NIC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NIC Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board Harry H. Herington
Harry H. Herington

Pros
  • Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered (in 10 reviews)

• Great atmosphere, great benefits, great company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work (in 5 reviews)

• upper management and project management have little to no software expertise (in 4 reviews)

"Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Marketing in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Madison, WI

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employer paid health insurance, great company community, interesting and challenging projects, free snacks and soda, monthly team lunch and birthday celebrations

Cons

When I started at NIC I had the opportunity to go to a company wide conference and meet other employees in other states. I felt blessed to be apart of the community and make those connections. Because of those connections, I was given interesting projects to work on, some in other states. The CEO would always tell those that attended the conference that he wanted to meet them personally. NIC has grown over the last few years and this attitude towards employees has changed. NIC has threatened to take away the conference because of the lack of value, high price tag and “too many people were showing up.” By doing this they have taken away a huge networking tool for the company.

The quality of the projects are not always great, nor does NIC assign talented individuals that have the background to do the best work. If you look at any IOS or Android App in either one of those stores that NIC has developed the ratings are terrible. There are a few exceptions of course, but NIC does not invest in hiring the best or promoting the best results.

There are several projects that I worked on that have just been shoved out the door that are definitely not the best work. Poor project management, development, quality assurance and design are at fault. Management does not seem to care about these results and is checked out during the development process.

Freedom and trust was missing from our Wisconsin portal. Early on employees had the ability to choose their own schedule, work from home occasionally, and also had time to do professional continuing training on the side of their workload. All of that is gone with a strict 8am-5pm schedule. No exceptions. Management needs to realize that individuals need this freedom and it is invading their family and personal time.

Requests for supplies, conferences and time off are usually ignored or not approved. You will usually have to email your supervisor several times to finally get an answer. Or you’ll just give up and live with what you have.

If you work there for under 3 years the vacation and personal time you get off is basically nothing, further challenging the personal lives of employees. Project assignments can be stressful and combine that with no/little time off employees are miserable. There is one bank for grievance time and sick pay, no additional days for that time that is needed when losing a family member, sick kids, etc. If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work. Some projects require weekends and nights - no comp time is given for this time making some weeks well over 40 hours. This extra time is also not acknowledged by management or appreciated.

Pay is well below average, yearly raises are very small no matter how much extra work and responsibilities you take on. Little to no opportunities to move up the ladder.

Because good work isn’t rewarded employees do not work to their full potential, and even slack off 90% of the day. There are some absolutely toxic people in the office that NIC has not let go even though they are fully aware of those employees and how they act towards others and their teams.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and trusting to employees, offer a flexible schedule, respect personal time, answer your emails, be more compassionate, promote employees, make them feel respected and appreciated

"lack of communications"

I worked at NIC full-time

Pros

great environment with fellow employees

Cons

horrible communications from management team

Feb 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

One of our founding principles is to be the best place employees have ever worked, so I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the work environment at NIC. We have recently developed new training and ... More

"Depends on State"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice office location, free parking, mostly good life balance. Snacks. The compnay has lots of opportunities for promotions if you are willing to move.

Cons

Everything depends on the portal you're at. The portal I worked at started rapidly deteriorating due to inexperienced leadership who don't coordinate with (or apparently even talk to) each other. While the company promotes from within, new leaders don't seem to get training or mentoring, so they tend to just go on doing the jobs that got them promoted instead of their new responsibilities. THe portal was becoming one where people don't even bother to ask management to do or handle anything because they never respond. Disappointing after a month or two.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to how employees at ground level feel, hire more minorities and women esp to executive level, and when you promote people help them to grow into their new roles. Pay better to keep good people

Feb 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Maintaining a strong company culture and providing career development are important to us, which is why we often promote from within. We provide mentoring and training to ... More

"NIC does wellness well!"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

I have been sharing my work experience with friends and family and they keep saying, “I want to work there!” “Do they have any openings?” There are more than a few reasons they are envious. Let’s start with my work environment, it is super awesome, modern furnishings, great work spaces, awesome break room, free food and drink, ping pong, pool, a game table that is occupied every day with some serious gamers and even a new golf simulator. Our building is all glass and it resides in the woods, so I feel like I work in a treehouse. The landscaping is beautiful, there is a pond a few steps out the back door and seating to hang out and daydream, imagine, or collaborate with your peeps.
    I have medical and dental benefits that are paid for 100%. That benefit adds about 20K to my total compensation. I have a 401(K) that is matched 50% up to 10%. I have a membership to a first class gym near work and I pay less than the price of dinner for my monthly membership. I have wellness initiatives that are available to stay challenged. All of this because the culture here at NIC is to be well. If you are well, you will be more effective at your job. I get that.

