NPD Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NPD Chairman and CEO Tod S. Johnson
Tod S. Johnson

Pros
  • Privately held company with good work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Traditionally there has been a good work life balance with the ability to work from home or set up flexible hours (in 10 reviews)

1. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounting in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Accounting in Port Washington, NY

I worked at NPD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

For large company your systems are out of date.

Advice to Management

Upgrade and enlarge your workforce to accommodate the workload.

"Good company, but just as a stepping stone - not for growth."

Current Employee - Director, Client Development in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Client Development in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at NPD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours, you can work remotely, good 401k plan - although it does take awhile to get the full benefit
    Good resume builder

Cons

A lot of meetings - where the owner talks for awhile, wastes time, especially during time-sensitive work times.
    Benefits are way expensive. 170$/month for full benefits for a single person
    Micromanaged a lot
    Expected to work nights and weekends (main reason to leave)
    Absolutely zero growth potential
    Also, my company president told me this one, (had a promotion with zero raise) Todd Johnson doesn't like to give out big raises- so while my work load doubled, I only got a 1500/yr raise

Advice to Management

I get you want to keep employees informed, but a lot of times we have deadlines, set in place by management, and we don't have time to sit there and listen to Todd Johnson/Karyn talk for 3 hrs.
    Also, don't be afraid to give your employees a raise with a promotion- this is currently why I'm looking elsewhere

"accounting manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

Pros

located on long island, close to home

Cons

no room for advancement, terrible culture in some departments

Advice to Management

bring in new innovative management

"Don't invest too much time here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

I worked at NPD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A place to get some early career experience

Cons

Low pay, limited career potential, management who really doesn't care about you. Career potential is limited because they don't want to pay for more experienced people.

Advice to Management

Recognize the contributions people have made impacting your success and wallets.

"Bad Working Environment"

Former Employee - Engineer in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Long Island City, NY

I worked at NPD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't fine one to post

Cons

The NDP group is a “Bad Working Environment”. It is a company that balances it Employee base on race, and driven on Knowledge Transfer. What does this means: Driven on Knowledge Transfer. The company does not have true talents, and deliberately hire specific individuals with well-founded knowledge and create a process that is designed to drain or steel knowledge between a period of 3-to-6 months. Once they feel that they have acquire enough or think that they have what you have worked hard for, the company just get rid of you as soon as they can in a very disdainful manner.
    This is not a company of true pioneers, and no future for you in this company. And yes, this company only preferred white employees, and it is where your knowledge ends up. When it comes to Information Technology, it is the weak as all departments of this company. You work hard for your knowledge, and you reserve the right not to share your knowledge. A team is not about one person doing all of the work and share his or her knowledge to everyone else, is about knowledgeable individuals working together to overcome challenges. Not one person overcoming challengers for everyone else.
    I strongly believe that Tod S. Johnson know what is happening within his company, and if you are a talented individual who is off-white [expect the worst job] believes that you have a future in this company, you are wrong. I have spoken to individual high-up in the ladder in this company, and there is only air between their ears. Karyn Schoenbart is a thunder-head [This is the best description that I can come up with, unfortunately]. She is a perfect example of what a failure is. She is the core participant that drives the Knowledge Transfer scheme with the NPD Group.

Advice to Management

Not worth the time

"Highschool Clique Atmoshpere- Inadequate Managers. No training provided."

Former Employee - Manager of Operations In the Vide/Games Sector in Port Washington, NY

I worked at NPD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, nice parking, nice office

Cons

I was hired in the Video Games Sector. Be careful of this department- it is a bunch of recent college graduates and this is their first job. They are very gossipy, unprofessional and play favorites. After 9 days of employment, a manager (who i had NO communication or interaction with) spoke to me in a very unprofessional manner. She actually sent me an email that said in all capital letters "WE NEED TO TALK". They provided absolutely NO training. There idea of training.. is to have a 21 year old train you- who is intimidated by you, and feels that their job is being threatened. Good luck - my advice is its an ok company but stay away from the Video and Entertainment Departments.

Advice to Management

rethink who you have in management positions. Provide more management training.

"Not Interested in Retaining Their Experienced Talent Pool"

Former Employee - Market Research Associate in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Market Research Associate in Port Washington, NY

I worked at NPD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Convenient location if you're in Queens or Nassau. Friendly culture among the rank and file.

Cons

You only get ahead if your part of the clique. Highly political company. Low salaries for the industry. Have no problems cutting loose employees with long tenure. Can't seem to get their act together vis-a-vis the technology (some departments are still using a DO based mainframe, stopped one upgrade in mid-stream to go in a completely different direction). Upper management is arrogant about the appeal of the company to potential recruits. HR is evasive, no transparency.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the knowledge base you're sacrificing to politics.

"Worst Experiene. Very Cliquy.. poor management"

Former Employee - Data Manager in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Port Washington, NY

Pros

pay was actually ok. benefits were good.. flex time in summer.

Cons

Team and management was very cliquy. Specific managers were incomptent, not professional. felt like i was back in highschool dealing with the popular girls. borderline harrasment. Training program sucks! Was hired- in first two weeks barely received any one on one training. Does not seem like a place with good growth potential. i left voluntarily.

Advice to Management

Provide your managers with some classes. They need people skills and management skills.