NIKE Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 20, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can gets skewed if not careful (in 85 reviews)

• Hard to move up if you are not included in the social circle (in 47 reviews)

1. "Nike is full of it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at NIKE (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started I believed everything they said and was looking forward to moving up within the store

Cons

Nike racial profiles their consumers, as well as they are very racist and all the good they say in the interview is lies. They embezzled my volunteer money and gave it to the charity of their choice and not mine.

Advice to Management

They all need classes on employee relations and the manager profile just as much as the employees

"Nike CIS Totally Sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have summer hours, where you get to leave at Noon on Friday

Cons

In NIke CIS, you get to prove how macho you are by staying up all night with a phone glued to your ear, waiting for someone to say or do something that will actually change the situation. You lose points for falling asleep. During normal working hours when there is a security incident, you get to prove how engaged you are by hovering around one guys desk an saying something that sounds like it might be relevant. When incidents are done there is a frantic search to find someone to throw under the bus. Management likes to show how wonderful how they are by showing up for regular work hours even after staying up all night.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself, find someone else who knows how to lead by inspiration instead of scowling.

3. "Not For Adults !"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doral, FL

I worked at NIKE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount
    Great Customers
    Mall
    Hour Lunch Breaks

Cons

Management
    Childish Team
    Unorganized schedules

Advice to Management

Treat employees with experience better

"Don't Do IT."

Current Employee - Director in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nike has many things going for it, especially in the Portland area where they are headquarters (beaverton). I am sure many of the teams are very good.

Cons

Technology. Nike IT is a political animal, you must be 'in the clique' or you will not find it to be a place to build a career. The IT team rarely hires FTEs instead they are pretty much outsourced, and its next to impossible to convert to FTE.

Advice to Management

Be less political, care about people more, stop the incessant hiring and firing

5. "Trash"

Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Nike Athlete in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at NIKE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on product. Co workers are usually pretty cool for the most part , management sucks and they don't really care about consumers

Cons

Everything else, you're very expendable, leaders don't care about you or your success unless you're kissing up to them, Nike will steal your ideas

Advice to Management

Tighten up

"CIS"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Second chance for that college experience! Overall great company! Great discounts and work/life balance. Nike culture and maxims are amazing in theory!

Cons

WORSE leadership I have ever experienced in my 20+ years in IT. They pride themselves on being "Nike Nice" which translates to being passive aggressive and dishonest. It started off as a program with great potential and then a turn for the worse when the CIO and CISO left and left us with lack of leadership and no direction. It is an extremely toxic environment that will suck the life out of you slowly. Over 50 individuals have left from key roles and not allowed to backfill instead we are outsourcing more and more! Not a real security program. Good group to hang out in a do nothing!

Advice to Management

Be a Sponge! Why has 50+ people left in the last year? Why doesn't anybody get a exit interview? Listen to your people. Brew Crew does not solve all problems in fact it seems to have led to quite a few all on its own!

7. "Not the best fit - Overrated"

Former Contractor - Anonymous in Beaverton, OR
    Former Contractor - Anonymous in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pro's were meeting some cool people, but this didn't happen very often.

Cons

Where do I begin. If you want to work with a company where people don't work, this is the place. People represent themselves in there Nike gear and work maybe 3 hours a day and then mess around the rest of the day. They get to work when they want to, show up to the office when they want to, it's pretty pathetic. I had the most miserable experience working at this place and did everything I could for them to break my contract, which they finally did. I'm ecstatic I don't work for this company anymore, as their culture and overall environment is the definition of being a lazy worker.

Advice to Management

None. I could care less about their management.

"Corporate Information Security (CIS)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Corporate leadership (non-technology/security) are very high quality and have a vision for the company.
    - The traditional NIKE culture made some parts of working there a lot of fun.
    - Chance to work with several outstanding technology and security professionals.

Cons

Similar to other reviews on this site, Nike’s cybersecurity program is an unfortunate train wreck and it is best to avoid it. The CIS leadership had a multi-year plan to mature the security program and they squandered it through a combination of mismanagement and old fashioned incompetence, where form is more important than function.

For example, most companies build out processes for how technology will be used, but in CIS it is opposite - technology is purchased without a viable plan for how it will be used. CIS leadership squandered an amazing opportunity to build a top-notch cybersecurity program through bad management hires, political infighting, and a complete lack of any actionable plan to mature the program (beyond a shopping list of technologies they wanted to buy). Instead of maturing the existing processes and getting the new technology working, more tools were purchased... this added to frustrated engineers and analysts, since the CIS leadership focused on checking off boxes on their shopping list of new technologies and not on how the technology was actually being used. This was not always the case, but more often than not the rollouts did not focus on operationalizing the tools beyond go live. This is simply due to poor management and a lack of accountability for making bad operational decisions. It should be no surprise that this is what happens when you hire non-technical people into technology leadership roles.

Most disheartening was seeing how the NIKE Maxims were quoted repeatedly as guiding principles within CIS. However, in reality, the CIS leadership team ran in complete opposition – everything was lip service to doing the right thing. On the corporate side, everyone is expected to welcome new or challenging ideas, quickly evolving to new realities, and treat people with respect. Within CIS, the focus is to maintain the status quo and not to rock the boat. If you step out of line, you are listed as a trouble maker by the CIS leadership team.

Such a waste. Only take a job there if you want to drink the Kool-Aid and wish to remain blissfully ignorant to following sound security practices.

Advice to Management

- Fire the CIS leadership team. Do a complete housecleaning at both the senior director and director levels.
    - Move CIS outside of the IT department to add independence.

"Senior"

Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some real good friends. Completely relaxed dress code.

Cons

Where do I start...
    Worst office politics I have ever seen in my 20+ year career.
    Worst management I have ever had
    Played favorites. Took care of their friends. Bent rules to promote friends. Micro-management. Incompetent people promoted and overpaid because they had the hook-up or because they were LGBT. I can't even begin to tell you how bad this environment is in the CIS department. STAY AWAY FROM CIS. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Fire CISO and all his Master Card cronies would be a start.

10. "If possible Never Work for Nike"

Former Contractor - Big Data Architect/Developer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Contractor - Big Data Architect/Developer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nike Employee Pass
    Occasional Team Parties

Cons

Newer work for Nike as a contractor, it is a miserable life.

There are only 2 types of people in Nike
           - Employee who make contractors life miserable
           - & Contractors who feel miserable all the time

Advice to Management

Too many Directors, interacted with many during my tenure, didn't meet a single Director who had a vision or the experience, my advice to the company - get rid of half of the Directors in your company and it will still run.. Keep only the few strategists who are exceptionally good..

Showing 105 of 3,000 reviews