NRECA Reviews | Glassdoor

NRECA Reviews

Updated April 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Too many politics and senior management needs to prioritize and understand what is happening across the board (in 7 reviews)

• Salary and hiring freeze, limited career advancement opportunities (in 3 reviews)

"Good for early-mid career professionals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits. Nice people and mission. Reasonably stable. Good place to be if you want a long career at one company and develop deep expertise at your job. Recommend to start early-mid career to truly gain benefits.

Cons

Slower to change. Not a lot of movement inside the company. The Association part of the organization and the Insurance and Financial Services part of the organization are very different. Can take a while to get up-to-speed.

Advice to Management

Take care to foster new employees beyond the initial orientation sessions and up to 3 years.

2. "Healhcare consultant"

Current Employee - Healthcare Consultang in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Consultang in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employees and corporate mission.

Cons

Generally a good place to work.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - BSR in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - BSR in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very caring place to work for and the mission/vision of the company is like no other company I've worked for before!

Cons

None! Like all companies, there are ups and downs but it's the best place I've ever been!! I thought the grass was greener elsewhere but came back to NRECA within 2 years!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are extremely competent and willing to take time to enhance your growth and development as an employee. Everyone is friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed

Cons

Specifically in my department, upper management is extremely disengaged, pretending to create employee engagement, but not even showing up to events or recognizing hard work when it's put it. Also can be closed off to new ideas, even if they would greatly improve current processes. This isn't the case with all departments and especially the CEO office is determined to make it a great place to work and implement new ideas.

Advice to Management

Senior Leaders should listen more to employees and if you're going to try to make employees engaged, start with yourself. Closing your door all day doesn't make people feel like they work in a positive environment. Middle managers are great - they work hard and should be rewarded and encouraged to enhance processes, not thwarted from creating new ideas.

"NRECA"

Former Employee - Client Services Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Client Services Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at NRECA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous pay and very good benefits. 401k match and pension plan for all employees. Verynice people to work with.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for advancement because the company is so small. There is no incentive for employees. No bonuses or recognition for a job well done. Employees who underperform are not held accountable.

NRECA Response

Nov 3, 2015 – Employer Representative

From peer-to-peer recognition cards to achievement awards with a cash value, we're committed to offering incentive and reward programs to let our 780 employees know how much we value them. At NRECA ... More

"NRECA is a great place to be"

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaboration at the project level across all parts of NRECA. Fun serving our membership and helping them provide safe, reliable and affordable electricity to rural and suburban America! Organization is looking to the future and investing in their workforce programs to create a culture that empowers employees and opens the discussion between manager and supervisor.

Cons

No real cons ... all upside from my perspective. The company is going through a lot of change and with change comes some resistance. Sometimes this can be stressful, but if you understand that you are "living" the change, then you can acknowledge and appreciate the resistance and know that it is just a phase.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging and empowering your growing leaders. Push them out to build their own relationships with the members ... new relationships. Facilitate the engagement of NRECA's next generation leadership with the next generation of co-op leadership.

"A fresh perspective"

Current Employee - Virginia in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Virginia in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization truly believes in balancing life with work; not just a slogan
    Current leadership "gets it" and recognizes areas where improvements are needed

Cons

Policies and procedures, and certain software systems, need to be updated;
    No bonuses (but overall compensation is competitive)

Advice to Management

Don't lose momentum in driving for changes, but don't fall into trap of "jingoism" either. Make Managers manage their people as well as their mission.

"sr director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA

Pros

great people, membership that the organization served is full of talented individuals.

Cons

no advancement
    institution designed to protect itself

"Sr. Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. People care.
    2. What we do matters in the lives of others.
    3. At NRECA, relationships are important and people are encouraged to discuss options in order to get to the right answer for our members.
    4. Benefits are good.
    5. Professional development is encouraged.

Cons

Processes can be a little confining (although overall for the right reasons).

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and walk the floors to talk to others where they work.

"Senior Director"

I have been working at NRECA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is honorable using the cooperative business model to provide electricity to 42 million people through consumer owned rural electric cooperatives. Also, the democratic process whereby the consumers elect the Boards of the cooperatives and the cooperatives elect the Boards of the National and Statewide organizations. I also enjoy working with the members, who are down to earth and really nice people and also working with most of the NRECA staff, that care about the mission and are really trying hard to make the organization successful. The benefits are fantastic, in particular the pension plan. Some of the executives and managers are competent and are trying hard in spite of being hampered by the CEO and her 2nd in command (the COO).

Cons

I agree with an earlier posting that said that in a little over one year NRECA went from one of the best places to work to one of the worst places to work This is due to the fact that the new CEO and her 2nd in command (COO) has no substance and experience in leading an organization the size and complexity of NRECA. Before joining NRECA two years ago the CEO was a Congresswoman and the Chief Operating Officer was her Chief of Staff. Currently decisions are being made by the CEO and COO on the basis of internal politics, favoritism and bad information. They simply do not have the experience and knowledge to make good business decisions that benefit our members. Nor do they have the experience to ask the right questions and to analyze the needed information to make a good decision. For example, the CEO promoted her former Chief of Staff to the Chief Operating Officer position at NRECA. He has a degree in journalism and, as her Chief of Staff, managed a staff of approximately 12 clerical people. He simply does not have the experience, knowledge, or academic credentials to be the COO of an organization the size of NRECA with approximately 800 staff and an annual operating budget of over $300 million. Decisions like this based on favoritism as well as her general lack of leadership experience, people management experience and business knowledge have resulted in chaos at NRECA and a very demoralized staff. Most of the executives and managers are afraid to speak up and are just going along. Some very competent staff, both short-term and long-term staff, have left the organization. Many staff are currently looking for a new job. Many are staying because of the fringe benefits, in particular the pension plan. The culture has changed dramatically over the last two years whereby staff use to work together for a mission that they were passionate about. Now staff are just watching for themselves and are hunkered down trying to just survive. Staff engagement and morale is way down. The Board should ask the CEO for the latest Blessing White engagement study, which will prove the points that I am making here. The previous CEO left NRECA in great shape financially and with a very strong staff. The organization is slipping fast and I do not see much hope for positive change with the current leadership in the CEO office.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the Board. We all make mistakes in hiring. Please recognize that a mistake was made in hiring the current CEO and replace the CEO and the COO with the leadership that the organization desperately needs to be successful. You owe it to the membership to make this needed change.