

Many Korean companies have opened US offices and ended up shutting them down. You guys are winning the marathon. That's a rare accomplishment.

"Bad bpay, long hours, underappreciated staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The office environment is one of the best I've ever worked in: basketball court, free drinks/snacks, company mixers.
    -The overall atomosphere here is really relaxed, everyone gets along really well.

Cons

-Ideas ignored or even rejected by management.
    -Grossly overworked staff (frequently have to stay after hours in order to meet deadlines)
    -All about money: Many of Nexon's most popular games are in decline because the higher-ups want to maximize profits as much as possible rather than create a enjoyable experience for their players.

Advice to Management

-Get your priorities straight, or else this company will go down the drain (or already has)
    -Focus more on the players rather than pure $$$.

"This company and missed opportunities"

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment, when not facing strenuous deadlines concerning updates, patches, whatever, is very relaxed and the people you meet are wonderful.
    Basketball court, lounge, and beautiful beach view.
    Great place to make life-long friends and find people who are truly compassionate about their jobs and the games.

Cons

Leadership is addled and confused. They have no clue how to manage these games and are hindered even further by Nexon Korea.
    Meager pay.
    Harsh deadlines and late nights.
    No overtime.
    Some of the policies are for certain individuals only.

Advice to Management

Learn to have some courage and don't needlessly follow everything that Nexon Korea tells you. You are your own company and you're missing out on gems and alienating your player base. Instead of doing the right things and pushing for certain games, you've allowed games which at one time were one of your leading moneymakers, to fall stagnate. Now you try and focus on other games, letting the true gems escape you. I understand some of the reason and verdicts come from Nexon Korea, but with a little push things could have been different. This adds stress to your workers also, as they are met with a community that dislikes them, especially when we aren't allowed to communicate with them. This has them believing things like bugs and errors are our fault, especially when we aren't giving time to look over the code and fix these things. I mean come on, you get a patch and want us to translate, code and import it in less than two weeks? This company only cares about money. The way the employees are treated tends to be fair, given the deadlines, but some of the management could do with not showing preferential treatment to some of the less talented and more loyal employees. The lack of communication between Nexon and Nexon Korea is also killer, with everything seemingly dropped last minute. With a better tie to our communities, better attempts at understanding the load put on your employees, and some infrastructure changes, the company could grow and expand, seeing an overall better product produced.

"Looking to work here? Keep looking, you can do better."

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basketball court
    Great, talented people, personal friendships and networking opportunities
    Safe neighborhood

Cons

Poor wages (do your homework when applying, there ARE companies that will pay you fair market value)
    Fail executive staff (aimless vision, no transparency, don't know what to do with the talent)
    Failing company (all the top talent has already escaped this sinking ship, while the remaining talent are avidly looking for new opportunities elsewhere).
    I've got a hunch the Nexon America office will be closed by Big Daddy Korea/Japan so they can focus on the asian market.

Advice to Management

There are great people here. Your customers are loyal and wonderful as well. But when your idea of driving revenue is to post big banners and popups for sales rather than crafting an excellent user experience, and the competition catches up with the Free 2 Play model, you're destined to fail once you've lost sight of the people.

"Nexon is one of the worst gaming companies to work for."

Current Employee - Vindictus Game Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Vindictus Game Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-As many breaks as our current team manager allows which was quite often
    - Basketball court and food lounge
    - Employees great to work with, not so the higher ups.

Cons

-I recently quit the Vindictus NA team because of how corporate treats us and making us unable to speak to players about the issues at hand that make this company so unprofessional.
    -Under alot of pressure to get assignments done at an unreasonable rate to the point where I have to go home and finish it and add it to a USB to bring back to work.
    -Have to relay all information to Nexon Korea before Nexon NA can do anything regarding issues to the game, they gave us the patches for everything and i mean everything......
    -Seoul, IE Nexon Korea will be doing an overhaul and probably firing a lot of staff in 2013 I assume.
    -Overall Nexon is a company where you can get your foot in the door for some experience then quit as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to change there outlook. Making games into where its basicly give us money or you will have a bad experience. The higher ups have no idea about the gaming industry, "more profit is more important than player experience" is corporate in a nutshell.

"Could be better"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NEXON part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on some of the largest F2P games available
    Decent office
    Very flexible times, if part-time
    Coffee machine never breaks

Cons

Team synergy is below par
    Terrible morale
    Not much enthusiasm, you'll understand why if you decide to work here
    Not so flexible times, if full-time

Advice to Management

Less focus on the money, more on value through service.