The culture here is unique. We all have our distinctive skills that we bring in each day and we are able to use them to make a true impact. There is no micro-managing, there is challenge and innovation, and collaboration. There are no reports due that are never read and the parking lot is a ghost town by 5:30. Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered – wellness!

80% of my decision to take a job is about the employees. After all, you are stuck with these people 8 hours a day, right? My work group is very talented, hard-working and they are a cohesive team that can also play together when it is time.

Social justice is also very important to me and the culture at NIC is to set aside time to make the lives of others better. There are several opportunities to engage in those types of activities and a huge variety available.

Paid time off is not split into sick and vacation; so, those that are well, have more time to refuel! Do you see a thread here?

Cons

Sometimes I miss out on the delivery of the bananas in the kitchen. Apparently, techies dig potassium.

Advice to Management

Your commitment to work-life balance is awesome. I am appreciative of all the efforts you put in place to keep us engaged and well taken care of; they make getting up for work easy!

Feb 2, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

I’m glad to hear that you are happy at NIC. One of our founding principles is to be the best place employees have ever worked, and we truly believe that if our employees are happy, they will produce ... More

"Needs improvment from management"

Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer
    Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer

I worked at NIC full-time

Pros

Full medical however, you have to pay full deducible up front. Tech Conference is quite nice, no outside vendors, only the smartest employees giving talks about new tech and trends.

Cons

No accountability is required so you question why you'd put in any more effort than is needed. On call is awful, most weeks there are over 80 pages, a lot of false positives.

Advice to Management

Shelter your employees from other department's requests. How can you call a deployment an emergency when they are all emergencies and come in at the last minute?

Jan 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you appreciated the benefits we offer. We’ve looked into the matter you raised, and we are pleased to report the team has made significant process ... More

"atmosphere"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

Pros

Good company for fresher and intern easy to enter

Cons

Good atmosphere good people and good guide

"Plan to retire from here..."

Pros

100% paid medical and dental for employee and dependents.
    Holiday bonus program.
    Employee stock purchase program.
    Great 401k match.
    Flexible time off.
    Always busy, never bored.

Cons

Must be willing to be nimble and quickly change focus.
    At times, workload requires extra hours.
    Customers are very demanding at times.
    Takes someone who isn't afraid to go the extra mile in order to succeed.

"Great place to build a career"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

The people are the best. It is a great group of people that feel like a family while at work. Everyone does their part to make the company successful, and are genuinely interested in working together to make a successful end product.

If you need help and are willing to ask for it, there are a lot of people that are happy to help educate and show you the ropes. I have always felt that if I work hard and prove my value to the company that I will be successful, and so far that has been the case for me.

The benefits are top notch. The company pays for my family coverage for medical and dental insurance, and the vision is pretty inexpensive.

In our office, the atmosphere is pretty laid back, and we have free drinks and snacks.

Even though the company overall is pretty large, with the way portals are set up, it has always felt like a smaller company feel with the benefits of a larger company.

This is the best company I have ever worked for, and compared to other companies I have looked at over the years, there isn't another one that I have found that compares. I feel like I have purpose here and that the work we do matters to the citizens and makes working with the government a little easier to do and understand.

Cons

Depending on the size of the portal you work for, a lot of times you have to be open to relocation to get into top management. This hasn't bothered me because I have always been able to work with my manager to be promoted within my area by taking on additional responsibility or learning new skills, but I know it has bothered some people.

Advice to Management

Offer a technical career path for people that don't want to move up into management that can be done remotely from any portal.

"Headed off a cliff!"

I worked at NIC full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great history, want to provide for the employees

Cons

Aimless strategy, very us and them management, VERY HIGH turnover, unfortunately all the dirty laundry is told after you take the job.

Advice to Management

Leadership, find it.

11. "Best Company, Should Join, My thumbs up"

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Awesome Work Environment, you can never find like that

Cons

Old Technologies
    Othe wise there is nothing