NORCAL Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - EMT
    Current Employee - EMT

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledgable and professional healthcare staff
    Positive work environment
    Flexible management
    Snacks!

Cons

none to report so far

Advice to Management

Love you guys keep being awesome!

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) They believe in investing in your people first
    2) Proves they care about providing a safe work environment by providing the newest and best equipment.
    3) Flexiable Scheduling with shift bids every 3 months for those with a regularly changing schedule. Does set high expectations for working your schedule which is good because other wise you loose money when your partner calls out a lot,
    4) Great benefits, only requires 30 hours a week to maintain them.
    5) leadership team listens, supports and does best to make changes
    6) Owners are seen involved and around local stations, could use more at out lying stations.
    7) Growth development
    8) Learning for most healthcare avenues, such as CCT, ALS and NICU.
    9) Does their best to keep pay competitive but needs to be higher for cost of living.
    10) feeds us well, always food or snacks awaiting us after a long day.
    11) Call bonuses
    12) provided boots and belt when hired and every two years as needed.

Cons

1) redundant driving, should keep ambulances more centralized to an area. Can affect call bonuses as well.

2) Consistant OT ( could be growth pains due to growing so quickly)

3) Pay to low for cost of living

4) Lack of CEs

5) retirement

Advice to Management

I have enjoyed working for Norcal, everyone is pleasant and management work hard for us. Only advise is to work on the Cons and maybe work on a better continuing education program to make recertifications easier.

Thanks for all you do!

3. "emt"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Dublin, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with, management is very supportive. Perfect place to start your EMS career. Calls are good and plenty of them. Pay is competitive. Company always provided food and snacks for crews daily. Plenty of stations all over the Bay to choose from.

Cons

Not a lot of downtime but they give call bonus to make up for it.

Advice to Management

Lots of supervisors and management to go to when you need. Always takes care of crews and make sure safety comes first.

4. "EMT Life"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

New equipment, they fix problems with equipment asap, competitive pay, great Co workers, can move up and around in company.

Cons

Lack of 12 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

More 12 hr shifts.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - EMT-B in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Norcal is a great place to work, I’ve been with the company for almost a year and it has been a really good experience. Whether you are new to the field or looking to change companies I would recommend them to any emt looking to join. Good equipment awesome co workers and good field sups.

Cons

I wouldn’t say there are to many cons but there are always things that people will come to find at any job that they dislike, I think that Norcal does do a good job at addressing the needs of their employees and helps to ensure we have a good working environment

6. "EMT"

Current Employee - EMT in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - EMT in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked at Norcal for 2 years and have really enjoyed my experience.
    - friendly, professional but fun culture that promotes career development. Crew and management are well selected and coexist effectively.
    - ownership that invests in new and safe equipment
    - post at ambulance stations rather than in rigs between calls; able to work on skills, study for school, etc when there is downtime.
    - ALS & CCT shifts as well as BLS IFTs

Cons

ALS shifts are backup 911, and do not consistently get c3 calls

7. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to grow and learn your craft as an new EMT. Opportunities and flexibility to create a schedule around your work or school. Equipment is some of the best in the industry and is well maintained. Friendly and helpful leadership makes working here a positive. Opportunities to run calls in several counties and to learn and run CCT and ALS calls adds to the ability to grow in the company and personal growth.

As with any experience, what you get out of the experience is dependant on what you put into it.

Staff are very cool and for the most part all are easy to work with. I like working here and recommend it to anyone interested in joining a private ambulance company.

Cons

Not many cons as it relates to EMT jobs. Minor politics as with any company. Would love to see more opportunities to provide service of an immediate response nature and work on skills to keep the training up.

Advice to Management

It costs a lot to be an EMT. I find it hard to believe the amount of money it takes to be and stay an EMT for a little over minimum wage. I would like to see more of an investment on the employer side and more of a commitment on the employee side. It's a big investment on everyone's part and the more there is a mutual commitment, the better the outcome. Would love to see more of a commitment to keeping our skills sharp.

8. "EMT"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Fremont, CA

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers became some of my best friends, I hang out with them outside of work as well, you get food compensation for long distance transports, lots of opportunity to pick up open shifts even if you only have 2 permanent shifts(min for part time), call bonuses on every call if you work overnight shifts, food at company meetings, snacks are usually provided at all stations, great patient care experience because as EMTs you run the calls here

Cons

Sometimes you will get held over your shift if you are given a late call which you can’t avoid(nature of working in EMS), some shifts you will be driving around the entire Bay Area sitting in traffic running calls

Advice to Management

Try to get your crews off on the time scheduled, maybe ask crews midshift if they are okay with getting held over because some crews want the OT and others have to be off on time due to class, kids, etc. Avoid having crews drive all around the Bay Area. I strongly disagree with the posting at a hospital idea because most of the time I end up getting a call at a different hospital.

9. "EMT-Basic"

I have been working at NORCAL Ambulance part-time

Pros

-All hydraulic gurneys or autoload gurneys
    -Lots of open shifts (and OT if you pick them up)
    -Some good coworkers
    -Good experience if you plan on applying to Nursing school, PA school, Med school etc...
    -Lots of stations to work out of

Not sure if this a pro or con but most shifts are 8 hours, with only a handful of shifts being 10 hours.

My ultimate advice is to work here for a year or two, get the experience you need and constantly work on getting another job or going back to school. Do not let yourself get complacent and stay for longer than you have to. This is a stepping stone job, not a career.

Cons

- Pay is 15/hr starting (as of Nov. 2018), and yearly raises are negligible
    - Hiring standard has gone done and some people who work here can get you in trouble because they act unprofessionally and borderline negligently
    - Dispatch can be unrealistic with call times (half an hour to cross the bay area in rush hour traffic)
    - Dispatch has some people that are always rude
    - Almost 0 upward mobility within the company
    -Expect to get held over on most shifts, don't make plans after your shift.
    -Code 2 calls are once a blue moon
    - Lots of calls where you have to drive for hours
    - If this is your first EMS Job, you have to rely on your partner to learn how to navigate hospitals
    -Shift bid is every 3 months and they can change the shifts drastically; makes it hard to schedule work for a second job.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating a good environment for people to work in. Pay should be increased due to increased call volume we are running. Really work on the hiring process because some people who have been EMT's at other companies and get hired on here are burned out and are a liability when they dont care about patient care.

10. "Good Stepping Stone"

I worked at NORCAL Ambulance full-time

Pros

Flexible with school and a good place to cut your teeth in EMS.

Cons

Management and supervisors were unhelpful at times when issues arose and there was the mentality of run as many calls as possible regardless of logistics