NRC Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 15, 2016

Rating Trends Rating Trends
NRC Health CEO and Director Michael D. Hays
Michael D. Hays

"Great People, Questionable Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at NRC Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, work/life balance, travel autonomy (if you're on a sales or service team), and competitive benefits. Beer30 on Fridays!

Cons

For all the talk about being an "inside out" company, the new leadership does not seem to relate well to employees. There have been a lot of changes over the past 2 years and while they have not all been bad, a number of them have flown in the face of the company culture NRC used to pride itself on.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to manage people like they're people, not products. Provide more growth opportunities/career development for tenured employees.

Dec 8, 2016 – Director, Associate Talent

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We're doing our best to gather this type of information through our monthly on-line 'stay' surveys. If you haven't already, expect to receive one in the next ... More

"Desperately lacking in management leadership"

I worked at NRC Health full-time

Pros

Extremely flexible environment
    Nice co-workers
    Committed to patient experience and overall mission

Cons

Not a place for a high achiever
    Little direction, sorely lacking in management and performance metrics

3. "Good place"

Pros

Great culture, fun coworkers, lots of PTO

Cons

limited growth options, only ok pay

"Okay but not great long term"

I have been working at NRC Health full-time

Pros

The company has a very flexible work environment. In addition, a majority of the employees are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The company struggles with communication in general. The company vision and direction is unclear, and many employees are left without career advancement or development.

Advice to Management

One thought might be to actually sit down with the employees and ask them where they want to go and develop a plan around that or diagram out potential career paths.

Dec 21, 2015 – Director, Associate Talent

Thank you for your honest feedback. You're right - we do need to sit down with our associates and develop a career plan. We're working to encourage this throughout 2016. Stay tuned!

"Great mission, but..."

I worked at NRC Health full-time

Pros

Great company culture - Wonderful people, the employee events are a lot of fun, it's encouraged to celebrate a big sale or renewal with your team, etc.
    There are a lot of opportunities for nationwide travel (if you're in sales or possibly account management).
    You learn a lot about the healthcare industry and it's a great "foot in the door" for you, especially if you want to continue working in healthcare after your time at NRC.
    Benefits are good, the PTO is excellent (equivalent to four weeks per year) and you can use it whenever you want.

Cons

Very low salaries, takes months to earn your commissions from a renewal/sale, constant product change within the company (which can be a good thing or bad thing), not a lot of room for advancement, high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees!!! This could reduce your turnover rate tremendously, as a low salary and taking months to earn commissions can drive people to look elsewhere that is better-paying. Also, truly listen to your employees when they make any recommendations - not only do the account managers and BDM's know their product inside and out, this makes them feel heard. They know their stuff, so listen to what they have to say. There is tremendous potential for this company, but it all starts with your employees being happy and truly caring about the products.

"Great MIssion"

Former Employee - Nebraska in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Nebraska in Lincoln, NE

Pros

The client base is healtcare orgs like hospitals, nursing homes and assisted living facilities and it's great to help them improve their quality of care. Nice mission.

Cons

There is a revolving door of leadership. There is a trend of the good leaders leaving the company.

8. "Measurement Services Manager"

Pros

Great culture; everyone is very helpful & willing to answer any and all questions

Cons

Pay is low for the work that is expected
    People move on rather quickly

Advice to Management

Learn to offer pay raises

Sep 4, 2015 – Director, Associate Talent

We’re glad you enjoy our culture. Our outside-in, growth oriented, and associate empowered culture is something we want to broadcast throughout our communities. In terms of pay, we’re working to ... More

"Game of Thrones"

Former Employee - Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Lincoln, NE

I worked at NRC Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people trying to do a lot with little direction and not enough resources.

Cons

Leadership team is out of touch and ignorant of the day to day process. Every few years there is a major shake-up in culture and direction. Whichever "leader" or "leaders" survive are given a free hand to restructure portions of the company and many take the opportunity to punish perceived slights and old scores. As morale, productivity, and profits dip that group of leaders is swept away and a new group is promoted or brought in and the cycle starts over. In this company success is driven by who you know, not talent, hard-work, or results.

Advice to Management

You must have an empowered and independent HR department and HR leader. Many of the decisions that are made do not stand up to outside review. The reason why there is so little trust between associates and leadership are the arbitrary manner in which decisions are made. Bonuses, promotions, and even discipline are handed down based on the whim of whoever is holding the reins with little consistency.

"Good first job out of college, sales focused, systems out of date"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at NRC Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits okay - PTO & health insurance
    Respect for work-life balance
    Great opportunities to take on responsibility quickly
    Strong sense of autonomy

Cons

Compensation for service associates is not comparable to that for sales
    Very little investment is made in updating systems
    Very little career growth or associate development

Advice to Management

Invest the resources to update systems

"Underground culture is great, it's what keeps us going when we have to deal with lack of coordinated management."

Pros

Individuals are great. Good people who like to work and like to have fun.

Cons

Leadership does not communicate with the associates, or even each other sometimes. It's a struggle to keep up with a direction they don't share or only share in bits and pieces. People leave because they are frustrated, and they do not get replaced. We are too busy trying to cover all the daily work to really make plans for client retention and product research.

Advice to Management

You have some great big ideas, but we need the internal tools, communication, and number of people to make you ideas a reality. It's hard for associates to feel like you trust them or care about them, they get frustrated, so they leave.