NIC Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
NIC Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Harry H. Herington
Harry H. Herington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, great work/life balance, awesome corporate amenities, leading edge technical competencies (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunities to move up the ladder (in 6 reviews)

• If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work (in 5 reviews)

"Engineer, Open Source Team"

Current Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NIC is a forward leaning company with great momentum and high potential.

The corporate culture is 'employee-centered' and it is my pleasure to work for NIC.

I loved working for NIC, and recommend the company and its employees.

Cons

None. This is a progressive company with a great future.

Advice to Management

Keep the family feeling which makes NIC a great place to work.
    - Tom Zillig

Jul 25, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience at NIC. We’re pleased to receive your positive response and recommendation. Everyone here at NIC makes up the corporate culture, and we’re proud that our... More

"Development"

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are genuine and friendly. The atmosphere is seriously focused on improving government and citizen interactions, while keeping it as laid back as possible given the work. Management in Development has been some of the best I have ever worked under and our DoD backs us up.
    Mid level management tends to listen, even when they may not have the same PoV, they still take your words into consideration.
    There is great foresight and planning for years in advance, and thought currents may change in political waters, the upper team has guidance plans for navigation.
    We are kept in the know and given opportunity to voice our thought and ask questions once a quarter at all-hands meetings. This is really helpful for building a strong foundation of trust in the team guiding the ship.

Cons

Employees needs and attentions are not generally focused on an employee. While there is training and improvement plans. Everyone is treated to the same actions to "Avoid favoritism". As such, in the past, when certain team members have abused privileges, disciplines were passed down to everyone rather than handing the issue with the select few privilege abusers.

Advice to Management

We are not all the same, we do not all preform the same. Communication should trump co-location, and consideration for an employees family should be taken into consideration when weighing policies. Don't simply treat everyone like the few who abuse privileges. Remember to take on each person's productivity on a case by case basis and build metrics on when they are optimal, so that they may be happier and preform their roles with higher quality and efficiency.

Jul 5, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is great to hear that your work environment is one of trust and open communication. We are glad to know that your experience with NIC includes being engaged in... More

3. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

Nice time and work balance!

Cons

Sometimes it is tough to get projects through with some state partners.

Aug 16, 2017 – Senior Communications Manager

It is great to hear you are experiencing work-life balance. That is a priceless benefit that impacts your health, your relationships, and your attitude towards work. Thank you for your continued... More

4. "Corporate Engineering Resource"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

- Paid insurance benefit, and it's good coverage
    - 40% work remote, if desired
    - Workload includes time budget for personal projects.

Cons

- Split Dev and Ops teams. I would prefer more integration.
    - Slow uptake on new technologies.

Advice to Management

Push for unification of technical resources, look for opportunities to leverage these resources in new ways.

May 16, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for being a valued member of Team NIC! NIC is continuously evaluating technologies, processes, and industry trends to improve our delivery model and employee experience... More

"An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing healthcare benefits
    Management that nurtures my growth and recognizes my potential
    Growing company with opportunities for advancement
    Family oriented and care about adequate PTO to enjoy your family
    Opportunities to continue my education
    Beautiful office building with free snacks and drinks
    Helpful co-workers that fun, professional, and respect diversity

Cons

Road construction never ends on 435 and K-10

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This was a great place when I started about 3 years ago and I feel like it is a rare example of a great thing that continues to find ways to improve. I am glad to be part of the NIC family.

6. "Enjoying my time with NIC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, interesting work, meaningful projects.

Cons

Hours are longer than I'd like sometimes.

May 1, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear your work is both interesting and meaningful, those are highly sought after qualities of a fulfilling job. While we know, resources can be strained at... More

7. "Great place to work, would refer a friend."

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, great benefits, stable, growing and profitable business. Smaller company feel with less "corporate" structure. This means more responsibility on employee for their development, career path and training. I like that active involvement in deciding on training and development opportunities. No cost health insurance, even for family coverage.

Cons

Many offices around the country, opportunities for promotion sometimes require a relocation. Because of the dispersed offices, communication continues to improve, much better than it was in the past.

Advice to Management

It's okay to fail, just fail fast. Don't let yesterday's mistakes be a drag on today or tomorrow.

May 1, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Your tenure has allowed you to see the growth at NIC. We appreciate your view of our culture here and all the advantages of flexibility, great benefits, and a smaller company feel, even while edging... More

"NIC all the way"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with NIC at the Virginia Portal has been a great experience. Seeing so many tenured people on staff is just an example of the success of a company and their environment as a whole. The benefits package you receive cannot be beat. My decision to leave was not due to disappointing factor working here, it was simply a personal decision to move to another state.

Cons

No cons to write about

Advice to Management

Overall was a great experience even during the marketing meeting. Everyone was very friendly and inviting and just a great atmosphere.

9. "NIC is a great place to work"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for.

Great company with a great story
    Focus on work-life balance
    Great benefits
    Loyalty among employees - Many with 15+ years with the company

If you are a thinker and a do-er, you will love NIC.

Cons

With any large(r) company, communition is always a challenge.

Apr 26, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are so glad you enjoy working at NIC! We agree we are always looking for top talent who are thinkers and doers. Thank you for your comments about communication. We’ll continue to look for better... More

10. "NIC does right by its employees"

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am a long time NIC employee, and there is a reason that I have stayed with the company for so many years: they do right by their employees and customers. NIC faces all the same pressures that other companies face: competition, shareholder expectations, etc. But the leadership consistently prioritizes doing right by their employees and customers over profits. That's why they cover full healthcare for employees and dependents, and invest in training. The CEO values a healthy work/life balance and encourages community service, and he models these values.

Cons

Salaries can be on the lower end. Those of us who get more out of the health insurance don't mind that so much, but that can make it hard to compete with other IT companies. NIC has a great culture, but because states are managed independently, you can have very different experiences depending on the leadership and culture in your state. Career opportunities can be limited if you are not interested in moving or management.

Advice to Management

Invest even more in management and leadership training. If you want a more consistent culture across the company, be more deliberate about making that happen.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for highlighting some of the values that differentiate NIC in the workforce. We are pleased to hear you recognize we indeed put employees first. From career laddering to leadership... More