NRECA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
NRECA CEO Jim Matheson
Jim Matheson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company to work for, they have great benefits" (in 13 reviews)

• "Really appreciated the work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Major changes taking place with new CEO have created an unstable feel" (in 8 reviews)

• "The breadth of services is very wide for a single organization, making it easy to form silos in certain areas" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Awesome Experience"

Pros

Great pay, good experience, knowledgeable management

Cons

No cons that I can think of!

2. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office space. Free coffee.

Cons

The cubicles are small. Had to wear tie.

"Non-profit trade association advocating for rural communities and issues"

Former Employee - Retirement Education Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Retirement Education Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent mission, working for access of those in rural communities to basic utilities specifically electricity, but partnering with others to include water, phone and internet.

Best benefits package of any employer I’ve ever had. Well-managed retirement funds; encourages active, healthy lifestyles; focus on employee wellness and recognizes employee contributions.

Cons

I truly enjoyed every aspect of working at this association. If I hadn’t left the area due to family obligations, I believe I would still be working there today.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate to employees about the history and ongoing legacy of the REA and how and why the mission is still relevant. NRECA has always been a leader in workforce management and innovation. Strive to maintain that edge and you will always attract and retain a loyal and dedicated workforce!

4. "IT"

I worked at NRECA full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, they have great benefits

Cons

some of their technology is obsolete. Need to upgrade to a better system

Advice to Management

Give employees that work at the company an opportunity for upward mobility as opposed to looking outside of orgnaization

"Good company, great mission, poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of the co-ops and NRECA is a great one. The people who work here are typically great people and fun to work with. The benefits package is off-the-hook good.

Cons

As others have said, the company has been moving to a very hierarchical management structure, and anyone who does not "kiss the ring" as others have said, is squashed hard. There is almost no guidance on what you are supposed to do and what the key priorities are and how you should implement those in your day-to-day activities. Not much chance to promotion as people never leave. Either do a stint and move on, or come here for your last job.

Advice to Management

Perform 360 surveys of the employees and let go the managers that do not garner STRONG approval from their employees. You have a very smart and dedicated staff who genuinely care about your mission, but most of your managers either do not have a clue how to lead (not manage) or are temperamentally unsuited to their position. Honestly, it is time for a serious look at all key staff and their competence to LEAD. While I feel that Jim has done a pretty good job of maintaining the status quo, he has not addressed the growing dissaitisfaction among the employees (if he is even aware as he is VERY removed) and as such I have to give him a down-rating.

"Member-driven, National cooperative trade association"

I worked at NRECA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a member-driven, organization, that espouses and lives by cooperative principles and values; great benefits and long-term employment culture

Cons

Very autocratic senior leadership pyramid; too many silos; member cooperatives are from predominantly “red states”; national support for coal power plants; it vehemently opposed all Obama administration proposed regulations to combat climate change

"Jumped From a Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The organization has a great mission and members. The pension plan and health benefits--at least when I was employed at NRECA--were very generous. NRECA, with the right leadership, has the ability to become great again.

Cons

I departed the organization when a new CEO and her staff took over--both who were incompetent and over their heads--from a long-term, highly admired, and exceptional CEO. The organization quickly imploded, with highly accomplished leaders either forced out or choosing to leave. The CEO, hiding behind hired-gun organizational consultants, needlessly scorched-earth the engaged culture of the organization and replaced it with kiss-the-ring favoritism, encouraged in-fighting, and forced loyalty disguised under a veneer of so-called "collaboration." Staff who remained were in a Lord of the Flies battle for their careers and pensions as well as garnering attention from the new CEO, resulting in significant back-stabbing and a demoralization of a once outstanding organization. Those who curried favor with the new administration were rewarded with promotions and salaries far beyond their abilities. I chose to leave because it had become a highly toxic environment, staying true to my values is more important to me than kowtowing to keep a job, and I couldn't support the way the organization was being run into the ground. Due to an unfortunate health matter with the new CEO, a replacement CEO was hired roughly a year later. I'm hopeful that he has begun the process of righting the ship; however, with many incompetent leaders still entrenched, turning the organization around will be a challenge and staff will continue to suffer in terms of morale and upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Replace the leaders who were promoted into their positions of incompetence by the prior CEO, focus on the mission of the organization and the members, and bring financial stability back to the organization.

"Director"

I worked at NRECA full-time

Pros

If you are looking for a place to retire from that doesn't offer a lot of stress from work/workload - this is the place

Cons

Not cutting edge or innovative work. Young professionals will not be challenged nor is there room for growth.

9. "Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

Pros

I loved everyone on my team! I learned so much and had the best time!

Cons

NRECA was the best.

"Communicaitons Specialist"

I have been working at NRECA full-time

Pros

great company with great potential

Cons

work on the shadow of operations

Advice to Management

value all employees equally