NORDAM Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Meredith Siegfried

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generous benefits and salaries, family-owned environment (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, great environment, good benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Aerospace industry has its ups and downs (in 3 reviews)

• The lay offs are the worst part about this industry (in 3 reviews)

"Horrible Morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at NORDAM full-time

Pros

Employees in various departments are good people, however everyone pretty much has to look out for themselves at this company.

Cons

Very sad that employees raise their legitimate concerns but they fall on deaf ears. Don't even think about notifying HR or managers about employees being treated unfairly or about terrible horrible supervisors (who really need help and training) because nothing good will come out of that for you. Seems like management is untouchable no matter what they do. Forget about trying to help improve the depressing working atmosphere in your department. Company has been closing locations and consolidating others. The way this company fires you is to walk you out without notice during the downsizing.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are saying....it takes a lot of guts for them to come forward and speak up about their concerns. They aren't doing it for fun but rather to try to benefit the company and help turn it around.

2. "Project Scheduler II"

Former Employee - Engineering Projects Scheduler in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Engineering Projects Scheduler in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at NORDAM (More than 5 years)

Pros

No structure, able to work independently

Cons

Terrible work schedule - you work all the time. Absolutely minimal or no training available. Disorganized management and multiple layers of management stepping over each other.

3. "Well, it's a job at least…"

Former Employee - Cabinet Maker Assistant in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cabinet Maker Assistant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time, decent benefits, and it's a job…

Cons

No career growth, no merit, extremely resistant to change, management, leadership, uncertainty of job security, communication, and the good ole boy system

Advice to Management

Ownership/family need to be more involved with the day-to-day life on the shop floor! There also needs to be follow through with what is being conveyed from middle-management to mechanics. There also needs to be a hard look at the middle level management to make sure that they are actually being beneficial to the company. HR needs to realize that their employees are assets to the company; not just a number. This used to be an excellent place to work!!! But now it is lackluster.

"NORDAM: More Cons than Pros"

Current Employee - Everyone Who Loves NORDAM
    Current Employee - Everyone Who Loves NORDAM

Pros

I joined NORDAM because of her excellent culture which is shown to be uniquely marketed. A company really is shaped by her leaders, they were good when I joined, but with the departure of some good managers and the promotion of the least desirable types. I can only say that it has gone downhill. I look back at the good'o days with a sad smile.

Cons

For the record, NORDAM does not have employees working in Kabul, so I assume the previous reviewer just planned on keeping his/her identity secret, for fear of repercussion. I do agree with the points and would like to add some that were not raised. The political scene at NORDAM is quite prevalent, everyone in the top level are constantly "covering ass". For example, a lot of managers are starting to not make simple decisions and insisting on others like technical staff or support staff making the decision. In fact, most managers do not know their work or what they are saying sometimes and rely on chasing other to get the job done. One example was when an urgent issue cropped up near the deadline and immediate resolution was needed, you would expect the director to be concerned, no, he had gone home with full knowledge of the situation. The manager was no help as he only want to settle the problem in the fastest possible (not necessary the safest) way, the only catch is that he did not agree to put his name on the dodgy idea of his. Both person were only focused on who to pin the blame on. And that is what is lacking in NORDAM, accountability. Without accountability, managers can get off with giving silly ideas and/or failures that are under their charge, as long as there is someone else who puts their name on the dotted line. With that same line of thought, we seldom see the management gutsy enough to sign off with their names. Very often, they are quick to take the glory of coming up with some dodgy idea to solve a problem, and when it does not work out, the workers performing the wonderful plan takes the rap.

In fact, most managers realized that NORDAM is a place for speedy promotion without any aviation experience or knowledge, all they have to do is put up an elaborate show for the CEO and she will be impressed. It is the typical “What she does not know, will not hurt the paycheck” sort of mindset. I know what I am saying is bad, and I am ashamed to bring this up, but the things that go on without the knowledge of the CEO, is not doing justice for her, especially since she is a good leader with a strong mind. It is common for most correspondence to not include the CEO, so only the good news will be sent to her. Operational deviations, projects that do not take flight, grievances rarely reach that level. Not that that is bad, if these are handled properly, but mostly, the root problem is that such things are ‘sweep under a rug’ rather than resolved.

One of the biggest problems at NORDAM is that it does not matter how good you are at your job - as long as you have the right connections, you can do absolutely nothing and still get promoted. Most managers form alliance to consolidate power and mutually praise each other, or to eliminate those they deem as threatening to their career.

Lastly, would it hurt so much to give credit to those who help do your bidding, or help clean up the mess you created? If managers treated their employee better and not be so eager to take credit for the labor of others, they would have more people willing to slog for them. Like the old saying goes, a monkey can replace a manager, in fact they are cheaper and more entertaining.

Advice to Management

There are lots to improve on and if you are concerned with the well-being of NORDAM, you should be able to sieve out majors points from what I have written above. I hope you have a change of heart and feel conscientious enough to take action.
    But if I know you better, I hope the monkeys come sooner..

