NPR Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.9
NPR President and CEO Jarl Mohn
Jarl Mohn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Tiny Desk concerts in your workplace (in 17 reviews)

• You are constantly meeting fascinating people, not to mention the Tiny Desk Concerts are a great perk of the job (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Only very few interns get hired full-time, low pay (in 11 reviews)

• There is very little respect for or understanding of member stations on NPR's editorial side (in 5 reviews)

"Creative work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative atmosphere, wonderful colleagues! Challenging work, but keeps you on your A game. Loved most of my time spent at NPR, with the exception of some very low periods of management transition.

Cons

Bureaucracy is sometimes stifling. They move slow in certain areas. Back end support systems and processes are antiquated. No clarity on career path. Morale needs boosting often.

Advice to Management

Take more calculated risks to ensure NPR remains relevant and operational. Creative ideas don't only come from one are of the company or at one level - listen to the tribe!

2. "Summer Internship"

Current Intern - Photo Editing in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Photo Editing in Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and work environment. Energetic and young company culture. Flexible hours.

Cons

Sometimes not enough stuff to do if you don't pitch your own story. Sometimes there could be miscommunication.

3. "Good place to learn and network. Stay aware of issues kept hushed."

Former Employee - Development Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Building is state of the art and comes with many perks and benefits.
    -CEO is innovative, open minded and cares for employees.
    -Interesting people, work and conversations.

Cons

- Some older VPs have no communication ability when it comes to working with colleagues from younger generations.
    -Dramatic politics with hidden agendas that will ultimately deplete all working relationships with public tv counterparts and loyal donors.
    -Fishy use of staff and money for personal management interest that is bound to become exposed. Select top few leaders with ethics problems that will be exposed.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to let go of people in high level positions with power, who are known through the system to be causing whispers that will deplete your positive relationships, funding and trustworthiness internally. Rid your two toxic Vice Presidents. You know who they are.

4. "Amazing Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ability to write for NPR.org
    -They hire many interns as temps or FT employees
    -Opportunity to pitch ideas and learn
    -Free Tiny Desk Concerts

Cons

-FT employees are very busy and don't have time to teach you
    -There is not a lot of 'intern work' so sometimes I had to create my own work.

5. "NPR"

Current Employee - Correspondent in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Correspondent in Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good journalism. Good people and a devoted audience. Stable funding base in an industry that's seen a lot of turmoil. Room for growth within the company and a top-notch reputation in the industry.

Cons

Weak upper management. A lot of turnover at the top over the last decade has created uncertainty about the company's direction. Many different strategic changes over the last several years have cost money and jobs.

Advice to Management

Embrace the values that built public radio

"Smart, nice, mission-oriented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here really believe in the mission to create a better informed public through solid unbiased journalism. They take tech seriously. Information is shared pretty freely, and leadership both shares a lot of information (our exact bottom line, etc.) and really wants feedback. They're very open to remote work and flexible time.

Cons

It feels like a smaller organization in some ways, which is both good and bad. It's bad in the sense that we're constantly aware of budgetary constraints. This might just be because they had had a few straight years of running a deficit right before I got here.

Advice to Management

Keep on being as open as you are. Stay committed to going where the data leads you. Be responsive to requests for clarity about job roles.

"Room for improvement!"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful work culture, people are friendly, fun and professional. Tiny desks are super. Overall feels good to go to work everyday. People are open minded and respect the work.

Cons

NPR is quite disorganized, not good planners. Decision makers are certainly not diverse. There are also too many VPs and directors who don't do the daily work, and very few doers doing the work.

Advice to Management

Less thinking more doing. That director you are about to hire can possibly provide 3-4 people to help get the actual work done!

8. "Proofreader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, supportive environment, loved coming to work

Cons

None that I can think of

9. "Great internship, Great #TinyDesk"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Real experiences, True responsibility, Accessible staff, Delicious lunch, Gym membership, Potential hire.

Cons

Corporate functions don't always go hand-in-hand with the newsroom's operations.

"unsupported, ignored and received rude emails from the people i interned for"

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR as an intern

Pros

I think it varies which section/department/show you're with. It seems hat others have had better experiences.
    It's a big organization, so you can likely seek out at least a couple of people who you are excited about and who will be nice to you - a fair amount of freedom to forge your own path in terms of who you want to connect with, and what skills you want to learn. I had time to learn tons of audio production by just practicing when i was done with my other work.

Cons

My desk was a group of all white people creating content that is aggressively straight and white.
    Interns told to be 'neutral' in their actions and social media outside of work - but 'neutral' is very wrapped up in whiteness. We're told we're not allowed to attend black lives matter events, make social media posts supporting it, change facebook avatars to rainbow, etc. Very clear messages sent about who the intended staff and audience of npr are, who is welcome and who is not.

As an intern I was left on my own - my supervisor had a conversation with me about the internship about halfway through it to offer some advice and that was it. I was generally unwelcome and unsupported, received an mean email or two at times, was told i was able to contribute content and then they wouldn't even look at it and just kept saying they'd do it later. If i was given a task and had a question, i would have to email tons of people several times, no one would respond, and then they'd get mad at me after the fact for not accomplishing whatever the task was. I ended up going home crushed and crying many days. Worked 60 hours a week, but paid for 40 hours. Ended the internship exhausted and hating npr.

Advice to Management

Think more critically about power and privilege, about structural racism and the way it's perpetuated within the institution. Be more encouraging to interns and take less advantage of them. Clearer communication about what can or can't be expected from the internship.