NICE inContact Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
NICE inContact President, CEO, and Director Paul Jarman
Paul Jarman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company cares about employees (HR feedback has been taken seriously and resulted in company changes) as well a great atmosphere with great people (in 27 reviews)

• They're very flexible with remote working too - I work from home two days a week and there are some teams that work 3 (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the upper management tends to be much more reactionary than proactive which leads to issues with capacity planning, and future proofing (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance isn't great, but impossible to find a sales job that is (in 6 reviews)

1. "Severely disappointed"

Current Employee - Implementation in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Implementation in Sandy, UT

I have been working at NICE inContact (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing Colleagues
    - Someone is always willing to help
    - Very nice building with a lot of perks

Cons

- Management gives in to any and all demands, no matter if they're correct or not
    - In most cases, required to work 60 + hours a week
    - Pay vs. work load
    - Severely understaffed in Services Dept.
    - Senior Management is unapproachable

Advice to Management

Management needs to stand behind their employees benefits and compensation need to increase, TREMENDOUSLY

"Only the top 10% matter"

I have been working at NICE inContact full-time

Pros

With respect to the Con, what Pro matters?

Cons

I applied for and accepted a position at this company based on the positive reviews of the many. Now that an Israeli company has purchased inContact, much of the positive review has been erased. The purchasing company, NICE, has a policy to only consider the top 10% of performers for merit increases/cost of living raises. When management informs 90% of their employees they won't be considered for a raise, they should expect turnover to skyrocket.

Advice to Management

Work toward reinstating merit increases/cost of living raises for everyone that deserves them before you lose more employees. With respect to inflation, you're effectively reducing 90% of your employee's pay every year.

Oct 10, 2017 – NICE inContact Team

While it is true that NICE is a pay for performance company (like most companies), it is factually inaccurate that only the top 10% matter or get a pay increase. Pay differentiation does mean that... More

"WAS a nice place to work...."

Former Employee - Grunt in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Grunt in Sandy, UT

I worked at NICE inContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent benefits.... but you can't carry unused vacation over. Use it or loose it!

Cons

no growth potential.... PERIOD, unless you are in sales.

Advice to Management

loved my job and the people I worked with (peers) even most of the management I worked with but employees are not treated with respect ..... they are an asset the company uses at its discretion. As many have said though, you get in the right group as a favorite, you have it made and are treated well (paid vacations, promotions, special considerations, etc.)

Sep 5, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback. Historically, our organization averages between 13%-15% in internal promotion and movement each year. Last year we were closer to 18% of the org receiving a promotion and... More

"A great place to work, at one time."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sandy, UT

I have been working at NICE inContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coke freestyle machine. Some really good people work there.

Cons

Since the acquisition by Nice, things have changed considerably. Good people left or were pushed out, and as all the tribal knowledge leaves, positions are rarely even backfilled. Workload is shifted onto those who stay, the excuse is the workload will be picked up by the overseas workers... just as soon as you train them on the platform and their duties, while you work twice as hard on the extra work. All new development is being shipped overseas. Career development and advancement are important principals for the company right up until the time comes due to offer a raise or promotion. Cronyism is a problem, especially in the services department. Have fun watching the same 20 people go on the yearly "Champions Club" trip or cruise. It's not for you, unless you fall into the right clique. InContact used to be a great place to work. Sadly, those days are over.

Advice to Management

I realize the demand for profitability is being driven by Nice. I feel for the management, trying to satisfy the parent company and the employees who are left is an unenviable task. I wouldn't know what to do in their place, so I don't have any advice here. I guess hold on tight while the remainder of the qualified people leave, then do your best with what's left. On a bright note, Paul Jarman is a fine human being and one of the best CEOs I have ever known.

Aug 28, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Change can be intimidating and we've definitely been going through change. While change may be perceived negatively, it doesn't mean the change is negative. We continue to lead the market in our... More

"Some good, a lot bad, your decision to make"

I have been working at NICE inContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company of hard workers, regardless of the department. If you get hired, know that you're joining a solid team.

