NPO GLAD Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 16 reviews

2.1

"Great people!"

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time

Pros

This company placed me in great schools where I enjoyed teaching. They care a lot about their employees' well-being, and about placing the right teachers in the right schools.

Cons

Schools' budgets are tight, and make it difficult to pay teachers well.

Advice to Management

Sit down with the people in charge of hiring foreign teachers and explain your business model to them. I'm sure they don't understand how little they are offering to the teachers, which causes them to set their expectations too high.

NPO GLAD2016-05-09

"Good for last resort VISA"

Former Employee - ALT in Sakai, Osaka

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was an easy Interview. They are very friendly, helpful with translations and transport etc if you have any trouble there.

Cons

If you stay in Japan long, you will receive mail saying you owe 1 years worth of tax/insurance/pension stuff etc. They don't pay for any of these and the Japanese don't really follow it up unless you are still in Japan. (Suddenly had to fork out about 3,000,000yen to pay for everything I didn't know I owed.) They actually are doing it wrongfully, as I have worked in several other companies before and never had... this problem. (Currently an IT Engineer in Osaka.)

Advice to Management

Should be up front and mention that you don't support anyone with insurance etc. I didn't expect to have mail telling me I owe so much money two years after.

NPO GLAD2019-06-18

"Not great, but not bad...... typical dispatch company"

Former Employee - ALT in Hirakata, Osaka

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time

Pros

Freedom, and minimal contact from supervisor.

Cons

Salary is often delayed by up to a month.

NPO GLAD2019-03-21

"Boe brown nosers"

Former Employee - ALT in Tōno, Iwate

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time for less than a year

Pros

Shakai hoken, some good locations, they paid me on time.

Cons

The coordinator in tohoku was a real battle ax. Always lashing out with assertations for no reason. Very confrontational and, worst of all, unwilling and scared to protect basic labor standards because that would be bad manner.

Advice to Management

Whether you believe it or not, there are good Japanese out there who will not tolerate your insolence.

NPO GLAD2019-03-22

"Not the Best but Okay company..."

Former Employee - T-NET

I worked at NPO GLAD part-time for less than a year

Pros

Communication was good and was able to receive help when I needed it.

Cons

Not much training during the year. Found out that, after browsing other positions, I received one of the lowest pay among other positions that offered more.

NPO GLAD2019-01-22

"Dishonesty and Money Issues"

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Local area supervisors were helpful and available at odd hours, helped us with some big issues with GLAD. - Reasonably high pay for ALT

Cons

- Pay was not deposited on time, with no warning. - When pay WAS given, it was often after the date they promised, only part was deposited, etc. - again, NO WARNING was given regarding missing pay, and the head office/accountants only replied and “explained” when aggressively pushed by us and by our BoE. - No health insurance or pension included, due to the sneaky use of our teaching schedules to get around it... (working 29-29.5 hrs a week to avoid the 30hr point where it becomes mandatory). - not able to sponsor visas. Basically they canmot do this anymore, so you can only legally work for them if you have a residency visa or similar. They will however try to hire you on a “valid working visa@“, and just have you work while still registered in your old company’s name.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Pay people on time or don’t hire them. Don’t mislead people who just want to be teachers, because they (like me) may lose all motivation and love for the job.

NPO GLAD2019-02-21

"Only apply as a last resort if you can't find anything else..."

Former Employee - T-NET in Hirakata, Osaka

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the staff I've worked with try and do their best to give you advice if you have any troubles. So I guess they have that going for them.

Cons

Terrible wages- In Osaka, expect your pay to be around 180,000 yen a month. No benefits- Insurance is not provided, no paid days off either If a situation arises, expect to handle everything yourself. If you're not conversational with Japanese and don't understand the culture well, you're screwed. Pay is almost always late. Pays too low for transportation. Practically the only ALT company I can think of... that's worse is CityStaff. The pay for full time there was 150,000 yen and the recruiter was Chinese plus barely spoke any English. Turned those guys down instantly of course.

Advice to Management

You guys need to stop cutting corners when it comes to treating both your ALT and your staff. It's embarrassing. Act more professional. If you still can't manage that then sell off your company to someone who is more capable.

NPO GLAD2019-01-23

"ALT"

Former Employee - ALT in Suita

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time for less than a year

Pros

My first experience teaching in Japan and I felt they did everything necessary to start me out in my Japan teaching experiene.

Cons

Well there were a few obstacles getting paid on time. Just to be fair on a few occassions payments were delayed according to them because of a glitch at the BOE

Advice to Management

As a new company I understand about growing pains. To the leader of company please continue carefully listening to feedback on improvements from employees and contractors. My suggestion is to have a general feedback form filled out by contractors at end of ALT with guaranteed responses from management and anonymous feedback or suggestion box for direct hires or non-contract employees so they can feel safe to... constructively share their thoughts.

NPO GLAD2018-09-18

"Extremely incompetent and deceptive, avoid at all costs."

I worked at NPO GLAD part-time

Pros

Learn about Japanese public school systems and experience working in that environment. No overtime work.

Cons

The positive reviews are clearly paid off or written by higher management to save face. Pay is unacceptable and barely enough to get by. Don’t expect to be saving any money. Your paychecks are also incredibly delayed. For example, if you start working in April you won’t receive your April salary until the end of May, and you'll receive your May salary at the end of June. They lie about contract information and... hide important details until they present you the contract. Emails to the company either go unanswered or take several days with a sugarcoated response. There are no true full-time contracts. You won’t be working for long periods during the summer and winter, and you are only paid for days worked. Some contracts only average at working 3 days per week, and others don’t even last the entire Japanese school year (ending in December rather than March for example). No health insurance, no paid holidays, transportation is only partially covered. No way to make up for missed days. While they sponsor visas, they are willing to illegally hire people to come to Japan to work before their visas are officially processed. You’re also off on your own in securing housing, opening a bank account, getting a phone number etc. if you arrive from overseas. Terrible communication between schools and BOEs in terms of working expectations. They expect you to prepare lessons weeks, even months in advance. The company doesn’t care about students learning English, they just want to have students be entertained by an English speaker. They only care about keeping their contracts with the BOEs. You will not progress as a teacher because they place many restrictions on how you can teach, and students won’t be progressing either because with the way contracts are set up, you will be meeting with the same class only once a week to once every few months depending on where you teach. Lesson plans and materials provided are archaic and useless. The “training” they provide is a joke and will not prepare you to teach unless you already have teaching experience. High turnover rate, and you are easily disposable. They might be rather new, but in terms of dispatch companies they are by far one of the worst and their sickening reputation needs to be accounted for and made aware of to anyone interested in working as an ALT in Japan.

Advice to Management

Like other reviews have said, get out of the education business entirely. Have a complete company restructure and actually hire competent working staff.

NPO GLAD2018-09-14
  10. "Small and friendly"

I worked at NPO GLAD full-time

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and the people there really care about the teachers. Since it's a small company, the staff goes out of their way to help the ALTs.

Cons

Not knowing whether or not you have a job for the next academic year when your contract is up (but this happens with all ALT companies/ organisations except for JETs).

Advice to Management

Try to listen more to the voices of the ALTs. It really helps to know that someone cares about what happens to us.

NPO GLAD2018-08-03