NGP VAN Reviews

Updated May 18, 2020

3.7
NGP VAN CEO Stu Trevelyan (no image)
Stu Trevelyan
Pros
Cons
  • "There are challenges with growing pains(in 8 reviews)

• "Low pay remains a fact despite some pay bumps that were granted to the lowest-paid employees(in 6 reviews)

1. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoy working here - I’ve been here for the past ten years, and I have no plans to leave anytime soon. I have a lot of great personal friends I’ve made here at the company (both current and past employees) and I love being able to regularly interact with all my smart, interesting, intelligent and compassionate coworkers. I also enjoy that I’ve gotten a raise every year I’ve been here. There’s a lot of freedom to grow at the company - I’ve seen countless of my colleagues start out at the bottom, figure out where they want to go, and build their careers in a different department. Not only does this help build a strong network between teams, it also helps different departments work together - and makes the company stronger. There’s a really honest and realistic approach to work at EveryAction - the company understands that some people can’t work specific hours (whether that’s due to child-rearing or taking care of aging parents or other needs), and they figure out a way to make that schedule work. I really enjoy the corporate retreat (which has a strict no-work policy) every two years on a sunny beach

Cons

The company doesn’t stop you from working too hard, if you want to.

NGP VAN2020-05-19
  2. "its a good place to work"

Current Employee - Job Title

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*communicating well during Covid-19 crisis *free health care for all employees *great mission and colleagues *made improvements in leave policy after feedback from staff- we now have 5 weeks paid leave *increased salaries of lowest paid employees

Cons

*need to clearly define leadership *need to get product roadmap under control or communicate it better

NGP VAN2020-05-14

"Decent pay and great benefits for do-gooder work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This place has provided stable full time employment for people who in a previous life would consider themselves campaign junkies (I'm one of many here who fit that description). Compared to the thrill of campaign life, the work is a bit disconnected from the actual clients, but in return there is job stability across cycles and an actual work/life balance, and the pay is decent. Comparing notes with people in big tech here in Boston, I think the pay here is competitive and the benefits are better (5 weeks vacation, paid parental leave, really good healthcare with no premium if its just for you). Non-profit seems to be more of the focus these days but that scratches the mission side of things for me just as well.

Cons

Many layers of management, hard to make quick decisions sometimes. Provide more ability to take risks and make choices at the team level. I'm a big kid, and I get that work requires coordination, but sometimes even small engineering decisions seem like they need to get made in a committee.

NGP VAN2020-04-15

"People stay here for years for a reason"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been at NGP VAN for 10 years and I'm not alone as a long time employee, here are a few reasons people stay: - Coworkers: I work with smart, hardworking and talented people who care about making the world a better place - Pay: Not as high as some faceless corporation, but hands down the best pay you can find at a mission-driven organization - Work-life balance: Generally work standard hours and great benefits like parental leave and lots of vacation time. - Growing: The company is growing which means new challenges and opportunities, nice place where you can grow with the company

Cons

- Clients: Love our clients but they can be demanding, helps to love the mission if you work here.

NGP VAN2020-02-06

"Good place to work if you care about making the world a better place through tech"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

- Caring, dedicated staff. Never been anywhere like it, with so many people who care about the mission of the company. - As a general rule - the "no a$h0les" rule applies here. People that work here are kind, smart, caring, funny people and friendships are made here that last well beyond employment. There is a family vibe here, and the staff looks out for each other. - A growing company with lots of opportunities for new roles and responsibilities - The company has regularly and steadily increased its benefits. From more PTO to more snacks, better swag to better health coverage, they've done a really good job of continually trying to provide more. - Your clients are all good causes. You work for campaigns and organizations that are literally trying to make the world a better place. - The company is literally at the epicenter of Democratic and Progressive politics/causes.

Cons

- With growth comes growing pains. Internal processes and operational maturity have lagged behind growth. While normal, scaling is hard. - There is a high percentage of middle managers where it is their first time managing. - The company visibility tries its best to do right by its staff, and most of the time it works, but it sometimes isn't executed as well as it could be. Case in point - the company recently tried to address concerns about junior staff wanting more leave. The net result was that everyone at the company got more leave (YAY) but the process took too long and everyone had a lot of thoughts and feelings about it.

NGP VAN2020-02-04
  6. "Supportive environment with opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The people - internally and our clients. My colleagues are SMART, funny, and kind. Our clients do hard work on tight budgets, but it means something to know they are focused on making the world better. - This is a company that invests in people. There are many people here who can attest to opportunities for growth within and across teams. Unlike what some others have said, I know of many cases where management has been flexible in helping people maintain a good work/life balance and problem solve around specific requests when and where they can. - A great benefits package, that is always expanding. I appreciate everything we have, from paid parental leave, 100% healthcare coverage, 401k matching, generous PTO, to name a few! As others have mentioned, the company is also always exploring ways that they can offer more generous and progressive benefits. - The work. See above, but it's pretty cool going to work knowing you're helping organizations get good things done.

Cons

There are challenges with growing pains. I think the company makes efforts to try to connect with employees and be clear about goals, but no one/no company is perfect and certain things can fall through the cracks. I've always found management open to course correcting when they find out about issues, and engaged in solving problems and keeping people happy - even if sometimes that takes longer than people would like.