If you're a sales-person you have a chance to do very well financially as inContact is a leader in this space. Don't mistake this for easy money, you still have to work for it.

inContact is a leader in the space and will continue to lead for the foreseeable future. For this reason the company wins and continues to grow.

Cons

An open door policy by HR & Management is worthless if you don't proactively ask for feedback. Annual surveys are loaded to get the answers you want, not the answers you need. Plus, the people offering real insight will be dismissed as a one off anomaly rather than being the bold one uncovering a problem.

Implementation, project management, sales engineering, and developer roles can be daunting. Ask to interview people to get their take on working for your potential manager.

Sales engineering - Since the previous director left in 2016, this group has gradually been driven into the ground. Our parent company has a different SE for each major product line (~6) and yet our SE's are tasked with being an expert on every product line we have and every new product that gets added on(8+). This results in lost add-on sales revenue even when the core deal is won. They work hard to know everything possible, but they simply can't.

If you try to leave to a partner, inContact will tell them inContact employees are off limits. As a partner, they'll honor that, even retracting offers that have been made and accepted.

If you leave to a competitor, you'll start receiving letters threatening to sue you followed by letters threatening to sue you over other people going to the same competitor. They probably don't have any teeth, but it says a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

If you block people going to partners, they're just going to go to competitors. Which would you prefer?

Invest in management training for anyone that manages. How to manage, how to be an effective leader, HR, etc. This should be an on going effort. "The beatings will continue until morale improves" isn't an effective management methodology.

Time to take a hard look at the leadership that "grew up" in the company.

Aug 28, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We agree with you that inContact has a solid team of people and hard workers! While we want all employee's to have a great experience here, it may take another try at our open door policy on where... More

"Worst, most dishonest company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at NICE inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, cool industry, some really great people (most have left at this point)

Cons

Highly toxic work environment, felt abused on the daily. Not honest, my leader pressured my team to skew information so it looked better to board members and improved their personal metrics as a boss. When I tried to speak up and get help for my team, I was penalized.

Advice to Management

If I hadn't gone to you for assistance, I'd say you had a few bad apples to throw out. But because I did and you attacked me and my team, the victims instead, you are complicit. My advice? Stop pretending to be good and address your systemic issues. And, I'd also remind you that investors like to invest in strong, honest companies with real values and engaged employees because they are more likely to succeed. I wouldn't touch inContact with a 10 foot pole.

"The worst place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Sandy, UT

I worked at NICE inContact (More than a year)

Pros

Always have activities to do. Co-workers are cool and always looking for new opportunities.

Cons

Management is the worst they need to learn how to talk to people like adults and not be so childish. Make the job match the job description.

Advice to Management

Grow-up

"HR responses are a joke"

I worked at NICE inContact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A strong sense of camaraderie with your fellow workers through mutual trauma

Cons

The responses by HR here are such a joke, I finally had to add my own review. HR likes to say the company has been "rich with change". That perfectly sums up one of the biggest problems at inContact. The Sr. management and HR like to delude themselves with this idea, when in fact, nothing has changed about the company culture and practices in the past decade, AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM! The company never shed its nepotistic, 'do what I say, not what I do' attitude from before the IPO. Pat yourselves on the back for your 'industry setting' growth, when it was never meant to be sustainable. The plan was always to con the investors and shareholders long enough to inflate the company's value in the market to sell right before the bubble burst. This was all done at the expense of employees that so desperately wanted to believe in it. If you want to promote your growth, why don't you also give us some numbers on your turnover rates? Because you were sure concerned about that prior to the acquisition. But again, nothing was done to address the core issue of incompetent management, they just tried to fluff up the edges to have a story to sell to their employees about how the culture is 'changing' to be more transparent and inclusive. Good for you to solicit enough 5 star reviews of no substance to keep barely above that 3 star overall level though. Surprised there are still people out there that believe the lies.

Advice to Management

NICE - just pay out the executives you need to in order to get the cancer out. We know you are scrambling to figure out how to save this business as their competitors are eating your lunch. Ripping the bandage off is the best way to go. The employees can handle it as they have already been surfing with a lack of management for years.

