NIC Reviews | Glassdoor

NIC Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, great work/life balance, awesome corporate amenities, leading edge technical competencies (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunities to move up the ladder (in 6 reviews)

• If you take a position at NIC your work-life balance is 100% work (in 5 reviews)

1. "Enjoying my time with NIC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, interesting work, meaningful projects.

Cons

Hours are longer than I'd like sometimes.

May 1, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear your work is both interesting and meaningful, those are highly sought after qualities of a fulfilling job. While we know, resources can be strained at... More

2. "Great place to work, would refer a friend."

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, great benefits, stable, growing and profitable business. Smaller company feel with less "corporate" structure. This means more responsibility on employee for their development, career path and training. I like that active involvement in deciding on training and development opportunities. No cost health insurance, even for family coverage.

Cons

Many offices around the country, opportunities for promotion sometimes require a relocation. Because of the dispersed offices, communication continues to improve, much better than it was in the past.

Advice to Management

It's okay to fail, just fail fast. Don't let yesterday's mistakes be a drag on today or tomorrow.

May 1, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Your tenure has allowed you to see the growth at NIC. We appreciate your view of our culture here and all the advantages of flexibility, great benefits, and a smaller company feel, even while edging... More

"NIC all the way"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with NIC at the Virginia Portal has been a great experience. Seeing so many tenured people on staff is just an example of the success of a company and their environment as a whole. The benefits package you receive cannot be beat. My decision to leave was not due to disappointing factor working here, it was simply a personal decision to move to another state.

Cons

No cons to write about

Advice to Management

Overall was a great experience even during the marketing meeting. Everyone was very friendly and inviting and just a great atmosphere.

4. "NIC is a great place to work"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for.

Great company with a great story
    Focus on work-life balance
    Great benefits
    Loyalty among employees - Many with 15+ years with the company

If you are a thinker and a do-er, you will love NIC.

Cons

With any large(r) company, communition is always a challenge.

Apr 26, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are so glad you enjoy working at NIC! We agree we are always looking for top talent who are thinkers and doers. Thank you for your comments about communication. We’ll continue to look for better... More

"Best Job I've Had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

I'm a professional. Been in the business awhile and have seen my fair share of poorly run companies. NIC is not one of those. They are mostly well managed, stay ahead of the game, aren't trying to do everything all at once, they genuinely care about their employees, decent pay, great work/life balance, and the applications we build are actually useful to the masses.

Cons

Little to no advancement opportunities. My manager's expectation is that everyone on the team should be doing everyone's job. So if a developer is out, QA should be able to do development. Or if QA is behind, then everyone should pitch in to help out. In theory it is a great idea but it also means that you will NEVER exceed expectations. So if you fill in for 3 roles for an extended period of time, you just meet expectations when it comes time for reviews. Also, company in the past has offered certification training but has not offered it in recent years.

Advice to Management

Offer more cross role/service training. For the young people that want to try something new, give them the opportunity. You may hire someone as a UX designer but after years of working on that, they may want to switch over to a BA. This will keep the younger generation interested in staying longer and will build up their experience/knowledge in other departments.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are glad to hear you enjoy being a part of the NIC family. As our CEO says, we are truly a place where you can make a difference in people’s lives. It sounds like you are on a dedicated team that... More

6. "NIC does right by its employees"

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am a long time NIC employee, and there is a reason that I have stayed with the company for so many years: they do right by their employees and customers. NIC faces all the same pressures that other companies face: competition, shareholder expectations, etc. But the leadership consistently prioritizes doing right by their employees and customers over profits. That's why they cover full healthcare for employees and dependents, and invest in training. The CEO values a healthy work/life balance and encourages community service, and he models these values.

Cons

Salaries can be on the lower end. Those of us who get more out of the health insurance don't mind that so much, but that can make it hard to compete with other IT companies. NIC has a great culture, but because states are managed independently, you can have very different experiences depending on the leadership and culture in your state. Career opportunities can be limited if you are not interested in moving or management.

Advice to Management

Invest even more in management and leadership training. If you want a more consistent culture across the company, be more deliberate about making that happen.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for highlighting some of the values that differentiate NIC in the workforce. We are pleased to hear you recognize we indeed put employees first. From career laddering to leadership... More

7. "16 years says it all"

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, people, environment, management and location

Cons

We need a few more employees as we are going through a major growth spurt

Advice to Management

The corporate office needs to go out to the portals to see how each state works with their unique partner. We do not all fit in the same size box that corporate dictates.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! One of our founding principles is to be the best place employees have ever worked, and we are pleased to hear you are enjoying many aspects of being a part of the NIC... More

8. "Incredible culture and great leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great work/life balance, awesome corporate amenities, leading edge technical competencies.

Cons

Long drive from the east side of Town

Apr 16, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is encouraging to know that all the things you have highlighted make a difference in your work experience at NIC. The benefit premiums being paid for by the... More

9. "Solid on Tech, Great People"

I have been working at NIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite part about working here is the people. This is the most pleasant work atmosphere I've ever had in my 20+ year career. People are professional, knowledgeable, and caring. I wish I found this company earlier. These are the smartest and kindest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Many of us solve the same problems in different ways and it would be great to have more opportunities to learn from each other's missteps.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive and inclusive culture.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is awesome to hear about your great experiences with your coworkers at NIC. We agree that collaboration when problem-solving is a benefit to everyone. Slack is... More

"It's a job"

I have been working at NIC full-time

Pros

Great medical, coworkers are great, upper management seems to care. Experience depends a lot on what portal you're in.

Cons

Same problems you'd get anywhere that puts marketting above development -- technical debt, backlogs of maintenance on legacy systems, constantly pushing for the next buzzword (leaving more tech debt).

Claims to promote from within but I've seen no evidence of that, there are unfilled management jobs and qualified employees not getting them, nor is there any mentoring or coaching on why the employees are not being considered or how they could improve.

Extreme overuse of marketing-speak, and treating all employees as if they were sales people. Most communication is from business side to business side -- tech is mostly ignored.

Obvious favoritism among management, and obviously sexist GMs. People in "red state" portals beware.

Advice to Management

Watch out for good-old-boy culture among portal leadership. It'll bite you in the end.

Apr 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

It is good to hear you enjoy your coworkers and appreciate our health benefits. There are seven core values that guide our business: innovation, passion, family, community, responsibility, trust, and... More