NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

Owen Mahoney
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • MapleStory is a death sentence for your work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Not much room for growth, difficult to keep your passion up (in 6 reviews)

"Overall good company and fun experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I mostly enjoyed my time at Nexon. As a full-time employee (I can’t speak for temps), compensation and benefits were all adequate. Workload was reasonable, culture was relaxed and casual with people playing games, and the workspace and facilities are better than most places I’ve worked. For me, it was generally a pleasant environment for day-to-day work.

Cons

There are a lot of issues with Nexon depending on who you ask, since things vary widely between departments. You’ll find some departments where people are mostly happy and friends with each other, and next to them you can find a department struggling with personal conflicts, or workload issues, or organizational problems, etc.

I think prospective employees should talk to people in that department to find out what it’s really like. Don’t rely on HR or Managers to give you the whole story.

Advice to Management

For upper management and HR, I recommend them to keep doing what they started in 2017: getting lots of feedback from employees on how things are going. This idea started off well at the beginning of the year, but then noticeably lost steam.

It’s important to reach out to individual employees and do a pulse-check to find out what’s making them happy or unhappy. Either you’ll initiate this conversation, or they will when they give their 2-week notice. I think you know which scenario happens more often right now.

"Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Majority of people are competent and friendly
    -Benefits/Perks
    -Easy-going vibe
    -Nice office / location (but the traffic is bad)

Cons

-Politics (I work in a safe haven where everything is cool, but I hear rumors)
    -Management tries to make the work culture more Asian: old fashioned and strict
    -Nexon America doesn't have much power over Nexon Korea, so it can be very frustrating for people who are passionate about games
    -Underwhelming salary

Advice to Management

-Communication. Most intelligent people can hear through sugar-coated horse crap quite easily. It's a huge demotivator and it also makes us not trust you. Try your best to make NxK understand and direct the company to cater to the Western market. Read Console Wars

"Great place to grow your skills"

Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a technology standpoint this is a very progressive company. The fact that Nexon is early adopter of industry trends greatly helps grow skills.
    It is also very diverse, your hard work will take you far regardless of how you look or sound.

Cons

Salaries and bonuses haven't been up to industry levels. However this year , the bonus structure has been changed and has potential to work out well for the employees.

Advice to Management

Nexon is a great place to work at, however there is room for improvement specifically in retention of talent.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture there is awesome! People are friendly and the office looks amazing. The management and CEO running the operations really know what they are doing and the direction of the company seems to be moving up!

Cons

Pay is slightly lower than some of the big companies out there

Advice to Management

Things are great! Being in L.A though, everyone could use a little bit more money.

"Getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Passionate coworkers who care about the game industry
    Leadership from the top that wants to grow into the western market with a solid lineup of new games
    Really nice bar!!

Cons

Frequent team reorgs mean your roles and projects change just when you're getting used to them.
    frustrating working with overseas developers, their priorities don't always match up with ours

Advice to Management

Work on developing talent from within. It seems like there are lots of passionate, knowledgable people at the company who don't move up because they don't get the training they need to succeed in higher positions

6. "Friendly folks. Still defining their structure."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are friendly and the senior staff including CEO are approachable.

Cons

Structure is always changing so jobs are not clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Use more long term strategies for management structure. Let people get used to their roles and have them clearly defined.

"Great people, great games."

Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leading free to play gaming company - you can learn a lot about running game as a service.
    Great experience learning more about other regions - especially Asia.

Cons

Work life balance... also, there was lack of leadership. It was hard to tell where we were heading to...

"Overall a "good" experience at Nexon America."

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a casual atmosphere. Great gym in the building next door. Quite a few team outings that are fun and to cool places.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb the ladder at Nexon. It seemed as if you were at least making it seem like you were busy, staying late as much as possible (even though there may not be anything pressing to handle), etc., that was seen as productive and a way to look good in the eyes of upper management. I saw micro managers move right up and it seemed to be due to their overall apparent stress level, willingness to constantly work late (needed or not) that made them appear to be steering things in the right direction. Then there were other employees who quietly got things done in a much more efficient manner and didn't need to work late five days a week that got pushed aside.

Advice to Management

The only complaint I ever have with Nexon is that there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on working long hours as if that is always the way to go. I've seen QA forced to stay late multiple times even though they were absolutely not a necessity. Paying overtime to employees has to be a huge cost to the company and it always seemed over the top. Producers constantly stay late and other team members feel they need to hang around too, if only to appear to be a team player when it may not be productive for the game team or the company as a whole to do so. This majorly disrupts the concept of work/life balance within game teams and the company as a whole. Suddenly just being present past normal working hours was an indicator of a good employee, which is not a good thing at all.

"Big things ahead"

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time

Pros

I've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

Cons

The departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Advice to Management

Invest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.

10. ":)"

Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people.
    Managers/Team Leads are always willing to share their knowledge.
    Friendly work environment.

Cons

Bit of a drive if not in the area. TRAFFIC