NVIDIA Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is a bit skewed more towards to work side but that depends on person as well (in 154 reviews)

• no work life balance, extremely long hours (in 19 reviews)

"Good and bad"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Daly City, CA

I worked at NVIDIA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got exposed to GPGPU/ GPU computing. Learned software engineering skills that helped me secure my next job

Cons

No growth. Management had decided that I was not one of their favorites for growth.

Advice to Management

heh

2. "Technical Writer"

Former Employee - Technical Writer II in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer II in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company so your experience will depend on whether you work in a good or bad group.

The cafeteria had reasonable food. The work environment was satisfactory.

Cons

If you write documentation for the Tegra processor, your life will be a living hell, unless you enjoy being micromanaged and sabotaged by your manager. However, if you have low self-esteem and a willingness to submit to the pathological machinations of an insecure manager, you will enjoy the sadistic environment.

Advice to Management

Ha, ha, ha! As if management will do anything about the toxic situation that they've known about for years! That's a good one! Management isn't going to help you as you sink and drown in the bilious pool of human waste they created. Bring your own life vest to this party.

"Not so great (software engineer)"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time

Pros

This is update on my previous review. Main thing in "pros" column is decent pay.. Mostly everything else goes to "cons".

Cons

I am not sure what Nvidia's "engaged" status means, but employees are instructed by the upper management to leave positive feedback here (hence all the positive one-liners).

Nvidia has a "yes sir" culture. If you don't believe it - look up Jensen's old lecture on Youtube when he says that the best quality of an employee is ability to accept criticism. Management whims run the show, technical expertise always comes second.

Horrible team dynamics within engineering organization. Management hires their friends, people get fired in retaliation for talking back. Middle management invents work for everyone so they can look useful. Many of my coworkers are openly saying that they are here only for the paycheck.

Seems like there was a honest effort to invest in tools and services for employees at some point, but now mostly everything is broken. Any request to HR or IT takes weeks if not months (but most of the time you won't hear back unless you are able to escalate).

Avoid Nvidia unless you like to feel miserable.

Advice to Management

Look for better ways to manage. Give engineers more control over technical decision. Reward competence, allow people to do their jobs.

"You will regret working here, think HARD"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Intelligent colleagues
    * Good learning resources
    * Lots of growth potential

Cons

* Extremely lacking work life balance, say goodbye to friends and famiy
    * Very poor monetary appreciation of work done
    * Very tight schedules and high stress work environment. You are forever in crunch
    * Benefits keep getting worse each year
    * Company feedback on work life balance and monetary concerns are ignored every year

Advice to Management

Say no to tight schedules

"Information Technology (IT)"

I have been working at NVIDIA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some smart people,

Cons

No Stock Options, bonus or salary increases.
    Required to work like a startup without the perks of a startup.
    Management is weak and unresponsive.
    Lack of money spent on new technology or training.
    To many layers of managers and just to many managers in general.

Advice to Management

You are loosing very good experience people. Spend money to keep good people and flatten

"bad place to work"

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Nothing just do hard work no life

Cons

give a free food in the evening other than that nothing I guess

Advice to Management

Not sure what to advice

8. "My view as a contractor in the IT Department"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at NVIDIA as a contractor

Pros

NONE, unless you are hired as full timer

Cons

Contractors get treated like a second class citizens and not appreciated. Fulltimers dump all the work for contractors to do all the grunt work, while they get to relax and dissapears for hours.
    We don't get invited to company/department events due to liability issue, really???
    We cannot access internal job boards, we have to apply from external site.
    We don't get invited to the team meeting and we don't realize that there is a change in the system/procedure.
    Top performer don't get promoted while the screw-up gets promoted, so the top performer have to clean up after their mess.
    This is the company with the WORST politics ever in their IT department that I have ever seen.
    Good luck in getting converted into full time after a 4-5 years long wait. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Advice to Management

IT is an important aspect of the daily operation, need to invest some money into it. You cannot rely on just 1-2 person in a team to handle everything and don't just rely on metrics.

"Toxic environment in Analog / Mixed Signal Teams"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't seem to offer any pros right now.

Cons

I've worked at Nvidia for 10+ years. Nvidia , as a company, is good. But, what matters is the team / department culture. We used to have a good, low-key environment until few years back. Unfortunately Mixed Signal team has become a horribly toxic environment to work in.There was a reorganization few years back, and then another one...it seems that we are constantly reorganizing so that upper management gets promoted to higher ranks. Many of the original folks left the company to join Apple, Samsung etc. and their positions are filled with these new guys.

Nowadays, there is a very toxic environment and politics. Managers and directors keep promoting themselves, and if something goes wrong in the design, they point their fingers at designers, instead of owning the responsibility. They also fight with each other to get ahead of others, to the point that it is disgusting. It is the worst environment I've encountered in my 15+ years.

I think that the best sign of how bad the situation is can be seen from their job postings. They have been trying to hire one 'quality' senior engineer for a long time (their postings are all over the place), but no good candidate accepts their offer, and he/she goes to other companies such as Apple, and Micron instead. I guess that people know about the environment here.

I suggest that you build your career somewhere else and don't even waste your time with interviews. But, If you decide to apply and if they give you an offer (it is usually above average, for a reason :) ), use it as a leverage against some other offer and move on with your life. You don't wanna waste your time with these folks.

Anyways...I started to prepare my own resume after 15 years here....

Advice to Management

Advice to Jensen: You should watch what is going on in your company before these folks destroy it for you.

"Director of Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice logo. Aggressive marketing team. Forward thinking creative. Good social media exposure. A great cafeteria. Some really nice people work there.

Cons

NVIDIA prides itself on life work balance. Nothing is farther from the truth.
    It is run by a megalomaniac who sticks his nose into businesses randomly.
    There is no upside with this company. They have a strategy called "speed of light" which basically means, we don't have a long term plan. Everything is a fire drill. Intel will eventually drive them to the ground.

Advice to Management

Drop the Speed of Light strategy. It doesn't work. Become a grown up company. Stop the micro managing.

"Pay doesnt match to hard work"

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great learning and extra work load if willing to take up and flexible work hours

Cons

Poor annual bonus, never gives the sign-on guaranteed base pay rise annually, poor first level managers (they are more techie and less into management)

Advice to Management

Have more versatile strong managerial technical first level managers and have better pay compensation policies.

Showing 65 of 1,542 reviews