NORCAL Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Barry Sutherland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best Ambulance Company in the SF Bay Area"

Former Employee - EMT in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - EMT in Dublin, CA

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an entry level EMT, I really appreciated how NORCAL still put a lot of effort into showing that the company cares for its employees as well as its customers. HR and Admin are very welcoming and are a wealth of information regarding required certs, PTO and benefits, and uniform requests. Scheduling was sympathetic to work-life balance. The management had an open door policy that made them very approachable. During my time, there was an environment of comradery, strong work ethic, and striving for improvement.

Cons

The usual with most BLS companies: held over time (infrequent, usually not more than 1 hour over), busy shifts (6-8 calls/8 hr shift), difficulty finding people to cover shifts (rare).

2. "Good Stepping Stone"

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance full-time

Pros

Flexible with school and a good place to cut your teeth in EMS.

Cons

Management and supervisors were unhelpful at times when issues arose and there was the mentality of run as many calls as possible regardless of logistics

3. "EMT-B"

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time

Pros

Great patient care experience
    Flexible working hour

Cons

Could be hard to get a full schedule when first start

"Biller"

Former Employee - Medical Biller in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Biller in Livermore, CA

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The owners seem really nice and personable (at least while your in training) snacks are offered, location is nice, plenty of parking

Cons

Department is awkwardly quiet, except the high school girls giggling, benefits could be better and holiday PTO time.training could be more in depth to specific payors and more interactive

Advice to Management

Suggest box?? Or do you not really want to know

"Best IFT company out there"

Current Employee - EMT-B in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Helpful supervisors
    Easy environment
    Great learning experience, especially as a first EMS job
    Great Benefits (for full time employees)

Cons

It can be difficult to get shifts covered sometimes

6. "Great stepping stone, not a career"

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time

Pros

Norcal is a fast paced company where you can get amazing experience and make lots of patient contacts.

Cons

Flexibility within the schedule leaves some things to be desired.

Advice to Management

Not all change is good change. People come to work here while going to school and having such a rigidly set schedule makes it difficult to do both.

"Over promised and under delivered"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Lodi, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Lodi, CA

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supervisors are super helpful for on call problems. The scheduler works really well with any schedule you have and also coverage is easy to find on short notice.

Cons

They hired over 100 people for the Sac division and told us that there would be so many shifts, we'd be working a lot of OT. three months in, they cut 72 shifts, told FT they would be docked to PT, and PT would be per diem, losing any benefits. They then told us not to worry because people tend to give up shifts, but never happened. People were out of work for a month. Poor management of resources, dispatch is terrible and has an attitude and is horrible at managing calls, and they also like to give you a LDT an hour before the end of your shift. Don't plan anything for after your shift because they make sure it doesn't happen!!

Advice to Management

Don't hire people and tell them they'll be working a lot and then cut 72 shifts!

"Dispatcher"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Alamo, CA
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Alamo, CA

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, management is approachable and helpful.

Cons

Night shifts can be kind of dull sometimes.

"MAGNIFICENT"

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance part-time

Pros

I had the pleasure of working here for almost four years. Norcal Ambulance has an amazing, thorough academy and all the staff, and I do mean ALL of the staff are extremely welcoming. The work environment is stupendous. The owners know the names of the employees! How often is that the case? Dispatch always tries their best to get the crews off on time. In addition to basic life support (BLS), Norcal ambulance offers extensive opportunities to gain field experience in multiple areas of medicine, including critical care transport (CCT) and advanced life support (ALS). In addition, there is much room for growth. Field training officer (FTO), lead EMT and supervisory positions are available to strive towards. Overall, Norcal Ambulance is a magnificent company led by warm-hearted, caring and genuine people.

Cons

There were honestly no cons.

Advice to Management

Great work on building and maintaining an excellent company!

"Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - EMT-B in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Dublin, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. 100% locally owned and operated. The owners live in the community, so they care about the community. This is the only job I've had where the direct owner is actually interested and invested in the lives of new employees.

2. Huge emphasis on safety. The only private company in the Bay Area that uses 100% power cots on their ambulances. The only private company in the Bay Area with auto loads on (some, not all) ambulances.

3. They make sure employees look and feel good by providing proper uniforms. Sturdy 511 uniforms with matching, layered jackets. Best dressed EMT's in the area.

4. A real commitment to integrity. Every company I've worked for has talked a big talk, NorCal is the only company I've worked for that actually puts effort into quality training, equipment, and patient care.

5. Employees step up, not over. Most of the people who leave are leaving for jobs in the fire department, or nursing school, or PD, or PA school. It's incredibly rare to see someone lateral over to a competitor. There's a strong effort to build EMT's into a successful career and to see them advance to something greater.

6. They accommodated my change in schedule when I started medic school. I was able to keep full-time hours working 24-hour shifts, while being a full-time medic student through my didactic and clinicals. I've never had an employer so easily recognize that I had a life off the clock, and be proud to support me through it.

Cons

I have a long career history in different industries. This is the best employer I've had the pleasure to work for, and alongside some of the most amazing and heroic first responders I've ever met. I feel entirely blessed that I was able to begin a medical career with a company where I had amazing mentors; it was just kind of a lucky strike for me. If I had started with another company, I doubt I'd be anywhere near as skillful and confident in EMS as I am today.

Advice to Management

Don't grow corn in the winter.