NV Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Paul Caudill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is very clicky, if you don't know someone, you will not advance in the company (in 3 reviews)

• The department I worked in was 99% typical office work with revising documents, printing files, and sending emails (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"For experienced professionals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is strong and has many opportunities and avenues to work in. The compensation is great and work life balance in many departments is better than most companies. Definitely a drive for success in the organization. You could definitely make a lifetime career here, as many have.

Cons

Not necessarily the best place for entry-level employees in professional positions. Tough to get into the company if you are less-skilled or didn't have intern experience.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback!

2. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Promote Within
    -Great staff
    -Lots of volunteer opportunities

Cons

-Customers can call you out because they don't like the electric company

3. "Retiree medical insurance under age 65"

Pros

That it was offered for eligible employee's at one time.

Cons

The 2018 enrollment period is here and the monthly payment has gone up an extra $60.00 a month.

Advice to Management

This is not acceptable for retirees who have dedicated years of service to this company. No wonder we have insurance issues around the country when NV Energy cannot take care of their own and sending them out on the street to find affordable insurance from other vendors.

4. "HELL ON EARTH"

I worked at NV Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. None. None. None. None.

Cons

I should have payed attention to the reviews. In my 20 years of employment with several other companies this has to be the worst. Zero stars would be the exact rating of this company. Many manager's bosses are in other states and have no idea how and what exactly they a are doing and treating their employees. Unfortunately, when managers are treating their reports like dirt under their shoe, nothing is done. HR is a joke! You basically just started an investigation against yourself. The turn over rate for certain departments are insane. Especially when soon to be retirees are forced to quit early, because the manager is making their life hell.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees' complaints especially when the entire department looks for help. The trail of former employees' complaints should be obvious signs. Your managers are not saints. They are forcing people to seek psychiatric help.

"Senior Power Trader"

Current Employee - Senior Power Trader in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Power Trader in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay for Nevadans, good benefits and employment opportunities throughout the other sister companies. Pro-union company

Cons

Company believes in doing more work with less people. When BHE took over company's employee total was at 4,000+. As of today company has less than 2,500 employees. Management's lack of knowledge of jobs that report to them

Advice to Management

Take the time to understand the jobs you manage. Learn to distribute the work load on a case by case basis

Sep 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback!

6. "Gets paid 7k less than I'm worth"

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most people are great to working with.

Cons

It's who you know not how well you do

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, supportive environment to work. Being a new employee can be tough; however, everyone that I have encountered at NV Energy, in my new role, has been willing to offer advice, training, and patience as I navigate my way through my new responsibilities. My co-workers are friendly and willing to help. My director takes the time to ensure I have the tools I need to be successful. Overall, I am very pleased to be part of the NV Energy team.

Cons

In all honesty I haven't found a con about working at NV Energy.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Great to hear this kind of information!

8. "Politics and More Politics"

I have been working at NV Energy full-time

Pros

Good benefits and great co-workers

Cons

Terrible management. Afraid of any negative comments from the general public, therefor moral is always low.

9. "Accountant"

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Fantastic teammates - some of the finest people you'll ever meet work at NV Energy. The culture is respectful and people are great.

- Solid benefits - Health benefits are pretty standard. Tuition reimbursement is decent. Vacation time is good even though it's no longer front loaded. The 401(k) match is amazing - best match I've ever earned.

- Exciting industry - a lot of change in an industry that hasn't seen much change for decades. From renewable energy to deregulation, it's an interesting time to work at the power company.

- Lot's of opportunities for growth and to learn new things. Room for advancement as well, with a lot of retirements opening up positions that haven't turned over for decades.

Cons

- Not everyone likes change and there has been a lot of change lately, with a lot of change in the future. We were recently acquired by Berkshire Hathaway Energy, which was a rough transition. On the horizon we have the previously mentioned renewable energy changing the market and deregulation changing our business model. This kind of uncertainty can be scary. The company seems to be working hard to communicate and address people's concerns, but it's still unsettling for some co-workers. If you decide to work at NV Energy, you need to be ready to support a rapidly transforming company and industry.

- Lots of long time employees are reaching retirement age and a lot of knowledge is walking out the doors. There aren't always adequately trained replacements for these experienced team members. This can make it harder to learn a new role.

- Hours can be long. At times, there is a lot more work than there is time for family. The hours are not any different than anywhere else I've worked, but it is worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

While succession planning has become a focus, there needs to be a lot more investment made in cross-training with experienced employees before they retire. Don't let that knowledge walk out the door without someone still at the company learning from each and every one of them.

"GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! Or JOIN A UNION"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget Rule No. 1.

Cons

NVEnergy has created nothing but a massive propaganda campaign in justifying the overwhelming “The Power of Good is Always On” to serve Nevada’s customers while “reducing operational cost”. If you are an MPAT employee, you will not last in this environment. NVEnergy cannot operate without the UNION and it will continue to dominate all aspects of the operational decision-making of current and future culture. Management will not challenge the UNION. It is time to leave this company or removed by the “AT-WILL” employment clause. This company has created nothing but an environment that is and will always benefit their best interest. Please join a UNION and be secure in your lifestyle. (HR)

Advice to Management

Rule No. 1: Join a UNION Rule No. 2: Never forget Rule No. 1.