"The real NORDAM"

Pros

The learning opportunities are great. NORDAM works on a lot of different things.

Cons

The company seems to be all that matters. They say they want you to have a balanced life with work and family, but reality seems to be company comes first.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and their knowledge. Stop leading from your ivory towers.

6. "Very hostile work environment"

Former Employee - IT Area in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - IT Area in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

my work schedule was flexible

Cons

Bed bugs, a case of bed was found and or area was notified days after they found the bugs. Management lacks experience in leading people. Management allows stakeholders to yell and speak negatively to IT staff. I happen to work for the Director that calls himself the "the gay trouble maker", on Vimeo. The director that I reported to was rated one of the worst in the whole company on an employee survey and they kept him. More than half of the department left the company and it was a very cohesive group for the exception of the director. I have never worked at a company where the managers and directors have such a disrespect for their employees. What is odd is the executives and family members are always respectful. There is just a huge issue with the director and managers and the HR dept.. HR at NORDAM is a meant to support the managers and directors. If you are an employee with an issue keep it to yourself because you don't have an HR department to help you.

Advice to Management

Always take in everyones opinion and realize there are good ideas that may not be yours. Value your employees they also deserve respect. Look up the definition to boundaries.

7. "Used to be a Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most Employees treat each other like family and work to help each other out especially in a time of personal crisis. Worked with a lot of really great people.
    Oportunity to learn alot about the aerospace industry and make contacts across the globe

Cons

In recent years the turn over in management has brought in many folks just looking to make it to retirement. They did not care about doing the right things, nor did they care about their employees. Proper training and tools to do your job is difficult to come by. Work-life balance is non-existant, especially for anyone in support staff positions. Also Managers are not interested in accountablity nor giving credit where it is due. Considering the aviation industry is so regulated, I cannot believe the pass the audits they do, especially when error and mistakes are made daily and no one in management ever works to correct the root problem.
    Could be a first class company again if 'real' managers were employed, most presently don't have a clue what is going on or what needs to be done to fix it.
    I never have understood how a manager could support their people when they don't have a single clue what their people do or are supposed to do.
    When you can't 'walk' in their shoes - how can you lead them?

Advice to Management

If you dump all the work onto your 'star' workers, they just become burned out! That has been evident in the last year with several very good people passing from stress related illnesses.
    Quit worry about the bottom line and start focusing on Quality of work and Quality of Life.
    Do the right thing all the time and everything else will fall into place!
    ***Bill Peacher has not been the CEO for many years. The current CEO is a Siegfried family member

8. "Better jobs out there..."

Former Employee - Marketing in New Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Marketing in New Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved my tenure at NORDAM, but unfortunately got laid off a few years ago during massive company-wide layoffs. Pay was decent. I loved the busy aspect of my job and the domestic and international travel I got to do.

Cons

After a while on the job, I found out what a back stabbing bunch of childish girls I worked with. Then they laid off my awesome manager and put me under this butt - kissing know it all who would throw you under the bus every chance she got. She is/was pure EVIL. Then they cut our pay in order to keep most of us only to be surprisingly laid off completely out of the blue a few months later. The Siegfrieds run everything. Never ever forget that.

Advice to Management

None because it would fall on deaf ears.

"Family feud"

Former Employee - Bonder in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Bonder in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM full-time

Pros

The employees create a good atmosphere to work in. The people a friendly and will go out if there way to help each other

Cons

To many chiefs and not enough Indians as the old saying goes. Sometimes you can go around circles before get a answer.

Advice to Management

Get over your family feud. Just because one family member tries to go out on his own and sister doesn't like it she takes it out on employees that tried the grass on other side of fence. If anyone is acting immature it's her. What goes around comes around and one day it will bite her

"Will The Captain Go Down With The Ship?"

Pros

No stress atmosphere. Pay almost reasonable. Most general working relationships were good.

Cons

Company acts like pay raises were under their seat and their butts were pinched too tight to release it to it's stakeholders. Too clickish! If you weren't one of the few that grew up together then you didn't advance. CEO is kept blind to what is really going on at the production level. Unlike the previous founder who knew executed a flawless business and employee respect. Lack of pre-qualified workers for most positions. They were trained on the job so if their trainer was wrong then guess what,,, their trainee was also wrong. QA hasn't any real idea of true quality control procedures except for one individual. She's really knowledgeable and informative. Kudos to her!!!
    They rush with a program and remodel a whole section of the plant just to have their quota filled a year early and no need for the remodeling.
    Everyone is so afraid to speak up for fear of being walked out. Management wouldn't last a day in the real world of management. Audits are performed like they were thought up in the 1800's.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out and quit thinking all money. People and attitudes make a company powerful not the dollar bill. With peoples and the right attitude comes quality and pride and with pride comes perfection which generates returned revenues and positive financial success. Think about it!