NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Owen Mahoney

Pros
  • The work environment will be a little easier if you're Korean or know how to speak in Korean (in 9 reviews)

• opportunity for gaming industry newbies and rarely terminate employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance as well as the system if promotions (in 7 reviews)

• Low salary against huge revenue (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture there is awesome! People are friendly and the office looks amazing. The management and CEO running the operations really know what they are doing and the direction of the company seems to be moving up!

Cons

Pay is slightly lower than some of the big companies out there

Advice to Management

Things are great! Being in L.A though, everyone could use a little bit more money.

"Moving on and up"

I have been working at NEXON full-time

Pros

The company is growing at a fast rate with new games, a new office and a lot of new blood.
    Pros include:
    -New office space with bar, ping pong, arcade machines and more
    - Strong new Western titles in development which give you hope for the future
    - Very nice people
    - Decent salary and benefits
    - Company genuinely trying to win

Cons

- Some culture clash with long time employees who want to do it the old or Korean way
    - Currently in a phase where the old games are dying and the new ones just starting so missed bonus target this year
    - Understaffed

Advice to Management

Follow the course and don't be swayed by people who want to do things the way they are used to because it is easier.

"Getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Passionate coworkers who care about the game industry
    Leadership from the top that wants to grow into the western market with a solid lineup of new games
    Really nice bar!!

Cons

Frequent team reorgs mean your roles and projects change just when you're getting used to them.
    frustrating working with overseas developers, their priorities don't always match up with ours

Advice to Management

Work on developing talent from within. It seems like there are lots of passionate, knowledgable people at the company who don't move up because they don't get the training they need to succeed in higher positions

"Graphics Designer"

Pros

Altogether, I had a bit of work and a great team.

Cons

Work/life balance as well as the system if promotions. A guy who does his work ahead of time is considered worse that a guy who does his job later and stays in the office helping others in vague ways.

Advice to Management

Don't count hours when someone isn't doing a single thing.

6. "Great co-workers, fun environment, and opportunity to learn!"

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Nexon America for over 6 months and am very proud to work for this company. As soon as I started I felt like a part of the team and everyone that I work with is really helpful and fun to work with. The work/life balance is excellent and there are always events Nexon puts on throughout the year including monthly lunches, quarterly outings, and holiday parties just to name a few. Communication through monthly town halls keep the important updates of the company fairly transparent. I am very busy with day to day work here and never bored, my team encourages me to learn more which is often difficult to find in a company. The environment is relaxed yet professional, casual wear to work is awesome! Testing out new video games with your co-workers is so fun, even if you aren't a gamer. It is not unusual to receive an email from The President of the company telling you to test out our games and play. I feel like if you have a positive attitude, a creative mind, and love a busy work environment you will enjoy working at Nexon.

Cons

Things are constantly changing so if you are not someone that can adapt to change this would not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in a positive direction and keep the communication between upper management and employees strong.

7. "Friendly folks. Still defining their structure."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are friendly and the senior staff including CEO are approachable.

Cons

Structure is always changing so jobs are not clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Use more long term strategies for management structure. Let people get used to their roles and have them clearly defined.

"Great people, great games."

Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leading free to play gaming company - you can learn a lot about running game as a service.
    Great experience learning more about other regions - especially Asia.

Cons

Work life balance... also, there was lack of leadership. It was hard to tell where we were heading to...

"Overall a "good" experience at Nexon America."

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a casual atmosphere. Great gym in the building next door. Quite a few team outings that are fun and to cool places.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb the ladder at Nexon. It seemed as if you were at least making it seem like you were busy, staying late as much as possible (even though there may not be anything pressing to handle), etc., that was seen as productive and a way to look good in the eyes of upper management. I saw micro managers move right up and it seemed to be due to their overall apparent stress level, willingness to constantly work late (needed or not) that made them appear to be steering things in the right direction. Then there were other employees who quietly got things done in a much more efficient manner and didn't need to work late five days a week that got pushed aside.

Advice to Management

The only complaint I ever have with Nexon is that there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on working long hours as if that is always the way to go. I've seen QA forced to stay late multiple times even though they were absolutely not a necessity. Paying overtime to employees has to be a huge cost to the company and it always seemed over the top. Producers constantly stay late and other team members feel they need to hang around too, if only to appear to be a team player when it may not be productive for the game team or the company as a whole to do so. This majorly disrupts the concept of work/life balance within game teams and the company as a whole. Suddenly just being present past normal working hours was an indicator of a good employee, which is not a good thing at all.

"Localization Project Manager"

Pros

Gained global experience with renowned publisher over the world.
    Leaned how to work well in dynamic and multifaceted setting.

Cons

Low salary against huge revenue.
    No overtime work allowance.

"Big things ahead"

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time

Pros

I've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

Cons

The departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Advice to Management

Invest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.