NGP VAN Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stu Trevelyan

"Best place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NGP VAN is a company that lives and breathes progressive values, not just through the clients it supports, but in the way the company is run:

- Benefits are good and continually improving - in the last couple years they have added generous parental leave, improved the 401k matching, and increased leave for everyone.

- Despite being a successful company for over 15 years, everyone is willing to continually improve. Proposals and suggestions are evaluated based on their merits.

- The people are smart, fun, passionate, and motivated. They enjoy working together and often get together outside of work as well.

- The offices are laid-back. People work hard but the company respects everyone's work-life balance. The new DC Office is beautiful. There's no dress code. There's a softball team and monthly birthday celebrations. The entire company goes on a tropical retreat every two years.

Cons

As with almost all companies that are transitioning from being a small company to a medium-sized one, there are some growing pains. In particular, managers need to work on proactively communicating across the entire company, which is nearing 200 people.

Advice to Management

Management should invest in some more training and other efforts that would help the company to scale more efficiently as it continues to grow.

"Good clients and good tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

* Exclusively progressive clients
    * Don't have to be political to fit in here but if you are it is more fun than anything short of working a campaign
    * Modern tech - up to date .NET / Azure, with smart balancing of cloud flexibility and on-prem cost/control
    * People are both smart and nice
    * New DC office is mint

Cons

* Can take a long time to get a definitive decision on things
    * Centipedes (Boston only) (possibly only one centipede which is now gone)

Advice to Management

Try to clarify and limit the number of stakeholders per project.

"Honestly one of the best places I've ever worked, and probably ever will."

Former Employee - Product in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Product in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are top notch. Maybe we don't always attract Stanford 4.0's who are obsessed with Google and Facebook (there were a lot of MIT folks when I was there though) but the staff are smart and scrappy. Most of them seem to loved their teams, the work that we did, and the clients that we did it for.

Tons of opportunities for advancement in new verticals if you work had and position yourself well to the managers.

I grew so much over the 4 years I spent at NGP VAN and leaving such a supportive and incredible group of people was one of the hardest decisions ever. I have never worked for as many great people as I did during my time at NGP VAN and doubt I will find another job that is as fun and fulfilling.

Cons

The pay isn't always the greatest at the beginning but if you bring value to your team it's pretty easy to get a significant pay raise after a year or two.

Seems like they weren't always the best at "trimming the fat" of the organization. Never really impacted me because the team I was with was great but there are definitely people who should be moved/let go.

Advice to Management

"Move fast and break things" with your hiring process. Incentives valuable staff and cut out staff that aren't a good fit sooner rather than later.

Clarify job boundaries with Managers. Having one product and 5+ different veto level stalk holders can get frustrating.

"Great people to work with"

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

Talented staff who really believe in the causes they work for. Fairly relaxed work environment and flexible scheduling. A decent mix of work/life. You definitely have the opportunity to make friends.

Cons

Salaries are artificially low. This causes a lot of quality people to leave. NGP VAN is a mission oriented company working for political campaigns and non-profits and they seem to use that as a justification for the low wages. There isn't much room for advancement - lots of entrenched management at the top.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals, pay your people more and try not to be so reactionary.

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, lots of great people. Family culture, lots of staff hang out outside the office.

Cons

Leadership moves too fast and doesn't think long term about goals. The office is old and cramped.

Advice to Management

Think long term more often. Pay staff a little better and you could keep talent for longer. Also, try to promote from within, this doesn't happen often.

"Manager"

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

Stand up desks. Good location.

Cons

Low morale. Low pay. Lots of hours. High risk of financial misstatement due to poor management.

Advice to Management

Get new finance management

NGP VAN Response

Jun 29, 2016 – VP, HR

Unfortunately, we had to terminate this employee. Regarding morale, the other reviews by employees on this site tell the story of a happy, family-like workplace where team members are treated well ... More

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. Young, energetic group of people to work with. Late arrival was the norm, and the work week was essentially Monday-Thursday, lots of people teleworked on Friday and the office atmosphere was very relaxed come Friday afternoon.

Cons

High turnover rate, many people moving on to bigger and better things. Office space was also somewhat crowded since they continue to grow as a company, while the location was great they clearly need to find more space to fit everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, this was a wonderful place to work.

"Good people, but changes needed with growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Wonderful, warm, passionate people - family-like, hyper-social environment
    Relaxed company culture
    You're encouraged to build engage the community and pursue professional development opportunities
    Lots of free beer

Cons

Very low salaries for entry level, lower level, and even mid-level. You are expected to take a pay cut "for the cause" even as the company grows and thrives.
    Management and HR processes needs to grow as the company grows, was often times faced with completely inept mid-level managers to which upper-management was completely oblivious.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agile/Scrum development. Code reviews. Clients that matter. Environment is very political in terms of national/local politics, but very apolitical personally and culturally. The bull**** factor is very low.

Cons

The legacy codebase stretches back 12 years in some places. There is active refactoring as we work, but about 1/10th of development work is in incredibly old VB code

Advice to Management

Invest more in your developers and QA resources that remain with the company. Hiring 22 year olds and giving them no raises makes them hate you and want to leave, and it sucks when good engineers leave.

"Excellent Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Client Services Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Client Services Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment providing great services to a worthy cause. Fun place to work with smart, dedicated people. Great window into a different side of the political world.

Cons

Communication between departments is sometimes difficult, which can cause problems to drag on longer than necessary. Communication within departments seems to be very strong, however.

Advice to Management

Communication between departments could be better, but overall management seems very concerned with the welfare of their employees and making sure that employees are producing good work while staying happy.