NICTA "flexible working" Reviews | Glassdoor

NICTA Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated Jan 10, 2016

4.0
Pros
  • "Good working environment, nice facilities and different kinds of guidance towards career development(in 6 reviews)

• "A mix of smart, hard working people, and a relaxed flexible working environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "A majority of business teams are led by managers who would not be hired for a similar role in the industry(in 3 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Summer Scholar"

Summer Research Intern in Sydney

I have been working at NICTA for less than a year

Pros

Amazing group of people with an open mind to share their knowledge. Flexible work hours with work from home facility.

Cons

No cons...a great institution to learn :)

NICTA2016-01-11
  2. "Lack of vision and ambition"

Former Contractor - Researcher in Melbourne

I worked at NICTA for more than 3 years

Pros

As a researcher you get to work with world-class scientists who lead the development of their field. Very smart colleagues from an international background. Flexible working hours, free coffee, nice offices in Sydney and Canberra

Cons

As a researcher, you have to work with business teams that lack vision and ambition. Researchers are asked to do most of the tech transfer from research to industry, which can be exciting, but is not recognized, and often leads to nowhere. The organization is not willing to take risks to engage in major projects. Instead, it chases small engineering projects. Little is done to get the latest products of research out of the door, which may be linked to the lack of deep understanding of the research areas by the business staff. Career opportunities are limited and officially based on matching criteria, not actual skills. Internal communication is poor to non-existent. Major announcements are made at the last minute, while "we will tell you in a month" is the answer to all future-related questions. Poorly located and furnished Melbourne office.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, believe in researchers, hire business developers that match the level of researchers and have a performance based remuneration, focus on a few big impact projects, and stop believing that NICTA can magically have a startup-like culture.

NICTA2015-09-07
  3. "Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at NICTA

Pros

Easy and flexible work environment

Cons

Sometimes felt like I wasn't being pushed enough Tasks set too easy but I guess this changes based on supervisor

Advice to Management

Stronger expectations and requirements off supervisors and scholars

NICTA2015-06-18
  4. "Good place to do good research and work with great people"

PhD Student in Sydney

I have been working at NICTA

Pros

Full of lots of really smart people who can help you with your research. The problems they are tackling are interesting and the work you do is actually used by people outside of NICTA. Good working environment with decent pay and very flexible working hours.

Cons

Research can always be hard, and life can get very stressful around paper and deliverable deadlines. Sometimes has a bit of a not-invented-here syndrome at times.

NICTA2014-09-24
  5. "Science powerhouse if they survive"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Sydney

I worked at NICTA full-time for more than a year

Pros

produce great science flexible work place location and facilities

Cons

big funding problem business teams IP and legals

NICTA2014-08-14
  6. "I worked in a small research group for 2 years, on interesting but ultimately unprofitable ideas."

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Sydney

I worked at NICTA full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A mix of smart, hard working people, and a relaxed flexible working environment. - By working alongside professors and phd candidates, I felt I got a lot of exposure to the academic world, which would have been difficult without doing a phd.

Cons

-The company is made up of many small research groups, which often don't share the same culture, work ethic or collaborate together.

Advice to Management

The company's mission statement and values don't match how individual groups operate. Either drop the premise or fix the culture at the grass roots level.

NICTA2013-12-10