NPD Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
NPD Chairman and CEO Tod S. Johnson
Tod S. Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/ life balance as long as you are doing a good job" (in 63 reviews)

• "Great co-workers, work life balance, flexible work from home options" (in 16 reviews)

"N/A"

I worked at NPD full-time

Pros

A great place to work with excellent opportunity to advance

Cons

Nothing negative to say about NPD. Loved the people and the place.

2. "Good Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NPD part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NPD offers good training and a good work life balance. If you are passionate about your job it is a good fit. Many people stay for a long time

Cons

Pay is not competitive. Management is egotistical and does not take interest in employees. Many products are antiquated or not exciting to clients.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and focus time retaining talent rather than churning through good people like an assembly line. It is discouraging to focus your energy on a job with little reward

"Used To Be Great. Going Downhill So Fast."

I have been working at NPD full-time

Pros

Still a market leader with certain industries but position is increasingly threatened by a series of competitors launching stellar products.

Cons

When I joined the organization the work environment was like that of a close-knit family with coworkers supporting each other and senior management always working hard to ensure employee satisfaction and providing them room to grow. Unfortunately, over time the business unit I belong to has become overly revenue- obsessed and the revenue goals have become increasingly unrealistic. An individual with a CPG background took over the leadership recently and started cutting seasoned staff to help make the numbers (as growth could not be done organically), treating the division as if the products were more important than the staff and the client relationship they had built and maintained. Sadly, management in the C suite and HR are in support of this unwise move. As a result, a few key players have left the organization involuntarily and morale is at an all-time low as everyone remaining is worried if his/her number will be called next.

Advice to Management

Cutting staff (especially those with years of experience) to make numbers is a short-term solution and will cause irreversible damages to the business in the long run, especially if competition is ramping up with stellar products and offering client service staff that clients have grown familiar with and trust. NPD is not a CPG company. People here (with their skills, knowledge and client relationships) are a bigger asset than its products. They help bring the products to life and build relationships that facilitate seamless adoption of the products by the clients.

"Direction unclear"

I worked at NPD (More than a year)

Pros

+Pay was fine for my experience level and role
    +Work-life balance is good. Bosses are super understanding about things like working remotely, not wanting a lot of overtime, and so on.
    +It's not super interesting stuff, but it's a living.

Cons

-NPD doesn't seem to know what it wants right now. The team I was on was restructured twice in the just-under-two years I was there (not counting the total restructuring that happened right before I was hired, which was part of why I had 11 interview calls and meetings beforehand).

At one point, about half the team was laid off with no notice-even managers were caught by surprise. The company didn't address it until months later when directly asked at a townhall, at which point they gave the old "We thought we did this okay, but we're sorry if any of you had a problem" excuse.

Management assured the team it wouldn't happen again, then laid off more people a few months later after giving out raises for taking on extra work in the face of the first layoffs. Meanwhile, only two hires to replace the first round of layoffs had occurred, one of whom was to fill a position that had already been open for six months, and the other of whom was hired by accident(!) and let go after just two weeks (which we only found out later, of course; I was tasked by a supervisor with finding out where he was and filling him in on new information for a project when I found him, only to be told by a coworker that he had been laid off).

-Also, HR is generally unhelpful, unorganized, entirely out of the New York office (meaning other offices are kind of flying blind).

5. "Good Stepping Stone"

I have been working at NPD full-time

Pros

Good Experience and exposure to clients

Cons

Culture can be prone to negativity and not the success of your employees or fellow team members

"Data Entry"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Herndon, VA

I worked at NPD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with hours
    Off on Holidays
    Telecommunication

Cons

Doesn't give any notice before ending your contract.

Advice to Management

Give people notices before ending their contract so they don't become jobless.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Executive Director, Client Development in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at NPD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture. Private ownership.

Cons

Company has a heavy meeting culture and it takes a long time to get initiatives done.

"Corporate culture lacking"

I worked at NPD full-time

Pros

Has good benefits and is a good place to learn for junior staff

Cons

Very political and does not invest in training. Leadership plays favorites and changes structure/staffing often.

"Vice President"

I worked at NPD full-time

Pros

Great people, rock solid CEO/founder. Clearly communicated strategy and priorities. Health benefits are superior. Profit sharing.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

"Stay away from this Company"

Former Employee - Accountant in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant in Port Washington, NY

I worked at NPD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good to learn few tricks

Cons

Very Corporate environment. People are very unfriendly. Micromanagement style.
    There is no room for advancement . Salary on low level. There is no communication between Management and employees. No stability.
    To all young people out of Colleges: Stay a short time, learn something and get out of there.

Advice to Management

Learn how to respect people you are working with.