NIKE Reviews | Glassdoor

NIKE Reviews

Updated October 19, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can gets skewed if not careful (in 88 reviews)

• Hard to move up if you are not included in the social circle (in 48 reviews)

1. "Focus on what really matters"

I worked at NIKE full-time

Pros

Companies are made up of people. Still lots of great people at Nike. Incredible campus and benefits. Great potential if they can get out of their own way.

Cons

Too much focus on strategy Power Point decks without a corresponding focus on implementation of strategy. Who is running the show? The merchants? The Planners? The Supply Chain? How many more $100m+ projects that do not deliver on their promise until you realized that nothing happens until you sell something? The overemphasis on consultant influence coincided with the fall in business. Nike is a great company but they have lost their way.

Advice to Management

A little humility goes a long way. Company is getting it's tail kicked and the answer is not to hire more consultant skill sets/profiles. Listed to your customers...you have been ignoring them for years. Your answer is in being able to execute the basics.....not the next 20 slide PPT. Lots of story telling but too little successful endings.

2. "Management"

Former Employee - PCO in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - PCO in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discountat the nike store outlet

Cons

management, supervisor doesn't care with thier team members

Advice to Management

Give more concern to employee

3. "Perks"

I worked at NIKE part-time

Pros

Employee discount is nice, great access to shoes

Cons

Most customers destroy the store and keeping things organized is a nightmare

4. "Nike is a fun place to work"

Former Employee - Nike Sales Associate in Shannon Hills, AR
    Former Employee - Nike Sales Associate in Shannon Hills, AR

I worked at NIKE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to information about new releases
    Great Discounts
    Fun environment
    Able to voice your opinion in meetings
    Team outings for team building

Cons

Bad management
    Favoritism in promoting
    Lack of flexibility
    They tend to hire just anybody to stay diverse but usually results in lazy workers

5. "Okay job for young people"

Current Employee - Operations (S&R) in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations (S&R) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NIKE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 40% discount that even family members can use. The product is great. Free coffee. People there are fun to work with.

Cons

Tedious work, management can sure use more training, coverage is tight where a lot of work can be placed on one individual for x amount of days.

Advice to Management

Better hiring process. Don’t just hire anybody. Manage schedule better so workload doesn’t overwhelm an individual.

6. "Good discount, Poor management"

I have been working at NIKE part-time

Pros

The only pro I had while I was there was the nice discount.

Cons

Back of house was awful to work in. Always felt understaffed and even when there ended up being enough staff working in back people were always getting pulled to work out on the sales floors, which I understand when it's busy. However, people were always stopped for some reason or another which lead to management becoming upset about new shipments not being processed fast enough. This very well could just be the management at this store though because I have heard good things about other stores.

7. "Just Ok"

I have been working at NIKE full-time

Pros

Healthcare, bonus program, profit sharing, employee store, matching 401K

Cons

Loyalty to employees is pretty low. Lay people off and bring in contractors with no knowledge.

Advice to Management

Make Nike a place to work that offers stability to its employees. It's difficult to find motivation to work for a company when you aren't sure if you will be coming back the next day.

8. "Outlet Store"

I worked at NIKE part-time

Pros

Nice discount and got to learn a lot about the product

Cons

Customers were overly demanding, especially on Black Friday

9. "Retail employee"

I worked at NIKE full-time

Pros

I am going to try my best to be as fair as possible with these pros and cons. However, let me start by making a clear clarification between retail and corporate employees. In my personal opinion they should be in two separate reviewable categories for Nike, because of the extreme difference in appreciation and level of enjoyment for day to day activities.

Here are some of the pros for a retail "athlete":
    Pay higher than average retail
    Tuition assistance for full timers
    Employee discount
    Relatively exciting and innovating product
    Staff dress shoes and apparel twice a year, but if I'm correct this is only discounted at 50%
    Coworkers are for the most part very friendly

Cons

I would say its either A.) a 5-10 year process to break into corporate Nike from retail, or B.) possible for about 1 in every 10,000 Nike employees.
    There is NO help from current corporate employees on how to get in to Nike's corporate side
    Pushy on signing customers up for Nike+
    Stores obviously vary based on customer base, and management but these factors can make every work day miserable
    No team bonding for retail athletes, no appreciation for retail athletes, in all honesty I don't think retail employees are even considered when any corporate decisions are made that effect the retail side

These opinion are of course just mine, but from a retail athlete perspective I can guarantee that I am not the only one who has these opinions.

Advice to Management

Such an exciting brand, but the corporate side is the only side that sees any kind of exposure. You call us athletes, but without a team we're nothing more than free agents. The company is growing at such a fast rate it doesn't seem impossible to ask for more appreciation for the retail side in terms of events, contests, free stuff, etc..
    There is so much talent in your retail stores that you are letting slide through the cracks, employees are hypnotized by clever marketing and discounted product until they wake up they realize that corporate Nike sees them as the lowest points on the totem pole. I really wish there were more chances for these retail athletes to get some exposure with higher ups, because I know I'm not the only one disappointed with the lack of opportunity. I've seen so many talented athletes leave for competitors, or other fields and I'm sure there will be plenty after me. I can only hope that someone in that Beaverton based kingdom takes the time to read this and take what I'm saying to heart. With all the swag boys, and rich rappers that Nike finds key to business, you're losing focus with the people you call athletes. Yet you plaster your walls with maxims about listening to the voice of the athlete, and how athletes are the heart of both the brand and business.

10. "Nice"

I have been working at NIKE full-time

Pros

We have good work security and good benifits packages . They let you have your life and some family time.

Cons

Management has a 1 tracked mind and don’t listen to anyone but themselves.

Advice to Management

Get better at listening to what you’re employees want and work with them to get it

Showing 653 of 3,239 reviews