NORDAM Reviews | Glassdoor

NORDAM Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

1.0
Meredith Siegfried

Pros
  • work-life balance, good colleagues, own time management, (in 3 reviews)

• It is a privately held, family owned business started and headquartered in Tulsa, OK but with roots all around the world (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Aerospace industry has its ups and downs (in 3 reviews)

• The lay offs are the worst part about this industry (in 3 reviews)

1. "Well, it's a job at least…"

Former Employee - Cabinet Maker Assistant in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cabinet Maker Assistant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time, decent benefits, and it's a job…

Cons

No career growth, no merit, extremely resistant to change, management, leadership, uncertainty of job security, communication, and the good ole boy system

Advice to Management

Ownership/family need to be more involved with the day-to-day life on the shop floor! There also needs to be follow through with what is being conveyed from middle-management to mechanics. There also needs to be a hard look at the middle level management to make sure that they are actually being beneficial to the company. HR needs to realize that their employees are assets to the company; not just a number. This used to be an excellent place to work!!! But now it is lackluster.

2. "Project Scheduler II"

Former Employee - Engineering Projects Scheduler in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Engineering Projects Scheduler in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at NORDAM (More than 5 years)

Pros

No structure, able to work independently

Cons

Terrible work schedule - you work all the time. Absolutely minimal or no training available. Disorganized management and multiple layers of management stepping over each other.

"Horrible Morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at NORDAM full-time

Pros

Employees in various departments are good people, however everyone pretty much has to look out for themselves at this company.

Cons

Very sad that employees raise their legitimate concerns but they fall on deaf ears. Don't even think about notifying HR or managers about employees being treated unfairly or about terrible horrible supervisors (who really need help and training) because nothing good will come out of that for you. Seems like management is untouchable no matter what they do. Forget about trying to help improve the depressing working atmosphere in your department. Company has been closing locations and consolidating others. The way this company fires you is to walk you out without notice during the downsizing.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are saying....it takes a lot of guts for them to come forward and speak up about their concerns. They aren't doing it for fun but rather to try to benefit the company and help turn it around.

"NORDAM: More Cons than Pros"

Current Employee - Everyone Who Loves NORDAM
    Current Employee - Everyone Who Loves NORDAM

Pros

I joined NORDAM because of her excellent culture which is shown to be uniquely marketed. A company really is shaped by her leaders, they were good when I joined, but with the departure of some good managers and the promotion of the least desirable types. I can only say that it has gone downhill. I look back at the good'o days with a sad smile.

Cons

For the record, NORDAM does not have employees working in Kabul, so I assume the previous reviewer just planned on keeping his/her identity secret, for fear of repercussion. I do agree with the points and would like to add some that were not raised. The political scene at NORDAM is quite prevalent, everyone in the top level are constantly "covering ass". For example, a lot of managers are starting to not make simple decisions and insisting on others like technical staff or support staff making the decision. In fact, most managers do not know their work or what they are saying sometimes and rely on chasing other to get the job done. One example was when an urgent issue cropped up near the deadline and immediate resolution was needed, you would expect the director to be concerned, no, he had gone home with full knowledge of the situation. The manager was no help as he only want to settle the problem in the fastest possible (not necessary the safest) way, the only catch is that he did not agree to put his name on the dodgy idea of his. Both person were only focused on who to pin the blame on. And that is what is lacking in NORDAM, accountability. Without accountability, managers can get off with giving silly ideas and/or failures that are under their charge, as long as there is someone else who puts their name on the dotted line. With that same line of thought, we seldom see the management gutsy enough to sign off with their names. Very often, they are quick to take the glory of coming up with some dodgy idea to solve a problem, and when it does not work out, the workers performing the wonderful plan takes the rap.

In fact, most managers realized that NORDAM is a place for speedy promotion without any aviation experience or knowledge, all they have to do is put up an elaborate show for the CEO and she will be impressed. It is the typical “What she does not know, will not hurt the paycheck” sort of mindset. I know what I am saying is bad, and I am ashamed to bring this up, but the things that go on without the knowledge of the CEO, is not doing justice for her, especially since she is a good leader with a strong mind. It is common for most correspondence to not include the CEO, so only the good news will be sent to her. Operational deviations, projects that do not take flight, grievances rarely reach that level. Not that that is bad, if these are handled properly, but mostly, the root problem is that such things are ‘sweep under a rug’ rather than resolved.

One of the biggest problems at NORDAM is that it does not matter how good you are at your job - as long as you have the right connections, you can do absolutely nothing and still get promoted. Most managers form alliance to consolidate power and mutually praise each other, or to eliminate those they deem as threatening to their career.

Lastly, would it hurt so much to give credit to those who help do your bidding, or help clean up the mess you created? If managers treated their employee better and not be so eager to take credit for the labor of others, they would have more people willing to slog for them. Like the old saying goes, a monkey can replace a manager, in fact they are cheaper and more entertaining.

Advice to Management

There are lots to improve on and if you are concerned with the well-being of NORDAM, you should be able to sieve out majors points from what I have written above. I hope you have a change of heart and feel conscientious enough to take action.
    But if I know you better, I hope the monkeys come sooner..