NTN Buzztime Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Ram Krishnan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent work life balance, fun atmosphere, but busy work (in 8 reviews)

• Great location in North San Diego (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communications gap between core employees and upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Heavy employee and management churn (in 3 reviews)

1. "Smart, motivated coworkers all dedicated to making a great product."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people who challenge you constructively, fun products to work on, lots of opportunities to get noticed, great health care plan, lots of focus on core values.

Cons

There aren't a lot of lunch options within walking distance, and some parking lot trees drip sap on cars along the outer row.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people, stay focused on the big picture and don't get distracted by short term opportunities.

"Serious Leadership Issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They used to have company bbq's, game day on Fridays, and there was a relaxed vibe in the office. Casual attire, veteran employees were very kind.

Cons

Leadership was a hot mess while I worked there. The C-Suite staff were working to get the company in line, but the COO and the Sales & Marketing upper management were either incompetent or just in over their heads. Almost nobody had received a raise in years even just to keep up with inflation. They hired most upper management from outside the company, passing over those who had worked in the company.

Advice to Management

Decide whether you're a family-friendly company or a tech company. Trust employees and actually follow through after the employee 360 review process. Follow your own set of corporate values.

3. "Don't work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Fun colleagues , nice location

Cons

Managers who throw their team under the bus to save themselves. Promising technology that could not be delivered on. Made me look bad in from of well established clients

Advice to Management

teach people how to sell the product, not fire them for not having the right skills to get job done

4. "Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NTN Buzztime full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, seems to be improving

Cons

Constant changes, not all for good. Instability

"Lack of direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Generally low-stress environment. Great location in North San Diego. Lots of opportunities for self-starters to define their own roles.

Cons

Shifting management priorities. Lack of direction. Projects cancelled or "pivoted" when nearing completion. Communications gap between core employees and upper management. Stock price stagnant - lots of overhead from being a public company. Heavy employee and management churn.

Advice to Management

Build better, more compelling games. Focus on your specialty - trivia and knowledge-based games. Recognize and exploit the value of Buzztime as a data-gathering tool for customers. Stop trying to go in so many directions that aren't paying off. Find a way to better incentivize, manage, and retain great employees; improve middle management and vertical communications. Stop talking about culture and values and focus on getting the jobs done. (You asked us to be honest in our reviews!)

Feb 21, 2016 – NTN Buzztime

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. We are disappointed that your experience has fallen short of your expectation. It takes time to build a strong foundation... More

6. "Good casual culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a very employee focused culture in a casual environment. The benefits are very good, and the company sponsored cookouts are an awesome perk as well. I only left because I needed a job change, nothing against the company.

Cons

The only opportunity for improvement is training. I felt that the training for my job was 100% OJT and no real technical training, which made my job more of a challenge than necessary.

Advice to Management

Make improvements on training new employees. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

7. "Start-Up Mentality with 30 Years of Tradition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

- Amazing leaders who lead by example (actions speak louder than words). It is rare to find an executive team that focuses on their employees well-being as much as Buzztime does. The leaders are the first ones in and last ones out.
    - Fantastic benefits and work environment. Leaders and senior management are consistently coming up with ways to make work more enjoyable.
    - Great hours, great friends, and fantastic work-life balance.
    - Co-workers quickly become friends, and friends quickly become family. It isn't rare to see groups of individuals hanging out after work together.

Cons

- No onsite gym; need a better wellness program

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going- the future is bright!

Nov 18, 2015 – NTN Buzztime

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are working hard on building values throughout the organization. I’m glad you’re enjoying the experience. Thanks again, we truly value your feedback.

8. "Stay the course"

Former Employee - TSR/Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - TSR/Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After many years of constant change (especially in upper management) it finally looks like there are some senior leaders that have the ability to make the changes needed to put Buzztime back on the map. Great people to work with and sad to have to leave and relocate.

Cons

Lots of negativity around the office from people that do not want to change with the times and would rather complain about the past than move towards the future.

Advice to Management

Celebrate the small wins and know that it takes time to change old habits. You are doing something right, so just keep doing whatever you are doing. Keep listening to the employees because they have insight that you cannot gain from being in upper management.

Nov 18, 2015 – NTN Buzztime

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel. We view our team members as our number one priority and I’m so glad you found we’re making a difference. Thank you again, and we wish you... More

"The new buzztime is not the old buzztime"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Its been a tumultuous ride, but very optimistic about where we are heading. The slackers and bad managers are being dealt with or leaving on their own and we’re building and delivering exciting new things again. Executives seem very committed to the company and have made a big effort to communicate more and be transparent with both success and failures. We have values i can believe in and hope to see that continue to be how we work.

Cons

Things are changing, so that’s always hard as some people don’t get on board and that can slow us down. We have years of ignored problems to fix and we can't let people get in the way of doing things the way we always have.

Advice to Management

Don’t take the pedal off of the gas, and hold everyone accountable. We are capable of great things, don't lose your faith and keep hiring great people.

Sep 30, 2015 – NTN Buzztime

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. We view our team members as our number one priority and I’m so glad you found we’re making a difference. Thanks again, we... More

"Too little, too late"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at NTN Buzztime (More than 8 years)

Pros

The weather is nice, and there is plenty of parking.
    Games are a fun industry, even if these are very old.
    Nobody really cares what you are doing, as long as you agree with management.

Cons

Years behind the competition when it comes to basic services.
    The technology is really old - and the products are very rarely used by consumers. Most people have much better products already on their phones.
    The systems are constantly broken - because some of the parts were not made right. Had to be made again. This caused major problems - both with cash and customer satisfaction.
    Non-existent sales, shrinking footprint. Not a single major client signed in two years, while competitors are signing dozens of deals.
    Leadership team is not experienced enough to deal with a company in this much trouble, is often arrogant, self-interested, and has made terrible decisions with no accountability.

Advice to Management

Sell the company as quickly as possible. This business is dying - and the process is only accelerating. Just look at the quarterly filings and you will see the ugly reality - a shrinking customer base, shrinking player base, and shrinking revenue. Nothing you are doing to the product or organizationally will even get you close to competitive, no matter how much you convince yourself otherwise. Anyone debating joining this company is putting an expiration date on their own career - this company will be either out of business or will be firesold within 12-18 months.

Nov 16, 2015 – NTN Buzztime

Thank you for participating on our Glassdoor page. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.