NSF International Reviews | Glassdoor

NSF International Reviews

Updated Jan 3, 2020

2.9
NSF International President Kevan P Lawlor (no image)
Kevan P Lawlor
Pros
  • "NSF International has very great work environment and people(in 15 reviews)

• "The team I worked in is comprised of great people and everyone gets along well(in 13 reviews)

Cons

"Fantastic laboratories for entry-level employees"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSF International full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Challenging workloads *A good work ethic gets you far *Competitive base pay, excellent benefits

Cons

*Higher than average turnover. Employee goals are not extremely relevant, aside from consideration for promotions and raises.

NSF International2019-08-23
  2. "Good people to work with"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at NSF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, reasonable work-life balance. If you get to travel for business, you are treated well.

Cons

Pay is on the low side. Departments are siloed. Turnover tends to be pretty high if you're not at the top.

NSF International2020-01-03

"It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSF International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of freedom and flexibility. Fantastic mission to work for. I have the best colleagues and love coming to work.

Cons

Top management seems extremely old school and disconnected. They say they want to pursue innovation but I don’t think they even know what that looks like.

Advice to Management

Think bigger and for the love of god invest in IT.

NSF International2019-12-06
  4. "Good company"

Former Employee - Technician

I worked at NSF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth and advancement, fair benefits

Cons

Can be highly demanding, at times management does not seem to ally with entry level employees

NSF International2019-11-27

"An environment so toxic, if so many lives were not negatively affected, it'd be comical."

I worked at NSF International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free pop. No, really. That's it.

Cons

Poor treatment of employees; unreasonable workloads; poor compensation and literally everything else.

Advice to Management

I worked for NSF for several years and I am being completely truthful when I say that it was the most unpleasant experience of my career.  I hope that senior management reviews this site and that they understand that the NSF culture is broken--and they should be aware, alarmed and ashamed of what they do to their employees. I want to address NSF management for a moment:  A satisfaction rating of 2.9 out of 5 not good, guys.  You can spend money on trying to maintain an image of respectability in the community and the various industries in which you serve, but that can only go so far.  Current and former employees talk and your reputation is well-known.  Your workplace culture is defined by intimidation, mistreatment and bullying.  To reiterate, YOUR CULTURE IS BROKEN.  I hope you understand this--because this is not hyperbole.  You have a real, legitimate problem.  I am one of countless people who can list incomprehensibly unethical, unfair and cruel things that happened to me as an employee in your organization. I can only imagine what others have been through. I am grateful for my experience, though.  I mean this genuinely.  It taught me that life can be unfair and unkind. Let's be real--no one is perfect.  I know I am not and I cannot claim to be. The difference is, you DO claim to be.  The end result of NSF's work is meaningful and valuable.  The manner in which it is accomplished is not.  There are genuinely kind and decent people there, but their goodness and virtue are overshadowed by the greed and maliciousness of the rest. I want you to do better and I want you to be who you say you are.  I truly do.  Because of my negative experience, I chose to go down a different path.  I got my Masters in organizational leadership and I have devoted my career to establishing a work environment of appreciation, respect and fairness--all of which your culture so clearly lacks.  Current and former employees don't write well thought out reviews out of boredom.  There is a reason for your rating.  Even if some of these reviews are unwarranted and written by lousy employees with a bone to pick, there cannot be this many without a valid reason. For potential job seekers, proceed with caution.  You will absolutely gain relevant and useful work experience, but at a cost.  Only you can decide what is best for you.  If you do accept a position here, it is wise to view it as temporary.  They certainly do.  Use your time there to learn about the industry and how to work with different personality types.  I wish you the best in your job search.

NSF International2019-12-30

"Rudderless ship"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at NSF International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary is at the mid to upper end of spectrum for position. Total freedom.

Cons

Very little collaboration or organization. Sold jobs for them which they couldn't staff. Went months without hearing from leadership.

Advice to Management

Get the place in order or risk clients going elsewhere.

NSF International2019-11-21
  7. "NSF is what you make of it"

I have been working at NSF International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Contrary to what some others may say, there is a lot of growth opportunity. There isn’t a clear path, and it won’t be handed to you on a silver platter, but it’s there if you can conceive it and execute it.

Cons

We are in a period of change which can breed feelings of insecurity and instability.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold your leaders accountable through action.

NSF International2019-10-26

"Not promoting from within"

in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSF International for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours and work from home opportunities. Free pop, nice cafeteria at HQ.

Cons

Don’t expect to get promoted to senior levels, even if you get perfect performance reviews and work harder than everyone else. It simply doesn’t matter. The senior leadership doesn’t seem to care about the message this sends to employees, or that it is very bad for morale (or else it hasn’t occurred to them). It seems like they are looking for some magic bullet from the outside to turn things around— this has happened in multiple departments. Also had multiple high level firings. Just depressing.

NSF International2019-11-05

"Support Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at NSF International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Health benefits, free pop, and on-site gym.

Cons

No support and no work life balance. You're over worked and under paid. No room for growth. Senior staff make a fortune and go on luxury trips. While the workers get less than 5% bonuses.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more. Career growth opportunities, better leave of absence policy, better bonuses and pay. Get rid of senior staffs insane bonuses and luxury trips and share the wealth with your workers who do all the hard task. You're a not for profit but the CEO makes almost a million a year (including 3 figure bonuses)?!

NSF International2019-10-27

"Microbiology Lab"

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at NSF International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free pop, gym access, unlimited pens, markers and sticky notes. Absolutely nothing whatsoever at all ever for infinity and beyond and back again.

Cons

Management and work environment resembles a Chuck-E-Cheese. The pay. Opportunity for advancement. Getting screwed over. Management picking favorites. Major safely concerns happening daily but management is too busy worrying about the placement of a drink cart. Anyways, it doesn’t matter the micro lab will be shut down sooner than later.

Advice to Management

No use.

NSF International2019-10-25