NRECA Reviews

3.5
NRECA CEO Jim Matheson
Jim Matheson
Pros
Cons
  • "Major changes taking place with new CEO have created an unstable feel(in 7 reviews)

• "Too many politics and senior management needs to prioritize and understand what is happening across the board(in 5 reviews)

1. "Mature organization with fantastic benefits and mission"

5.0

I have been working at NRECA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, great location, meaningful mission that helps rural communities and international electrification. Colleagues are passionate and professional.

Cons

Would be better to have true parental leave instead of that folding into STD policy. Not a transient DC workforce so expect to come and stay, and not get promoted every year.

"Incompetent people at the helm"

1.0
    Current Employee - IT Support in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NRECA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are employed by NRECA, you get some good benefits like a pension and a 401k and basic health/dental/vision insurance. Not if you are a contractor.

Cons

Stay away! Whether you a fully employed NRECA or a contract you are at the leadership or lack thereof, of NRECA chief officers. Middle and low management if just as bad if not worse. They have no true leadership or management training. Many of them are given the management position after begging for it without any qualifications to get it. They cry, "I've been here x number of years, I deserve this management positions" They'll stab you in the back to make themselves look good. Like lie to their supervisors to blame someone then they are the ones in charge. All level of management don't know how to properly and clearly communicate their expectations and needs to perform the work. A lot of contention between teams and sections. No one has your back. A lot of internal cliques, breeds more contention between sections and teams. Management encourages cliques and they muddy the water by spreading rumors. A lot of rumors spreading especially from low & middle management. Top executive management only care about making the rural electric companies happy but about how the internal organization functions. IT and security department personnel are hacking their own people without cause. They operate in Virginia, so they terminate people all the time without having to need a real cause. Supervisors will lie to future employers when they reach out to them for a employment verification. Make sure you record everything you do to cover yourself from all the lies they tell. BAD! VERY BAD!!

NRECA Response

June 2, 2020Director of Talent Management

We are sorry to hear that this was your experience at NRECA. This is not typical of the feedback we receive from our employees and we would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your concerns. We take your comments seriously. Please feel free to reach out to us via phone at 703-907-5610, or email at humanresources@nreca.coop.

"This organization needs a revamp and better leadership"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are excellent and competitive

Cons

Poor middle and upper management

Continue reading

"Needs more diversity but won't because they are compliant."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits, pay and schedule flexibility are pros.

Cons

Lack of diverse people including women. The people who work here seem a bit judgemental and uncomfortable around people of color, until they "have" to interact with them. The diversity and inclusion committee is a joke. They only value you when you are an asset to them.

"Leadership issues"

1.0
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location, retirement plans, coworkers are supportive.

Cons

The worst part of NRECA is its leadership team. The CEO has been asleep at the wheel, not practicing any leadership and letting his senior executives fight each other and causing silos. Many of these executives have been there for years and are just collecting a paycheck. Good luck if you decide to call this your work home.

NRECA Response

September 9, 2019Director of Talent Management

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are sorry that any part of your experience working at NRECA was a negative one. We take the feedback of our employees seriously and are constantly striving to improve operations and work more effectively together. Our recent employee engagement survey results were in the top quartile and we know we must work hard to continue receiving high positive scores from our employees. The senior leadership team and our entire organization are committed to creating an environment that facilitates successful collaboration in our ongoing efforts to add value to our members. If you have any further suggestions or specific insights on how we can do better, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly.

"Product Manager"

I have been working at NRECA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family oriented, great benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Could be a little too methodical in decision making

"Good place lots of internal harmless politics"

4.0

I have been working at NRECA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice people in the office

Cons

Lots of internal politicking and nonsense

"Highly recommend"

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NRECA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission serving the interest of electric cooperatives and the communities they serve. Generous benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Can be difficult to advance

"Investment & Retirement Planner"

4.0

I have been working at NRECA full-time

Pros

First class collegial atmosphere throughout organization.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic at times.

10. "Excellent"

I have been working at NRECA full-time

Pros

Friendly, Flexible, open office, Take care of employees

Cons

Nothing i can think of

Found 94 reviews