NGP VAN2020-01-24

"Great, continually improving company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working for NGP VAN for a while, but am only just now compelled to write a review here in order to refute what is clearly an organized campaign by a relatively small number of disgruntled employees to tank our rating. If you are considering working at NGP VAN and using this site to screen companies, I urge you to take the similarly-phrased reviews with a grain of salt. I believe a bunch of people in the same department with limited industry experience have decided to vent online instead of figuring out something more constructive. I would be especially suspicious of the people who claim to have been at the company for an extended period, yet also state that the pay is awful and the management is terrible. I'm all for people trying to improve their situation and the company, but at some point you have to wonder if some people are perhaps don't understand how the industry works. I have over a decade of industry experience, and can say, without a doubt, that this is the best company I have ever worked for. The people, from line engineers to upper management, are thoughtful, caring, hard-working, and intelligent. The company lives its progressive values by continually working to improve - analyzing its policies, considering many viewpoints, and always working to improve. Whereas other companies may have responded to the Glassdoor reviews with outrage, it's a testament to NGP VAN that we actually improved our vacation and pay policies, after taking many viewpoints into account. We now have industry-leading leave policies, including PTO and parental. We offer health care and 401k benefits, provide management and diversity training, and yes, take a bi-annual company-paid retreat to a tropical location. We care about work/life balance and the overall welfare of our employees. HR takes complaints seriously and encourages managers to promote employee career growth. We actively seek our sources of bias and work to reduce it. We have a great location and a cool office. Working for progressive organizations and Democratic candidates is rewarding, and also, by the way, necessary for our country. Working with like-minded progressives has been eye-opening, and I can truly say it has made me a better, more considerate person. Since I have started here, the size of the company has more than tripled, and we've made a huge impact in the industry. Could I make slightly more money elsewhere? Sure, probably. But I know from experience that I would not be nearly as happy or as fulfilled. At NGP VAN I get to work with really smart, funny, progressive people who push each other to keep getting better. I truly don't know what else I could ask for.

Cons

- The company is growing quickly, which presents its own set of challenges. Many of the complaints below about HR, for instance, are off the mark - they are thoughtful and caring - but it is true that they are likely overwhelmed and need to grow in a manner commensurate with the rest of the company. - There's some lack of transparency about our revenue and long-term business plans, particularly from upper management. This leads to people assuming the worst about pay and accountability. - There's no doubt that the pay is somewhat below average, but if you prove your value, management is usually willing to negotiate. Unfortunately that can involve getting a competing offer.

NGP VAN2019-12-17

"This is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I don't know what's going on here, but this company is really great to work for. I've worked for progressive nonprofits before and the benefits are the same here but with better salaries. In past jobs, I also used competitors' products, and they're just not as good. People may want us to be a not-for-profit, but I can't think of a nonprofit competitor that actually can give progressive organizations what they need to fundraise, organize, and all the other stuff the left needs to be doing to fight back against the hell that's in the White House. Yes, there are growing pains, and maybe some people are better at handling that than others. But the company gives us 5 weeks of PTO, pays for our health premiums, and instead of ignoring complaints they held a vote allowing staff to pick a leave policy.

Cons

Growing pains that feel chaotic at times

NGP VAN2019-12-17
  9. "A wonderful place to build a career"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Respect for work-life balance; if you get your work done, you won't be hassled to spend extra time in the office. The HR department recently allowed us to vote between increasing PTO or moving to an unlimited PTO model. -Opportunities for growth: increased investment and revenue has opened doors for employees to earn promotions, or develop new skills by changing departments.

Cons

-Growing pains associated with being a rapidly expanding Saas company: steep sales and marketing targets, a lot of new hires that require a lot of onboarding assistance, etc. -Navigating grey areas between sales and services teams while supporting clients.

NGP VAN2019-12-18

"Lots of good people, but too much micromanaging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of wonderful people who work at this company and want to do good work for good people. We have a family leave policy that is relatively generous, a convenient location (at least in DC), drinks and snacks. Dress code and work environment are casual. I am not typically working crazy long days, and am able to establish some boundaries between work and life (not true in the campaign or non-profit world a lot of us are coming from). My coworker peers are kind and generous.

Cons

The CEO and board (which is extremely small) micromanages the budget in a way that is completely unsustainable for a company as large and growing as this one. The result is an enormous disconnect between what people on the ground need and what executives can and will provide for them, and there seems to be no intellectual curiosity from that group to learn more from their employees asking for help. Authorizing hires for departments that don't directly effect revenue is difficult, and seems to require stats and evidence the board is not willing to define, but still expects. Many departments are underresourced, and count on dedicated people who want to do good work, rather than sufficient staffing. Imagine if they had both? For example, the HR department has been underresourced for over a year. While that may make good business sense on paper, it means the same 3ish people are managing all HR duties for a company that is acquiring new companies, moving offices, and hiring new people rapidly. The result is that things fall through the cracks, people don't have the capacity to do things that need to be done, and the company can point to the small number of HR staff to defend themselves for not doing things they should (like standardizing job descriptions and pay ranges for all job postings) because they don't have the capacity. Meanwhile, new executive positions are created with almost no communication about why or how they're being hired for. The result of this is an executive level that is largely an echo chamber of people who know each other and have worked together before. Not coincidentally, it is not a diverse group. I know someone on here mentioned that the pay here is "better than average" in DC but the truth is they have no way to say that because there is almost no structure or realistic ranges available for positions (some job postings go up with ranges stretching $80K!), and there is secracy and discomfort around having discussions about money in the open. Some may be paid more than average, but I know from my experience and knowledge of some people's salaries, that many are paid much less than market value and much less than they need to survive and thrive in Washington DC (where rent is one of the highest rates in the country) in the year 2019. The salary negotiation process is secretive and undefined. Also -- PTO is part of our compensation, and changing that policy to better reflect the way it's described in all our job descriptions ("generous") is not a favor they are doing for us, but a necessity. I appreciate that they tried to be open about the change, but was pretty disappointed by the unanswered questions in the finished policies.

NGP VAN2019-11-29