NV Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Paul Caudill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is very clicky, if you don't know someone, you will not advance in the company (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

NV Energy has been a great place to work over the last 9 years. It is a stable company and provides challenging work and promotional opportunities. I personally enjoy it here - the people are great and it is a professional business providing a reliable and essential service to most of the NV population.

I have always had supportive supervisors - although some were better than others. The vacation time (PTO) and compensation are great! The benefits are pretty good - probably similar to other companies. Plus there are other perqs such as tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, etc. I plan to work here until retirement if possible! The CEO and other in senior management communicate regularly through employee meetings to keep us informed on current events like de-regulation (energy choice).

Cons

The only downside for me was a lot of turnover in my department management for the first 6 years, but over the last 3 years it has stabilized quite a bit.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities throughout the company for flexible work schedules. Some departments allow them and others don't.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, supportive environment to work. Being a new employee can be tough; however, everyone that I have encountered at NV Energy, in my new role, has been willing to offer advice, training, and patience as I navigate my way through my new responsibilities. My co-workers are friendly and willing to help. My director takes the time to ensure I have the tools I need to be successful. Overall, I am very pleased to be part of the NV Energy team.

Cons

In all honesty I haven't found a con about working at NV Energy.

"For experienced professionals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is strong and has many opportunities and avenues to work in. The compensation is great and work life balance in many departments is better than most companies. Definitely a drive for success in the organization. You could definitely make a lifetime career here, as many have.

Cons

Not necessarily the best place for entry-level employees in professional positions. Tough to get into the company if you are less-skilled or didn't have intern experience.

4. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Fantastic teammates - some of the finest people you'll ever meet work at NV Energy. The culture is respectful and people are great.

- Solid benefits - Health benefits are pretty standard. Tuition reimbursement is decent. Vacation time is good even though it's no longer front loaded. The 401(k) match is amazing - best match I've ever earned.

- Exciting industry - a lot of change in an industry that hasn't seen much change for decades. From renewable energy to deregulation, it's an interesting time to work at the power company.

- Lot's of opportunities for growth and to learn new things. Room for advancement as well, with a lot of retirements opening up positions that haven't turned over for decades.

Cons

- Not everyone likes change and there has been a lot of change lately, with a lot of change in the future. We were recently acquired by Berkshire Hathaway Energy, which was a rough transition. On the horizon we have the previously mentioned renewable energy changing the market and deregulation changing our business model. This kind of uncertainty can be scary. The company seems to be working hard to communicate and address people's concerns, but it's still unsettling for some co-workers. If you decide to work at NV Energy, you need to be ready to support a rapidly transforming company and industry.

- Lots of long time employees are reaching retirement age and a lot of knowledge is walking out the doors. There aren't always adequately trained replacements for these experienced team members. This can make it harder to learn a new role.

- Hours can be long. At times, there is a lot more work than there is time for family. The hours are not any different than anywhere else I've worked, but it is worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

While succession planning has become a focus, there needs to be a lot more investment made in cross-training with experienced employees before they retire. Don't let that knowledge walk out the door without someone still at the company learning from each and every one of them.

5. "GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! Or JOIN A UNION"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget Rule No. 1.

Cons

NVEnergy has created nothing but a massive propaganda campaign in justifying the overwhelming “The Power of Good is Always On” to serve Nevada’s customers while “reducing operational cost”. If you are an MPAT employee, you will not last in this environment. NVEnergy cannot operate without the UNION and it will continue to dominate all aspects of the operational decision-making of current and future culture. Management will not challenge the UNION. It is time to leave this company or removed by the “AT-WILL” employment clause. This company has created nothing but an environment that is and will always benefit their best interest. Please join a UNION and be secure in your lifestyle. (HR)

Advice to Management

Rule No. 1: Join a UNION Rule No. 2: Never forget Rule No. 1.

6. "Procure & Contract Construction and Services for the Energy Supply to support the generation of our power plants."

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Love coming to work everyday.

Cons

Compensation and salaries scales needs to revisited.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff that is performing the daily task so that everyday can be the most productive and increasing more awarding.

7. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at NV Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay, room for advancement

Cons

everyone is overworked, bureaucratic environment

"Recruitment Adviser"

Current Employee - Recruitment Adviser in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Recruitment Adviser in Reno, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work here are amazing. From the Senior leadership down to our skilled labor force, we all work together to keep our customers rates low and to keep the lights on.

Cons

The utility market is going through a lot of changes and it is sometimes hard for everyone here to change with it.

"Amazing place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at NV Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Military friendly employer with excellent compensation and benefits package. Great leadership within the company that truly cares about its employees and provides remarkable work/life balance!

Cons

Commute to and from work can be challenging based on where you live. Definitely worth it to be part of the team.

"Great pay and benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at NV Energy full-time

Pros

Good benefits! Front loaded PTO. Safety Bonuses at the end of the year.

Cons

A bit of micro-managing. Schedules change every 6 months. There are alot of people with high seniority so will take some time when newer to get a schedule that works for you.