NFI Massachusetts Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Counselor"

Former Employee - M A, M Div in New Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - M A, M Div in New Hyde Park, NY

I worked at NFI Massachusetts (More than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal staff with excessive experience from DSH.

Cons

Political case from DMH, it can work out very right if you know how to roll with it. "do not fight your funding source!"

Advice to Management

Continue expansion at a sustainable rate.

2. "Good people, pay could be higher"

I worked at NFI Massachusetts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people working in NFI. Good management.

Cons

pay was on the low end while on contract with the state

3. "Good Personal Growth"

I have been working at NFI Massachusetts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers, good training's, Real world experience

Cons

Long hours, not best pay, more work then there is time

Advice to Management

Employee Incentives,

4. "Good learning experience for the most part."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I worked at NFI Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team work at times.

Cons

Supervisor did a poor job communicating.

5. "Extremely supportive management and clinical team."

Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Worcester, MA

I worked at NFI Massachusetts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the UMass branch in Worcester MA, on their adolescent mental health unit.
    The pay is decent I felt for the position I was hired for as it averaged higher than other agencies with the same positions. The program is very structured & well supported by upper management. The programs for the kids are excellent. And I took note of how caring the upper management was towards their staff which is extremely nice and I find to be a rarity. The management and clinical teams are so creative, insightful and diverse. Lower level management (like supervisors) are in company promoted and can be over barring at times but they are also extremely supportive. The company appears to promote current employees rather than hire outside the agency which makes everyone able to move up and advance eventually. There's also many positions available if you find you do not like the current one you are working in within the company and no one from upper management holds this against you in any way, they would rather keep good employees and use them effectively rather than keep the employee where they don't want to be and lose them to being unhappy at their job.
    The only reason I no longer work at this agency is because I could not do the commute, it was 90mins to drive and get into the building for me.
    You must have a degree or many years of experience in human service field working with and taking care of people to be hired here (or both). This is not a job they will hire anyone for just to meet ratio requirements, this company is selective and looks for particular skills to be employed by them.
    Any job within the agency is a career job opportunity.

Cons

On a locked unit, no breaks, parking is a nightmare on 3-11 shifts at the UMass Worcester branch.
    You are expected to work at least 45hrs a wk minimum for full time. This is because the staff are expected on shift at 230 and to stay until 11 (8.5hr days 5 days a week) for shift change report. Also staff meetings are twice a month and they are 2hrs at a minimum added to that wks overtime, staff meetings are what make the entire place run effectively as a whole so they are extremely important. Part time is available and no overtime is needed because your not on a full schedule anyways. Relief is a nice option as you do not have to work set shifts or schedules and they always need help.
    The actual job itself can be extremely overwhelming and burn out rates for staff are extremely high. The children you are working with have a wide range of mental health problems and that can be challenging.
    Restraints are often and exhausting.
    This job is not for everyone. You need to have a good balance of empathy and boundaries to succeed.
    The paperwork is abundant and time consuming.
    When you first start on the unit, the other regular staff make you feel like you will not make it here because so many staff quit on a regular basis and I found you have to prove yourself to the staff more than the kids that you are capable to do the job.

Advice to Management

Staff need scheduled breaks off unit meaning able to go outside for a few minutes, staff should not have to explain why they need a break or what they are doing outside on their break because the work itself is why the staff need breaks. If the company provided even 10mins 2x a shift for your staff to take a break your burn out rates would be significantly less than what it is now.
    Reconsider the mandatory overtime that is required for full time.

6. "Direct Care Staff"

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Haverhill, MA
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Haverhill, MA

I worked at NFI Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with youth is a rewarding experience especially being able to help them with their journey in life.

Cons

Management is quick to blame staff for teens' shortcomings or negative behaviors.

Advice to Management

Need better coaching and training.

7. "Poor working conditions"

Pros

nothing positive to share. poor

Cons

Not paid enough for working conditions

8. "Residential Counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at NFI Massachusetts (More than a year)

Pros

I truly loved the mission and the values of NFI. I thought their training was done well and they seemed to care about the clients and staff

Cons

Staying late every night.
    Bound strict boundary rules in place that further damage the clients trust and mental state.
    Most of the higher ups are callous to mental health issues (crazy I know)
    They break everyone who builds a positive supportive relationship with the kids
    No structure or activities that actually benefit the clients (aa, groups revolving around dv or relationships etc.)

Advice to Management

So disappointed with my experience at NFI. I eventually had to move on to another organization that paid more and actually encompassed the supportive environment clients need

"NFI ma"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Worcester, MA

I have been working at NFI Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a mission driven organization that truly makes a difference in client and families lives. The staff have a comprehensive training program to allow us to grow as professionals.

Cons

The work is challenging and you must be a person with solid boundaries and decision making.

10. "Good Entry-leve;l position"

I worked at NFI Massachusetts full-time

Pros

-It's a large agency - you can get different positions and grow within the agency
    -It's a great entry-level type of job - you learn a lot as a direct care counselor, especially how to deal with crisis situations
    -They offer a few trainings a year and pay for the hours you are in the trainings.
    - You can get extra-hours working as a relief staff in different programs of the agency.

Cons

- The job can be challenging and the salary is low.