NORCAL Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 20, 2018

3.1
Scott Diener

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company, Great Benefits"

I have been working at NORCAL Mutual Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, no tolerance for bullying and harassment

Cons

Unclear management, fast changes with not a lot of direction

"Office Culture"

Former Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really amazing people working in treasury, actuary and marketing. Intelligent and amazing in everything they do.

Cons

An underwriter that slack of and push work onto other while talking about their hair and ignoring clients call should not be the cornerstone of your company.

Advice to Management

long-term goals should be defined and people should be judged based on workload and not based on office politics.

"Lacks vision and quality leadership"

I have been working at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work arrangements, decent pay.

Cons

Completely disorganized, lacks vision. In desperate need of a CEO that is actually engaged in the business and not sitting back collecting a check and awaiting retirement. A complete cultural fail. Technology is from the Stone Ages with very few IT members capable of taking the technology to the next level. Long-term, manual work-arounds for Underwriting that cost the company more labor hours than hiring qualified developers to solve the issues are completely acceptable.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. HR should be more accountable for the lack of culture across the company. You can't have high morale and a poor culture. Quit hiring high level leaders who lack industry experience. The learning curve is too large especially with the absence of training and on-boarding programs. None of the core values are appropriately adhered to among leadership. It starts from the top.

"Unwelcoming environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Good pay, generous PTO package

Cons

When I first came to NORCAL, I could not understand why there was so much hostility towards the new staff. It was apparent that they were short staffed and in great need of additional employees, but we certainly were not greeted with open arms. Instead, we were bullied. Starting with the young and very immature pair of ladies that trained us who refused to answer work related questions when asked with replies like "You asked that question yesterday and I already answered it. Look in the manual for the answer". Very inconvenient and unprofessional response especially when you've got a customer on the telephone waiting for a reply. Also, refusing to train properly and actually making a fuss if one should ask a question when they were on their break (which seemed like it was constantly). One of the ladies, although married with children, was very insecure and would come onto men and once had a hard working young man fired because he refused her advances. Most people were new college graduates and extremely immature with very big egos. Throughout the company, people were snappy and just plain rude. To this day, I cannot understand what the problem was with these people as the majority treated the new people with coldness and disrespect. I came to the company with decades of experience in insurance and was treated like I knew nothing. This was the most hostile work environment that I had ever been in. However, NORCAL keeps on people who are immature and that's what is going to make the company sink.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything that the "kids" say. This isn't a playground, but an office.

"Some good but falling apart"

I have been working at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible work arrangements and work from home. More underwriting decision making and focus on the customer.

Cons

Some good things but combative attitudes hurting the company. The national ops group functions in a silo or bullies other groups with no process or results. Our CEO has become invisible. Unless you are in sales you don't have a voice since we moved under the COO.

Advice to Management

Have our CEO get back involved and see what is truly going on. It was much better then.

"NORCAL is Becoming a National Insurer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seeing evidence that the plans put in place to respond to different customers effectively are working. The changes in UW to align by customer group are positive steps in being a national player.

Cons

Lots of change so you need to be able to adapt and be comfortable with change.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate how the changes that are put in place are producing good or not so good results. Employees are interested to know!

"High Turnover"

I have been working at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are successful in maintaining our ridiculously high turnover rate and revolving door philosophy!

Cons

If you thrive on stress, chaos and constant change, Norcal is the place for you. Its revolving door policy is demonstrated by the high employee turnover rate–nearly 50% of the employees employed on Jan. 1, 2017 are no longer with the company now. Very few left on their own and terminating employees comes a little too easy to this company.

Training is spotty at best and employee policies are applied unevenly and are heavily dependent on department and manager. Don’t be fooled by the new offices-nothing has changed.

Beware-the newest reviews on this website have been written by ringers-trust me.

Advice to Management

Where is the vision? Maximizing earnings does not make up for destroying a company that was once respected in the industry and by its employees.

"Downsized good people through poor Management of the Company"

I worked at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

At one time a great company to work for! Expected to retire and instead thrown out like trash because of greedy and not very bright management!

Cons

They destroyed people's lives and once a good company. These companies expect everything from you until they make financial mistakes and then let go of the people who built the company because of their bad judgement. Norcal destroyed lives. I hope the company crumbles they way they treated solid employees...

Advice to Management

Hope you rot in hell

"Underwriting"

I worked at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy commute and you'll get a front row view of office politics at its finest!

Cons

Rolling layoffs, terrible management, subtle racism. The company let go of the people with all the knowledge. It's now just a shell of a company on the brink of failure. No room for promotion if you're not white and male. Benefits were cut dramatically.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership with a proven ability to lead and foresee industry trends. Address employee morale issues and stop operating on a reactionary basis.

10. "Good place to work"

I worked at NORCAL Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a regional company that expanded nationally over the last 10 years with good opportunities if you show initiative and willing to move.

Cons

Heavily driven by legal that slows decisions and makes it less adaptable.