"Lame, Lame, Lame"

Former Employee - Cool in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Cool in Sandy, UT

I worked at NICE inContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid, new office space, good coworkers -- the normal stuff

Cons

Very weak management, not a leader among them. They need a CFO that understands numbers and business.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees ... especially in what you think are tricky ways!

"Every day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my career."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sandy, UT

I worked at NICE inContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Free soda.

* "Work from home" on Wednesdays. Office life too much for you? Have non-work things to do around the house? Work from home!

* Stick around long enough and you'll be promoted. Promotions and raises seem to be primarily based on tenure and the company seems desperate for people, so just do the bare minimum and get paid, it's what most people do.

* Near impossible to be let go. And if you finally are let go, you'll get a large severance package and probably be brought back on as a consultant a couple months later.

Cons

* Engineering is like a war zone. People are leaving left and right. "We are so screwed" is the constant mantra.

* Development is maybe being shipped off to India? It's hard to know exactly, because the facts seem to change daily. Management told us that our project is safe and will continue to be developed in-house. They told us a couple days later that our project would be handled in Pune but we would supervise it. Now it is back to us working on it. Another team's main project was just recently put on hold indefinitely.

* Everything is top priority. Off the top of my head I can think of at least four very large initiatives that are all priority one for this quarter. Oh and now we also have to somehow put those aside and work on some top priority integrations with our new parent company. The deadlines never change, more features just keep being added.

* Upper management either doesn't listen or doesn't care. We were told that our focus for this quarter/release would be one large feature, "A". Engineering clarified to make sure that "A" really meant "A" and we were assured by management that this was the case. Half-way into the development cycle, we suddenly find out that "A" really means "A, B, and C," each of which could easily take up an entire development cycle. Management assures us that this was always the case and obviously this is what they meant by "A" the entire time. We suddenly have triple the work with the same fixed deadlines and a strongly suggested to work nights and weekends to get the work done because it's what we have agreed to.

* Management suddenly decided that engineering needs to demo a large new feature to our parent company in one month. This feature has never even been on our radar; we've been too busy working on "A, B, and C" above. Product assures us that we can control what we will demo. Days later, product decides for us what it is that we will demo. We are told "this date was agreed upon by your managers six months ago."

* Bugs are out of control. As you can imagine, adding more work with fixed deadlines and resources means rushing through development with lots of bugs. This also leads into a lack of ownership across products and internal projects. With everyone rushing and the bug count rising, nobody wants to admit ownership to anything. Every bug belongs to some other team because our team already has too many bugs to deal with.

* QA cares solely about meeting their numbers. Ideally, this would mean that they would be motivated to find bugs and write proper test cases. In practice, it means that people on QA write as many bugs as they can, duplicates abound. It also means that they write test cases that test literally nothing. As long as the test "passes," it counts, so there are many "green circle" tests that provide zero value.

* The building is well beyond capacity less than a year after being built. It was beyond capacity six months ago even. We were told that we would gain access to the second tower once construction finished there. After we were acquired, we learned that we would not be moving into the second tower. Some teams' desks were moved into break areas due to the lack of space.

Advice to Management

I know that management reads these reviews, but I honestly don't think that there are any useful takeaways for management here. We hear that we "need to fix these negative reviews" but it's always just lip service. Upper management either doesn't listen, doesn't care, or is just incompetent. They'll send out another survey asking how they can improve and then cherry-pick the simplest or cheapest things and tell us it's what we wanted.

The biggest problem, in my perhaps naive view, is Paul Jarman.

It feels like Paul goes out selling and promising myriad features to customers without ever consulting any of the people that will actually have to build these features. That, and he has some seriously tight goals to make for his golden parachute clauses with our parent company, because he's doing his very best to burn down the company as long as he can demo things to customers and Nice.

But it's his company so there's really no way that problem will ever be solved. At least until his golden parachute clause ends in a few years and he leaves on his own.

The other major problem is the gross incompetence in upper management. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in gift cards given out by managers, being used to supplement income because of bad raises, and without the CFO even knowing? You're better off finding an entirely new executive team altogether. But again, all of the people in power positions have golden parachute clauses with the parent company, so they're only concerned about themselves.