NORDAM Reviews | Glassdoor

NORDAM Reviews

Updated August 7, 2017

Meredith Siegfried

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, great environment, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Generous benefits and salaries, family-owned environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Aerospace industry has its ups and downs (in 3 reviews)

• The lay offs are the worst part about this industry (in 3 reviews)

1. "good working environment, little career value"

I have been working at NORDAM full-time

Pros

Great people. Enjoyable work. Good place to get experience.

Cons

Career planning isn't strong.

Advice to Management

Develop people.

2. "Good work while available"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Tulsa, OK
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at NORDAM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going for the most part just as long as you keep busy. Collaborative professional environment.

Cons

Haven't been here long enough to find anything overtly negative to comment about. Possibly the short contract period in light of project completion deadlines but that remains open ended for the time being.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Great benefits. Management lets you do your job. I was able to ask my piers for advice.
    The work environment was very serious although I wouldn’t count that as a negative.

Cons

My supervisor was very hard to please and rude. I was not interviewed well enough for the position requirements. This is not an entry-level company. They require a star from day one with no training. If you are experienced and believe you can succeed with no training then Nordam may be for you. Otherwise, I would not recommend.

4. "Mechanic assembly"

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic Assembly in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic Assembly in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmospher. Nice management. Great way to start your life and earn good money. Its ah very safe building with great co workers. If you wanna grow this is a good way to start. And they also give you a chance to achieve your goals.

Cons

The lay offs are the worst part about this industry. I learned that it can't be controlled. It's within the economy. If there are no million dollar sales for private and commercial airliners, then there will be not enough work for workers to build. But as long as the economy holds up and people fly more, then there will be sales and airliners to be built so that we can have stable jobs in the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep it social and have more ethnic backgrounds wrkn for you. As time goes on and you remain in the working Feild I think that management should pay attention to the new culture that's forthcoming. It will help them to make better decisions on what they think about people. And not how they look or dress or talk. It's not always like that with managers. But it's just a suggestion.

"Unpredictable Environment - Typical in Aerospace"

Former Employee - Compliance
    Former Employee - Compliance

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good workforce where most people try to do the right thing.

Cons

Some lack to holding people accountable by management, and too many things swept under the rug instead of making improvements to prevent future issues. Environment where upper level management and executives held to a different standard than lower level employees. Similar situation to many privately-held companies. Absolutely NO bonus structure and horrible raises. No incentives for advancement.

Advice to Management

Hold people to the policies and procedures instead of everything being treated as a one-off. Make announcements when people violate company policy to show it won't be tolerated instead of letting the "gossip train" spread rumors. Revamp incentive structure to give "stakeholders" and actual vested interest in the company being profitable. Hold management to same expectations as all other employees.

6. "very old school, stuck in 1950"

Former Contractor - Stress Contractor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Contractor - Stress Contractor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous with overtime. Decent offices. Free coffee. Orderly atmosphere.

Cons

You will be given fair to poor designs and forced to used primitive analysis methods to 'show it good' quickly. If you won't, they'll walk you out, or you'll quit to keep your integrity. They don't want to see any math, nonlinear analysis, new or modern methods even if you manage to do them quickly with their primitive tools. Management communication is very poor. They don't tell you anything unless you ask. You wind up bothering busy coworkers to find out anything about data, methods, requirements, etc. if you are new to the field, you won't learn anything of value here and will outgrow them very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop living in 1950 and accept that methods do advance, computers are here to stay, and do things properly at first rather with inaccurate simplistic primitive assumptions over and over again. You waste enormous time and money doing things as you do and wind up boxed in corner when it fails.

7. "Sets you up for working in Corporate America, may not be the job you want."

Former Intern - Intern - Technical in Tulsa, OK
    Former Intern - Intern - Technical in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Probably one of the best internships because of all the training sessions and free food.
    - Learned about INSIGHT personalities, Continuous Improvement, and Presentation Skills among other attributes that can be applied to any job at any company.
    - Taught me skills that I didn't and probably never would have learned in school.
    - Nice people.

Cons

- It's a challenge moving there if you're not from Tulsa. They do not provide a relocation stipend for summer interns.
    - Some of the workers are really old fashioned and not open to new ideas.
    - I lacked direction on my project so I didn't have much to do outside of training sessions.

Advice to Management

- Have the intern projects be more structured. Have a Senior Engineer be the mentor and the Director of Engineering or Supervisor of an area be the person above the mentor.
    - Offer a relocation stipend to interns or pay for their housing and reduce pay by $3/hr, that way some of us aren't struggling to pay bills for the first month.
    - Have engineering interns do both CATIA and Composites Training.

8. "Bonding corrosion rings to window frames"

Current Employee - Bonder in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Bonder in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at NORDAM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent and the benefits aren't bad. Once you are hired on as a stakeholder they try their best to take care of you

Cons

Long days, and random layoffs. Rarely have a normal schedule and plenty of required overtime. You must be used to 40 hours or more a week

9. "bonder/assembler A"

Former Employee - Bonder- Assembler A in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Bonder- Assembler A in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time

Pros

desent wages. Liked the variety in my work.invested 18 years. there till I got laid off for good. Good upper Management..

Cons

constant changes. seems that backstabbers always get the lead positions. deaf ears if you go up chain of command. cornered out of a job. if you do not know your work don't expect your lead to show you.

Advice to Management

Your company looses good talent do to buddy system. unfair hireing practices. or should I say REHIRE PRACTICES.

10. "Good company."

Pros

Great CEO, and good people for the most part.

Cons

The seperate divisions see themselves as seperate companies. Several groups that watch out for one another which allows for some very unethical behavior.