NRDC Reviews

Updated Sep 15, 2020

NRDC President and Chief Executive Officer Gina McCarthy
Gina McCarthy
Pros
  • "NRDC did a lot to make the work environment as productive as possible(in 13 reviews)

• "Lots of lifelong employees and many women in management because the work-life balance is top notch(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "non profit, low salary, high tunrover,(in 7 reviews)

• "There is limited room for upward mobility for entry to mid level employees(in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Company - Great Co-workers"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NRDC full-time

Pros

- The work you do makes a substantial impact - Leadership looks out for employees - Your co-workers are team players - Great benefits

Cons

- Difficult to be promoted without an advanced degree - Managers sometimes don't know how much work you do

2. "Experience depends wholly on your team"

2.0
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NRDC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission. Everyone truly believe in it, and it's an amazing energy knowing your doing something that helps the world. The PAs are an incredibly supportive, smart and fun team. There are the occasional nice perks, such as professional development funds received annual, funded educational trips, and funded office DEI groups.

Cons

Your experience depends on the team you work for. Managers live and die by decision autonomy, which brews a very toxic environment because there are few checks and balances. Managers were only able to be promoted in the org by taking on managerial duties - which few are competent for or even show a desire to learn the skills. This role is created for post-college grads who need a couple years of experience before moving on (you're literally told it's a 2-year position and you should go elsewhere if you want a promotion). I strongly advise you to avoid this company if you do not fit into this description. Your experience will greatly depend on the people you work for directly, and this is an office full of politicians, scientists and lawyers.

3. "Getting better"

Current Employee - Program Assistant II in Washington, DC

I have been working at NRDC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-New CEO Gina McCarthy -Committed to working towards diversity, equity, inclusion - the work is meaningful

Cons

- Program Assistants not given many opportunities to advance in their careers within NRDC, resulting in high turnover.

4. "Smart folks, good work environment."

5.0
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager

I have been working at NRDC full-time

Pros

Employees are bright, driven, and mission-oriented. Industry-leading salaries help prevent constant staff turnover, a regular challenge for most non-profit organizations.

Cons

There's always more work than time.

5. "Great Work Environment"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I worked at NRDC full-time for more than a year

Pros

NRDC did a lot to make the work environment as productive as possible. It was a relaxing work environment and a lot of important work was done

Cons

Not much of an opportunity climbing up the ladder

"Committed and Kind, but in Need of Equity Update"

Former Employee - Program Assistant

I worked at NRDC full-time

Pros

I have never had a better job. I looked forward to seeing my coworkers and felt completely respected and strongly supported by my supervisors. I felt committed to the mission and believed in the organization's ability to do the work well. The attorneys I supported invited me into substantive issues that I found interesting and encouraged me to pursue career growth. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity this job provided for me to begin a career in this field. Healthcare benefit is very good and most programs respect need to work from home or support moving to less than full-time to accommodate families.

Cons

Salary offers take advantage of applicants' desire to support the mission. So, to those applying for entry level positions, NEGOTIATE YOUR SALARY. The initial offer is made with the EXPECTATION that you will ask for and receive more. Even if you've never held a similar position and have always wanted to work for this org, negotiate. They will not withdraw the offer and other PAs I know successfully increased their salaries through offer negotiations. The organization has struggled to provide an inclusive and equitable environment. Leadership is almost all white, as are most of the people in advocacy positions, while employees of color tend to hold positions within development, hr, accounting, and other support departments. Most employees recognize this as a huge problem, but the organization has taken only minimal steps to make necessary changes. I see a push to change messaging around environmental justice and the Big Green groups' history of whitewashing and racism, which I appreciate, but not a response to employee requests for a shift in the internal culture. Different programs treat program assistants with different levels of respect. Every PA I met was overqualified for her (most women in these support roles) work and took the position to get a foot in the door at the organization. However, many programs overwork their PAs with administrative tasks that supervisors could accomplish more efficiently on their own if they took the time to learn how. This keeps PAs from engaging with the organization's mission and from taking advantage of opportunities for career growth. Further, while I was there, salaries for support staff were inadequate and HR horrible to deal with whenever this problem was raised.

7. "Good place"

Current Employee - Development Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NRDC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people and a good work environment

Cons

No upward mobility for low level employees

"Grew Too Fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NRDC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The smartest, most passionate colleagues I've ever had. Those that work in programs and litigation are some of the most talented lawyers, scientists, and policy experts in the world.

Cons

After the Trump election, NRDC sought to position itself like ACLU and Planned Parenthood; on the frontlines of our nation's defense. The problem is that up until that point, NRDC had been operating like a medium-sized, middle of the road environmental non-profit (which they are). They were completely unprepared for the rapid growth, and expanded quickly without 1) enough staff 2) enough structure to succeed. Now, we're looking backwards trying to figure out how to solve all the problems that it may be too late to fix.

Continue reading
  9. "Smart people, big place"

Former Employee - Program Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NRDC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart people, advanced expertise, connected

Cons

disparate management, too federally focused

Continue reading
  10. "Lots of great people"

Current Employee - Communications

I have been working at NRDC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of great people work here, we do some great work and there's a commitment to being more inclusive, diverse and equitable.

Cons

There are some bureaucratic issues and due to the size of the org, change can be slow.

Found 101 reviews