NGM Biopharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

David Woodhouse
0 Rating
  1. "Fantastic company"

I have been working at NGM Biopharmaceuticals

Pros

Small environment with great workers.

Cons

Can improve communication to teams.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2019-02-05

"Micro management"

I worked at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Could be a great place to be if you are in the right team . Pipeline is healthy

Cons

Company is small but the philosophy behind each individual unit is inharmonious . Some groups have set their micromanagement style trumps innovation and, as a result had wasted many talents and discouraged young and bright scientists.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2019-01-03

"A small company with huge aspirations"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NGM is a small, private company founded in 2007 and has about 150 employees. We partnered with Merck in early 2015 in an agreement spanning 5 years. This agreement has helped NGM continue to drive exploratory and translational studies in several different areas, including CardioMetabolic disease, NASH, Immuno-oncology, and Ocular Disease. Our world-class protein science/antibody engineering teams deliver large molecules at a prodigious rate and help power our research at all stages of development. Working here reminds me of Kevin Costner's classic line From The Field of Dreams ("If you build it, they will come") except with this modification: "If the human biology is strong and compelling, then we will pursue it (and efficiently build great large molecule therapeutics along the way)". In a company of this size, everyone knows each other very well. There really is no place to hide; most people are aware of what others are working on and what their roles are in the company. This is much more of a plus than a minus; it is easier/simpler to generate an impact in a company of 150 than in a company of 10K plus like our neighbors located closer to the Bay. This holds true regardless of level, although perhaps some may not see things this way. Our upper management have an open door policy, are readily accessible, and they practice what they preach (to the extent that they are legally allowed). I truly feel that we are ALL working together towards a common goal of creating effective and impactful therapeutics for disease.

Cons

Any workplace this small will have a few downsides associated with it. Micro-managing can happen (in some groups). Certain groups are managed better and have clearer communication than others. Support infrastructure is necessarily small in size, but this can actually be a plus because it is obvious who needs to be approached to get something fixed. Our senior management have historically had tight control over all projects, but this has relaxed in recent years as we have grown and matured as a startup.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2018-09-28

"Not perfect but great company"

I have been working at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very dynamic company with great scientists. Don't let a few disgruntled former employees distort your opinion about this company. No company is perfect. I have worked in quite a few companies before and trust me this is the best so far. There are always not so great managers in any company big or small. But this company is flexible and the upper management does care about you. It is your life, own it.

Cons

We expanded quite quickly over the few couple of years and this has resulted in some growing pain.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2018-04-22

"Depends on the department you are in....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tuesday lunches Great co-workers and activities Most of the upper management- great Bill is awesome! Happy hours, last Friday of the month Onsite gym and Zumba classes Good healthcare plan.

Cons

Depending on where you land at this company- you may get a micro-manager! this is a person who is not confident in their own abilities as a leader and won't allow their employees do the work they are hired and qualified to do. Countless gossip sessions , often about confidential matters, people being nosey and judgmental, A bit dysfunctional when it comes to procedures that are put in place, battling the "OG's" of the company, trying to incorporate better productivity. Dare not have an idea that may actually produce productivity-that will land you in a few unnecessary and unproductive meetings with 8 different people, only to conclude your suggestions can't be done. (Could have sent an email for that thumbs down)

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2018-04-05
  6. "Manager"

I worked at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Great benefits and company culture. The only reason I left the company was because I got tired of my commute. I had a great boss and great team.

Cons

There are no cons for this company.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2018-03-04

"Life is precious - don't waste your time here"

I worked at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wish I could recommend this employer but it's a highly dysfunctional environment. Fortunately there are other better employers.

Cons

There are numerous negative reviews here on Glassdoor - trust those.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2018-01-31

"The last choice"

I worked at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Health insurance is very good for a private company. Staff and the RA-Scientist level are dedicated and bright.

Cons

There are some serious issues with management of the company. Lack of Transparency! The upper management pretend to be care about the employee but that a big lie. Politics and business gets involved with science a lot more than what it supposed to be. Toxic work culture, scientists doing the work never get any credit, credit goes to the favorite people. No chance of promotion if you are one the favorites. Salary is bellow Bay Area average.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2018-01-26

"Great place to work"

I have been working at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great; all my co-workers are engaged, enthusiastic scientists who are truly great to work with. It's a very collaborative, supportive atmosphere. The culture here is truly special. There are many active areas of early discovery research. Because the company is so small, scientists have the chance to be involved in many phases of the drug development process, from early discovery and target validation through pre-clinical and translational work. Teams are diverse but small enough that everyone can make an impact.

Cons

Opportunities for career advancement are limited. There are very few "rungs" on the career ladder, so people with a huge spectrum of experience end up all lumped in together at the same level. A scientist with a post-doc and 5+ years of industry experience may have the same title as someone who just finished their post-doc. An offshoot of that is that someone can work here for many years before being granted a promotion, even with stellar performance reviews and a track record of success.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2017-09-06

"Fantastic people and Target Discovery!"

Current Employee - Scientist II

I have been working at NGM Biopharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People are top notch, with diverse experiences and backgrounds. - People are incredibly friendly and happy to help others. - New target discovery is rare in biotech/pharma and is possible at NGM. - Dynamic environment, with several clinical candidates and many early-stage projects. - Relatively small, so you can get to know everyone on a personal level if you make an effort.

Cons

- As in most places, some managers are fantastic and some are micro-managers. Make sure you're in a group with a manager that fits your style. - Company is in currently expanding quickly, with many new faces every day. - The "con" to having such diverse sets of targets and therapeutic areas is that the efforts can be divided and disparate and it can be hard to make significant progress or have a competitive advantage on each one.

NGM Biopharmaceuticals2017-07-26

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 24 reviews