NGP VAN Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Stu Trevelyan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People work hard but the company respects everyone's work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The company has good snacks and beer on Fridays (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • LOW pay / unfair pay - people in the same position not compensated at similar rates / experience isn't a factor when giving people an offer (in 5 reviews)

• They act like a non-profit, but they are still a private for-profit company (in 3 reviews)

"Smartest, Kindest, Funniest, Coolest Coworkers! Amazing Clients, Great Software."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I have worked in software for decades and have not found a better group of coworkers. All of them exceptionally good at what they do, at a company bound by purpose and passion. People who are friendly, have personality, a sense of humor, and also happen to be brilliant. I love love love my coworkers.

- Our clients. They are the good guys. Democrats and amazing non-profits. We are not building software for military contractors around here. We build great products for great clients that we are super proud to partner with.

- A place where you do you, and people appreciate you doing you, as long as you are also damn good at your job. Where there is no dress code (unless you count Cat Shirt Wednesday). Where there are free drinks (including social friday in office Happy Hour) and snacks. Where you can have a standing desk or not have a standing desk. Where we sometimes do yoga or do clay hand sculpting just because. Where people play on a softball team, or not, or sometimes organize paintball outings, or not, and it's all good. If you're gonna work hard, it's so nice to not have to spend time pretending to be someone else in order to fit into a scary corporate culture.

- Have you seen the gender diversity we have at the top of our roster?

- We work hard but there is a sincere and serious to taking care of one another. If you need to leave early or whatever to take care of the life you are expected to lead outside of work, it's not a problem because you are not a cog, you are a human being who is treated and valued as such. If you work many hours outside of normal business hours you will be proactively and sincerely asked to cut back because people care about you, don't want you to burn out, and want you to be part of an office culture that promotes work-life balance.

- Our products! We are an agile software company. We are constantly updating our products. Our products are beautiful and do cool things for cool people. You should buy them. (seriously. I don't work in marketing or sales, I swear, but you should buy them). The greatest reward for all of us is when our clients use and love our tools, and achieve great results like exceeding fundraising goals, generating calls and letters to Congress from their supporters, or even telling us that our tools are so much easier to use that they are able to have everyone on their team use the tools themselves instead of bottlenecking work through that one poor beleaguered "IT person" who was the only person who could figure out how to use the old software.

Cons

- This is not a place for slackers. That's not really a con I guess...

- I'm not a drinker so I want other choices on Social Friday and would like more fresh fruit so that I stop eating the tasty but less healthy snack choices.

- The tendency towards collaborative decision making can help ensure decisions are made well, but can be frustrating and take longer. It is a challenge to balance inclusion with decisive action.

Advice to Management

- As we grow it might help us to scale up by having clearer authority. Sometimes it's hard to follow the chain of command / organizational structure. I think we can do this without damaging our culture.

- Please buy us a new toaster. (kidding, not kidding)

"Incestuous workplace with severe micromanaging coming from the top"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Laid back office environment

-Snacks

-Free beer on Fridays

-Decent work/life balance

Cons

-Top leadership has very little business acumen. They've got a lot of experience on democratic campaigns and very little in commercial business.

-"shut up and do it" mentality coming from leadership. Not open to criticism or willing to hear out other options. Most managers just accept that reality and do as told by executives rather than push for a better or more feasible idea.

-very incestuous workplace, more like a college party than a place of work.

-turnover is huge. most employees come and go fairly quickly.

-Sketchy sales practice locks customers in unknowingly and customers who have decided to cancel due to dropping out of a race or insufficient funds will be harassed vigorously for payment.

-Very low pay relative to similar positions elsewhere in the area.

-Little opportunity for career growth.

Advice to Management

-Communicate better

-Push back when executives present you with a bad idea

-Be more concerned about your product rather than being the "cool place to work"

3. "NGP VAN - Engineering"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Smart people. Dedicated professionals.

Cons

Does not pay market. Inferior comp time.

Advice to Management

The start-up culture has it's up side, but think things would be better if engineers were paid closer to market value.

4. "Fun place to work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate and fun coworkers.

Cons

Crappy office. Limited career development opportunities.

"Very good company but could get much better with improved leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

The mission is great. Most of the people are great. Excellent clients. Good culture.

Cons

Need to get better at long-term planning, prioritization. Need to focus on quality over growth and it will pay off long-term. It's a product company, need to be product-driven not sales-driven. Be a more open participant in the campaign ecosphere.

Advice to Management

Do less, do what you do better. Don't spread yourself so thin trying to be everything to everyone. Don't lose site of political side chasing nonprofit side. Pay entry-level employees better.

"Action platform"

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

Left leaning software company with a progressive mission. Nice new office space in Washington, DC

Cons

Legacy codebase, too many dinosaurs in product & management. Bad HR department.

"Amazing Company to Work for"

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

Great People, Lots of FUN, everyone is very helpful..everything is great about that place.

Cons

Nothing to pin point.

Advice to Management

Loved every day at NGPVAN.

""There are easier ways to make a buck""

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

They try to keep their technology stack up to date.

Cons

This is a direct quote from the Company Culture page, which is only visible to employees once they have started working:

"Welcome to NGP VAN. Before you spend any more time here, there is something you should know: There are easier ways to make a buck. There are other jobs out there where you will work fewer hours, do less work, and receive the same amount of money (we'll admit it: oftentimes even more)."

Advice to Management

Pay better, or be transparent with your employees during the hiring process by telling them up front that you are underpaying them and expect them to work harder.

"Fun laid back culture but extremely poor communication"

I worked at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

Culture is very casual and comfortable

Cons

Upper management is terrible at giving constructive feedback, general poor communication throughout the office, disorganized. Very passive aggressive culture

"Client Services"

I have been working at NGP VAN full-time

Pros

free beer, good people, a lot of upward mobility

Cons

some departments can be clique-y, overall not much to complain about