NEXON Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Owen Mahoney

Pros
  • Lots of cool perks, such as basketball court, food, etc (in 8 reviews)

• Great people across all departments (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • MapleStory is a death sentence for your work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• No room for growth from customer support (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great, with a couple drawbacks"

Current Employee - Administrative in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent hours, great benefits, Close-knit teams.

Cons

Unappreciative little kids demanding everything on a silver platter that are never pleased no matter what we do.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Great!"

Pros

Start-up feel. Great people with good energy and willingness to be the best.

Cons

Things tend to move a bit slow in terms of processes.

3. "Web Designer"

Current Employee - Website Designer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Website Designer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at NEXON (Less than a year)

Pros

Good variety of design work

Cons

None that I can think of

4. "10/10"

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun laid back environment.
    Great People.
    Great location and office.
    Fun games.

If you relate to the companies goals and work 110% and come in smiling you will love it here.

Cons

Honestly have no complaints, I believe if anyone that is unhappy with their job did not try hard enough to be happy at their job. This being said sure there are hard times but you have to go above and beyond to be successful.

Advice to Management

Don't stop believing.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Localization Copy Editor in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Copy Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just want to say that Nexon is a great company. A lot of the reviews on here are semi-misleading because they refer to any of the offices - and we have MANY. Nexon is not responsible for the building upkeep, either. That's PCT. Also, like any game studio, your experience at a company is often based on the team with which you work. Some teams may not be as enjoyable, others will make going to work your favorite thing of the week - something I can proudly say is what I have.
    - Company happy hour: A great monthly event where you get free beer and food and get to hang out with everyone... And get paid!
    - Company lunches: Another monthly event where you get to eat a delicious catered lunch!
    - Awesome people: Like any game studio, you're going to work with some of the funniest, most sincere, and incredibly talented people you've ever worked for.
    - Games: Let's be honest, if you're working in games you like games. Who doesn't like being paid to play games?
    - Location: The Nexon America office in El Segundo is in a great location. Tons nearby and very close to LA.
    - The Work: Depending on your team the work can be very fun and challenging. I've learned more in my time at Nexon than I have in the rest of my career.
    - Work-Life Balance: This is very team specific. But on mine we have excellent work-life balance. Rarely do you work more than 40 hours a week, and when you do you get company paid dinner during OT.
    - Benefits: The benefits are great! I have health insurance! What else could I ask for?

Cons

Things are DEFINITELY team dependent. If you have a good team/supervisor, you're going to have a great time.
    There is certainly some preference towards Koreans/Korean-Americans when it comes to leadership positions. However(!!!) this is a Korean company and often requires constant communication with HQ. Not being able to speak Korean would make that difficult, so it's something I understand.
    Pay could be a bit more. Cost of living in the LA area is high. But this is pretty much common throughout the entire industry. Nexon's not much worse than other game studios, but not quite as good as Riot or even Blizzard.
    Upward mobility can be a little bit difficult. But this is an industry problem.

Advice to Management

Happy Hours on Friday, please! Thursdays are annoying!
    Going back to every other week would also be great.
    Giving us a small budget to decorate our work areas would also be a super cool idea.
    And maybe having more snacks around. This is something many other game studios do. A well fed/watered company is a happy company.

"Nexon is changing and I'm ready for it - Riding the wave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Nexon is changing and some people just can't handle it. They want to hang on to the past, can't admit that Nexon is a business and think that they all need to be taken care of. This company and it's executive seem to be doing everything they can to bounce back from some normal down turns (just like Activision, THQ, EA, RockStar and many others) but somehow because it's Nexon - the sky is falling.
    Nothing they are doing is any different that anyother company going through similar situations, they talk about it to employees, they rescructure, they regroup and they are doing everything they can. It's a reality and I believe in them and their plans for how to make our future brighter.
    They are good hearted people, doing the best they can, with the cirmstances they have. the're LOTS of motivated, happy excited people here wanteing to jump in and turn the company around - not everyone has a foot out the door !
    Success will be our best revenge !

Cons

it's a tough time and change is hard.
    Trying to keep away from the negativity and staying positive is hard but hopefully the people who can't see the light will find a new home and take their negativitiy with them.

Advice to Management

Hang in there, don't give up and think that we are all critical - lots of us are really with you and we believe in what is happening. New blood is here and we'll help swing the pendulum in the right direction - toward a new day !

7. ":)"

Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people.
    Managers/Team Leads are always willing to share their knowledge.
    Friendly work environment.

Cons

Bit of a drive if not in the area. TRAFFIC

"Big things ahead"

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at NEXON full-time

Pros

I've worked in the creative department at Nexon for 10 months and have seen a change in Sr. Management (Director level over creative, Marketing and Customer Service groups) and some restructure. Some people left, some people were asked to leave and some new faces came on board. Overall the place has improved a ton since the end of 2014.

Pros: I genuinely like all of the people I work with and have laughed every single day since I started in July 2013.
    Management seems to be getting closer to a unified vision and seems to be making strides in driving the business in the right direction. I believe Nexon is positioned to be big in the industry in the next few years.

I've had a lot of freedom and autonomy to drive the changes I believe are best. This works if you don't like to be micromanaged and can rise to the challenge of driving results yourself.

I know some departments have a problem with long hours but I've only put in a handful of late nights here while big projects are getting ready to ship. I think the work/life balance is fair and competitive.

1 paid off between christmas and new years is awesome.

Cons

The departments need to learn to work better together (See a comment a few down that says "interference by less important departments" wtf? You think LGP is the only important department?)

There are still a good amount of people who say "But that's not the way we've done it in the past." Gotta lose that, super frustrating.

A lot of bad opinions of Nexon on the web (and rightly so, lots of bad policies in the past at the expense of gamers.)

Advice to Management

Invest in more UX experts and continue on your path to be a user-centered company.

Make sure all levels of the company have the resources they need to take the products into the future.

"Localization Project Manager"

Pros

Gained global experience with renowned publisher over the world.
    Leaned how to work well in dynamic and multifaceted setting.

Cons

Low salary against huge revenue.
    No overtime work allowance.

"Overall a "good" experience at Nexon America."

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at NEXON full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a casual atmosphere. Great gym in the building next door. Quite a few team outings that are fun and to cool places.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb the ladder at Nexon. It seemed as if you were at least making it seem like you were busy, staying late as much as possible (even though there may not be anything pressing to handle), etc., that was seen as productive and a way to look good in the eyes of upper management. I saw micro managers move right up and it seemed to be due to their overall apparent stress level, willingness to constantly work late (needed or not) that made them appear to be steering things in the right direction. Then there were other employees who quietly got things done in a much more efficient manner and didn't need to work late five days a week that got pushed aside.

Advice to Management

The only complaint I ever have with Nexon is that there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on working long hours as if that is always the way to go. I've seen QA forced to stay late multiple times even though they were absolutely not a necessity. Paying overtime to employees has to be a huge cost to the company and it always seemed over the top. Producers constantly stay late and other team members feel they need to hang around too, if only to appear to be a team player when it may not be productive for the game team or the company as a whole to do so. This majorly disrupts the concept of work/life balance within game teams and the company as a whole. Suddenly just being present past normal working hours was an indicator of a good employee, which is not a good thing at all.